Brendan Rodgers Liverpool

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by liverbird, Apr 17, 2014.

1. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may have had my doubts but you have to love this statement of the Liverpool Way:

"We will try to do it in the right way -- I take great pride in winning in the most sporting way we can,” he said.

"If you look at us we are top of the Premier League and we are top of the Fair Play League. We don’t surround referees. We want to win, but it shows you a mark of our behaviour.

"They are the values of this club. It’s a club that has won many trophies in the past but had the humility and the class. One word I always had in my mind when I joined Liverpool is ‘class.’ So that is important to me -- that those values are restored."

Form is temporary, class is permanent

RevsLiverpool, asitis, ryered and 6 others repped this.
  2. lcstriker11

lcstriker11 Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He gave a nice speech at the Memorial Service Tuesday. For all of his grandiose quotes about the club since he's been here, you get the feeling that he really means what he says. At first it may have been a bit of "Ok, that's a nice thing to say, but we can see that you're pandering to the fans a bit here...", but the character he's shown and the way that he's carried himself have really backed those quotes up. I think he truly understood coming in what a special job this was - it's not just another big club, it's not just a big opportunity or a stepping stone, it is a truly unique club that requires a special kind of person to manage it successfully. And, if nothing else, he has treated the job and his responsibility exactly the right way, he has said the right things, and he has brought the right mentality. He makes me proud to be a fan.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anyone else think the whole "class" speech was a nice way of telling Moureen to suck on it?

4. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, especially after Terry and a succession of other Chelsea players seemed to get Chico Flores sent off in the Swansea match.

5. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. lotsogolazo

lotsogolazo Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fully believe he's capable of overseeing the club for years. He's ticked all the boxes for me.

7. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His ability to be flexible yet sticking to a general strategic vision of playing good football. The fact that he almost never throws the players under the bus in public (but you can tell by their improvement that he has accountability in private). The only time this season I remember him criticizing the players was after the Palace WIN. He embraces the pressure that comes from managing Liverpool. He doesn't shy away from it, he makes sure that his players understand what this means to the community and the supporters but he asks them to use that as inspiration rather than fear it.

The more success we have the more you can see his plan from the beginning. As I read the eulogies of Moyes' reign you see how Moyes tried to deflect attention from himself to the lack of quality of the side. Something you almost never saw in Brendan. I remember after our away loss to United last year Rodgers said something to the extent that "we are not that far behind them". At the time he was laughed at as pundits pointed to the table. But now we see the genius. He didn't give his players an excuse while also showing faith in him.

Is he perfect, no, I could nitpick as each of us could, but there isn't a manager in the league I would trade him for (possibly in the world).

asitis repped this.
  8. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I hope BR stays for a long, long time...and continues with job he's been doing...and the success!

9. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I had a dream the other night in which he retired after 9 seasons with 3 league titles, 2 CL's, and 1 FA Cup...

10. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That'll do...

11. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    FSG gets a lot of credit. Typically clubs with top 4 aspirations hire managers with big-team experience to manage their team. Most managers who manage teams like Swansea typically need a super strong showing to get the calling to manage a top club.

12. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they went with the qualities they wanted rather then the resume. Now lets hope FSG sticks with it and backs BR in the summer.

13. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    http://www.football365.com/liverpoo...ol-ready-to-be-busy-in-summer-transfer-market

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a whopping 60M?

it's probably more like 60M plus sales.

15. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-against-defensive-Chelsea.html#ixzz30kWRs7Uh

16. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16 liverbird, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  17. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Four more years of this? If we continue to progress at the rate of the last 18 months....:eek::inlove:

18. hoffa989

hoffa989 Member

Nov 3, 2012
    In Rodgers we trust! I honestly expect two BPL titles, at least one FA Cup and at least one CL semi-final. At least.

19. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 newterp, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
    liverbird repped this.
  21. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A good read, indeed. The popular wisdom is that the way we play leaves us open to leaking goals because we are imbalanced. I find that hard to believe as we have not been ripped open by great strikers (and attackers ); instead we have regularly throughout the season been offering gifts to the opposition. I agree with Rodgers-- it's a lack of concentration by individuals.

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well-deserved. I wonder what kind of money he'll get.

25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia