Is Riquelme the most overrated South American?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by laudrup_10, Aug 24, 2013.

1. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You are the textbook definition of an a-hole, sir. If you're looking for childish and stupid posts, then look no further than the garbage that I'm quoting.

Are you talking about the Iniesta who did nothing when Bayern Munich destroyed Barcelona last season? Xavi is old and past-it, it's impossible to overlook that fact: Xavi is not the same player, and he isn't getting any younger. Messi was injured. And Iniesta was our only player who was (a) fit and (b) in his peak years still. What did Iniesta do against Bayern Munich? Nothing, Barca lost 7-0, Iniesta was a complete non-factor in both games. Why? If Iniesta is such an incredible player, why would Barcelona receive such a beating?

It's very difficult to imagine Barca loosing 7-0 with a younger Xavi Hernandez on the team.

Iniesta is more "virtuoso" than Xavi, when it comes to technique. But Xavi has more dimension when it comes to all-around game. Xavi can "carry" a team, Iniesta cannot. Iniesta can be easily replaced by Frank Ribery or some other player. On the other hand, Xavi is more difficult to replace.

And of course: Zidane had some great performances? Well the same goes for Xavi. I don't know what you're trying to prove or argue, but you sound like an idiot for the most part. Have a good day, sir.

greatstriker11 and Pipiolo repped this.
  2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #452 JamesBH11, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    As soon as someone say "Riquelme is overrated" he just "underrated " him ....

Riquelme was among the very very top skillful player = ( once called a "new Maradona")
    but ... too bad his unlucky spell at Barca had extinguished the fire of his talent and hunger ...

I could only name two weaknesses in Riquleme's games (which affected his great potential)
    1- He was kinda a bit slow - in speed and in reaction
    2- He often required a team to play (for him and under his playmaking style) in order to show his best (meaning less adaptation)

Other than that he was a "great skillful" player who could win the "best player" in his best anytime
    ========================================

Give Riquleme a ball to play practicing with Messi and CR7, I am sure the latter two would be amazed and could have learned a few things from him!

3. James88

James88 Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    this not have relevance, this is one game where everything Barcelona has sucked. Why Xavi should be justified? Xavi was 33 years old, he was not old. This arguments are weak. There have been other games where Xavi was not good and Iniesta was better.

It's very difficult to imagine Barca loosing 7-0 with a younger Xavi Hernandez?? Why?? for me is simple to imagine. Your arguments are absolutely idiotic, based on fantastic assumptions,
    We can't know what he could a young Xavi against Bayern. Xavi was a superhuman when he was young??
    I always thought a player like many others. It has never been a player who changed the game, much less against this Bayern.

Your arguments are absolutely ridiculous, based on alternative worlds in which Xavi has faced as a young man and was able to prevent the 7 goals of Bayern.
    this only happened in your mind, in real life Xavi was not good against Bayern like Iniesta and others Barcellona players.
    this is the end of history, we can only based on this

What does Xavi with Zidane? Who compared Zidane with Xavi??
    The only idiot I think it's you, polemical with anyone who thinks differently from you, about your idols

and Sorry
    Zidane>riquelme
    Xavi>iniesta
    Ronaldo>Maradona
    now you can also kill yourself, after reading my shocking statements. :whistling:

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You really have no clue what you're talking about. By the way, it was not one game versus Bayern Munich, it was two matches where Barcelona was drubbed.

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I agree with you in general.

First Barca did NOT lose 7-0 but two games 3-0 and 4-0.
    Secondly, Xavi was not GOD of Barca, and even at his best form in younger age he had seen enough games when Barca were lost 3 to 4 gaols:
    ... for example
    Inter 3-1 (2010)
    4-1 (Real 2008)
    Gefate 4-0 2007
    Chelsea 4-2 2004

Some people are in the MOON and think Xavi, Messi were liek GOD (a la Pele) but FORGOT they were just LUCKY STAR who happened to play for the greatest BARCA team in history with >15 worldclass players.

