Alert: Other teams discussion thread Vol. 13. - spoilers within.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 23, 2014.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Rumor is Louis Van Gaal.

Expectations should be top 4-5 finish with a clear philosophy and progress being made. No progress was made during Moyes 10 months.

The next manager will have a lot of money for transfer, tons of room for wages, a squad with promising young players, reliable senior players...

Arsenal don't look god and their the current 4th. So I think it's realistic that they can be surpassed.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  2. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    ok makes sense (i was wondering if i was crazy or biased as a casual fan of BVB)

saw him a bit during his time at dortmund and a few times w/Japan
    he seemed like a good addition to MU and i was pretty sure he would tear up the EPL

just hasnt worked out for him sadly

benni... repped this.
  3. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot to mention not taking over from the most successful coach ever. So basically they will have a lot better chance to succeed than Moyes. Its a good gig if you can get it!

NASI GORENG, Winoman and benni... repped this.
  4. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think MU fans ever really appreciated Ferguson. There's only one Ferguson. There is no replacement. The Chosen One banner was just begging to be mocked. Now, maybe they do appreciate him. And they never fully appreciated that unique state Ferguson gave them with stability and success. It will never be the same. Never.

NASI GORENG and nobletea repped this.
  5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Possibly. Only just now are some, including myself realizing the magnitude of his departure.

6. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, this is neither here not there, but it's interesting that Man U. stuck with Ferguson for several years before he won his first league championship. UCLA did the same with Johnny Wooden, who didn't win his first NCAA championship until he had been on the job for about 15 or 16 years.

Just sayin'.

NASI GORENG and Winoman repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    That was back in horse-n-buggy times. It took 15-16 years for people to get the word that Wotten hadn't won any championships. :rolleyes:

NASI GORENG repped this.
  8. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Absolutely. Wooden was there forever before he ran off 10 in 12. You just never know whether to stick or twist.

9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    According to Wikipedia, he was at UCLA 15 years before they won all those NCAAs. In those 15 years, they won their conference 8 times and never finished below third. It's not like UCLA were holding on to Wooden out of pity.

10. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He was solid. It's just a freaky fact that he was there so long before his program became practically unbeatable. Winning the PCC and then PAC 8 for 8 out of 15 is fine. Winning the national tournament 10 out of 12 with an 88 game unbeaten streak is something else.

His career kind of reminds me of Pink Floyd. They were around for a long time and sold respectably before Dark Side went super nova.

NASI GORENG, Winoman and tallguy repped this.
  11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    A propos of almost nothing, Syd Barrett>Roger Waters

fatbastard repped this.
  12. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh true, but I often wonder, perhaps too much, about Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett as leader for the entirety of the band. A major shift from pop psychedelia to space rock took place with Barrett gone. What would have been...

13. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus, what kind of a choice is that?

Roger Waters = self-absorbed and asking his audience to pay to be his psychoanalyst.

Syd Barrett = this:

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  14. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Syd Barrett was replaced by David Gilmour, so shouldn't that be the the comparison? Wait, what thread is this?

15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At one point in time (in the early 80s) David Gilmour was my favorite guitarist and Gil Moore was my favorite drummer.
    sure, no one else finds this interesting ;)

Winoman repped this.
  16. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, Gilmore replaced him on guitar and [most] vocals, but the creative lead became Waters after Barrett was left out.

Winoman, fatbastard and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  17. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you're saying, and in that case I disagree completely. The Syd Barrett led Floyd was decidedly one note (a great note, but still the one note) whereas the Waters led Floyd ran the gamut from 'Echoes' to 'Run Like Hell'. It's no contest, but I realize I'll never persuade the 'Piper At The Gates of Dawn' lovers.

18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Dirk is still upset that the Rutles took off in popularity only after he was dropped

Winoman and The Cold Sea repped this.
  19. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The great what if is what if Barrett were with it mentally past 1968? Who knows.... I really love the pre-Dark Side albums, though. I love the soundtrack for More and Meddle is a great record. But if I were to pick my favorite song from the catalog it's Lucifer Sam, I confess.

DCUSA repped this.
  20. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman and The Cold Sea repped this.
  21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Having Lew Alcindor & Bill Walton during that stretch did not hurt.

The Cold Sea repped this.
  22. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Syd Barrett? Roger Waters? Is that sorta like Vladimir Horowitz vs. Artur Rubinstein? Please be gentle; popular music is not my speciality.

DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  23. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    maybe this thread will make me finally check out PF

havent heard enough of either era to compare but dolly rocker is a fantastic tune

24. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NY just housed Houston 4-0. I kind of felt like we dodged a bullet getting NY when we did. They are the best team in the East, imo

25. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric and I crossed paths many times in the course of our jobs and we always talked soccer.

Haven't seen anything posted to our board, so FYI.

Fans across MLS mourn passing of Philadelphia Union supporter, Sons of Ben original Eric Shertz
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...hiladelphia-union-supporter-sons-ben-original

Considering we are the next home opponent for the Union, I thought folks should know, particularly those in the SG's, if they didn't already. (which I imagine they do, but just in case)