Look how Xavi + Messi + Iniesta do against a SOLID ORGANIZED defensive team in Chelsea:
    Since 2004 (Xavi was YOUNG and so were Messi and Iniesta)
    Barca vs Chelsea : P 10 W 2 D 5 L 3 GF 12 GA 14

Both Xavi and Messi were not doing MUCH there surely (thanks to Ronaldinho 3goals, Etoo 2goals Gudjohnsen 2goals Iniesta 2goals)

The truth is ... Barca were in transition (new coach, older players and new tactics) and they were CAUGHT RED HAND against another great team Bayern (no shame) who exploited them good in their weakness: Play WIDE and Play FAST. That's all, neither Messi, nor Xavi Iniesta could help about this ...

6. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm sorry, but your whole post there is just ridiculous.

1st ~ Messi was injured against Bayern Munich. Yes he could have made a great difference against Bayern, but he was injured. Please stop saying that "there's nothing that Messi could've done" when the man was injured.

2nd ~ when Barcelona did not win against Chelsea, it was by a very small margin.... it was not a 7-0 after two games.

Very simple points, really. Did Barcelona ever lost a Champions League semi-final by 7-0 between 2005 and 2010? Why do you mentioned Pele in this discussion? Why do you always belittle Lio Messi every chance you get?

Simple questions, and I'd like straight logical answers for a change.

Jaweirdo repped this.
  7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #457 JamesBH11, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    Say that to yourself! As if you EVER got any "logical" argument?

First of all, you kept saying Barca will not lose 7-0 if Xavi was young ! LOGIC said: Barca never lose 7-0, but 4 and 3 in TWO DIFFERENT OCASIONS

So I brought games where Barca lost 3 and 4 goals with Xavi still YOUNG.

================================================

Lastly, I never wanted to "belittled" Messi. I just want to BRING FACTS to "CALM" you guys who praised Messi and HYPED him up GREAT more than he already is!

Well, in fact , lats post I did "GRANT" Messi a free Assist in credit - He only had 1 ass/8 or 9 games vs Chelsea (not 2 like I wrote). If I really want to "belitle" Messi, I would probably said: Messi scored ZERO GOALS/8or9 games vs Chelsea OK?

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #458 argentine soccer fan, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    This past Sunday was Juan Roman Riquelme's 17th year anniversary of his debut in first division. He celebrated with two assists in the last five minutes to lead Boca Juniors to a come-from-behind 2-1 win over Tigre in a game they had to win in order to stay alive in the title race.

Dr. Know, Moishe and Pipiolo repped this.
  9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To be fair, the first assist is all the work of the kid Paredes, a sensational ground shot that was unstoppable for the goalie. The second assist though is a gem from Riquelme, and a clutch play in the last minute of the match.

By the way, that's some colorful, ribald language from the commentator after the winner: "men getting excited, women getting wet" :eek: Please post a not safe for work warning next time :D

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Somebody should take the time to translate all Saavedra's comments after Boca's second goal. He's all over the place, ranging from Candy Crush to Shakespeare, as well as the sexual metaphors. I suppose it's par for the course for Argentine radio.

Pipiolo repped this.
  11. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, it is a "programa partidario" (a transmission for Boca fans, not from a neutral point of view) so he's allowed to...

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Boca lost the superclasico today, but check out this goal by Riquelme.

Pipiolo repped this.
  13. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He'll be able to do that til the day he dies.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Riquelme vs Tigre earlier this evening

el-torero repped this.
  15. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    form is temporary, class is permanent

16. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I also mean with this that Riquelme looks suddenly underrated, if one looks at the February 2001 market value.

Aimar and Denilson was on par with him.

Djalminha, Nonda slightly below him.

And of the players ahead of him, only Rivaldo makes some sense at hindsight. Riquelme looks underrated in comparison with Saviola, Flavio Conceicao, Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka.
    football-ratings.blogspot.com/2014/04/top-players-market-value-13-years-ago.html

If those values were correct of course

JamesBH11 and msioux75 repped this.
  18. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Nice info.
    Among the players listed, definitively he is

19. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    That was correct ... info back then

Both Aimar and Riquleme were regarded as "new Maradona"
    Denilson was kinda "new Ronaldo" (in term of dribbling and steps over LOL)

msioux75 repped this.
  20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Oct 013:32PM EDT
    Riquelme, modern football's Giant Panda

[​IMG]
    Riquelme is the last of a dying breed of playmaker, one that the game is steadily passing by.

Species: Enganche
    Family: Playmaker
    Conservation status: Endangered
    Natural habitat: South America, particularly the Rio de la Plata basin

Instead, his performance in the press conference had all of the qualities that many attribute to the playing style of the classic "enganche" -- a lazy, gloomy wanderer of occasional merit.

With managers in Europe subscribing to this point of view, it's Riquelme's (perceived) lethargy that has contributed to extinguishing any hope of the traditional Argentine "diez" (No. 10) taking hold on the old continent. With Roman arguably the purest player to ever play the position, if he couldn’t conquer Europe, then who else could?

bsas and el-torero repped this.
  21. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He almost did conquer europe with Villarreal when he unluckily missed that PK which would have changed the gmae vs. Arsenal.

They were for me, the best team in europe at that time in that awesome run in the Champions league missing the final at teh minimalist of margins.

Pipiolo repped this.
  22. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    @ anyone interested in Puck's pathetic victim act when in fact he *consistently* attacks players and people from certain nationalities,

There are quite many commentaries in which Puck is quite open about his dislike for Argentina and also for Spain. I can't look for all the golden nuggets of examples that must surely be scattered all over bigsoccer as the months go by, but I can offer a few classic examples of Puck either (a) being quite open about his dislike for all things Argentine or Spanish or Latin, or (b) just using an obvious derogative undertone for the people he has reasons to dislike.

^
    Classy, as ever. He then tries to turn the situation upside down by, as ever, playing the victim in his pathetic effort to use a transparent bullshit excuse in order to justify his pathetic prejudice towards people (and players) of certain nationalities.

^
    I know you are happy about that Puck, no need to shove it down my throat when the writing was on the wall long ago.

^
    Of course, playing the victim when he obviously is the aggressor time and time again; not only that, but then he is actually shameless enough to blame "emotional South Americans" (because we all know how South Americans tend to be emotional as opposed to reasonable -- which is where people like Puck come in) for him taking a shit upon an entire country because... why was it again? Oh that's right, because he did not agree with the shitty bullshit of some emotional South Americans.

Oh and, of course, South Americans win their trophies by cheating and rigging draws. Bear in mind, that the thread was supposed to be about Roman Riquelme being overrated.

^
    Do note, that I do not insult Puck, I do not even mention Puck in the post quoted above, and yet Puck responds with,

^
    Clearly, Leadleader who was not talking with Puck nor about Puck, gets ridiculed by Puck, and then Puck wants to claim that Leadleader is the aggressor -- Puck has employed the same exact tactic time and time again.

Pretty transparent stuff to be honest, and there's a lot more from where that came from. I won't even bother showing his private messages because he insulted me then privately, and I'd like to keep it that way, but as you can see, plenty of public prejudice in plain sight.

23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #473 PuckVanHeel, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    In all those instances you are really clueless. I say Sergio Ramos is a dirty player (which he really is with his track record), and you started ranting. Of course I return the favour.

People start attacking my country when I argue Riquelme is massively overrated, so of course I respond in kind (or stay away for a while).

They call my country and players "diving scum" (without base and proof), and because no sensible argument really helped and the ranting continued I responded in similar fashion.

Of course I laughed at you, because you started the whole ranting. As ever you call people "morons", "biased", "clowns" whatever so of course I laughed at that. That is also the least worst option isn't it?

Etcetera.

What you try to do is excuse yourself for hostile behaviour in recent threads. Where it is without question you who started attacking. What happened - or did not happen - some time ago doesn't excuse you from being so aggressive in a number of threads lately. And not only to me by the way.

And it is sad you continue your vendetta on this place. Stop with it.

24. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    The only case Riquleme was considered as "overrated" IF ... people expected him to be a "Maradona"

Otherwise he did very very good in Liga and Argentina NT, and he was great for Boca

msioux75 repped this.
  25. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    many have said that one of the highest peak in term of performance in the football history was done by ronaldinho in la liga 2004-2005

& riquelme have been voted as best foreign player in la liga 2004-2005

that should tell something

greatstriker11 repped this.