23 Tickets to Brazil

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by flem16, May 18, 2011.

1. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    A lot of the Bornstein criticism was well, well overblown at times. And yeah, CONCACAF isn't the group of death, but there's no clear cut best option at RB. You're freaking out because a guy shoved into a position that isn't the one he plays at club level did an acceptable job during qualifying, is probably an average option at his position relative to what we have available, and as a result is probably going to go to a World Cup and contribute.

Evans is probably just as good as Parkhurst in the same role, which says more about Parkhurst than it does about Evans. Neither guy is especially quick. Both have to rely on playing smart. Neither one is super effective going forward.

2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we finished first. Is he due for a loss?

3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    No..I corrected my screwup upthread; for some dumb reason I thought that CRC finished ahead of us.

4. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take Edu as an extra mid over Evans.

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were with 2 games to go, I think.

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think all of these players we are talking about will be in the 30 player roster from there the better should rise to the top, I hope prior game results doesn't come in to the equation.

7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't love Evans either, but this is totally correct. Bringing up Bornstein just doesn't make the other poster's point since he played well in SA.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Well, they'd be filling very different roles. I'd rather take Edu than Beckerman, since they both do the same job and have the same limitations going forward, but Edu is at least quick enough for this level and I don't think Beckerman is.

I'm not really sure who would be competing for Evans's spot, though, beyond Yedlin. Cameron is better used as a DM with Bradley, or as a CB.

Please don't get me wrong; I'm not some big Evans fan. I never felt totally comfortable with him out there, but credit where credit is due. He gave an honest account of himself out there.

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Maybe that's what stuck in my head.

Are you talking about prior game results, or prior game performances?

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly what I'd classify him as with Ghana/Port/Germ attacking our right flank with a talent level Evans has never faced.

Evans did look like a traffic cone full of suck when we were at Bosnia. Hell, he looked out of his depth at Scotland at times. How guys do in CONCACAF if one thing, how their skill/ability translates to a higher level in Brasil is another. I see no carryover from Evans' success in CONCACAF to Brasil. But that's just me.

Success at one level doesn't equate to success at another. I'd put Cam/Chandler/Parky at RB before him without hesitating, without the success at RB in WCQing as that means little at this point.

noscrusir and rlrcpa repped this.
  11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking about rating a player higher simply because we haven't lost when he played. Same goes for OG vs Mexico games, I don't think we ever lost with him either. It doesn't mean they are the best.

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could be, but the big flaw in this oft-repeated "logic" is that while this may be true, there is usually little reason to believe that players who play worse against CONCACAF opposition will somehow do better against "quality" opponents.

13. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    That's fair enough, and I agree with that.

14. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For those of you that don't venture over to USA Men to often we are conducting a couple poles to see if we can guess JKs 30 man roster using crowd sourcing.

Who will JK pick for his 30? (PICK 15 ONLY)

JKs last 4 in the 30? (pick 4)

After 2 poles and over 70 total votes we have narrowed the field to 26 we are still working on the last 4 spots. We could use the help.

Here are the 26 so far.
    Defenders 8:
    Beasley
    Besler
    Cameron
    Evans
    Gonzalez
    Goodson
    F Johnson
    Parkhurst

Midfielders 8:
    Bedoya
    Bradley
    Beckerman
    Davis
    Diskerud
    Edu
    Jones
    Zusi

Offense 7:
    Altidore
    Dempsey
    Donovan
    Johanssson
    E Johnson
    Green
    Wondowloski

GK 3:
    Howard
    Guzan
    Rimando

...and there is this pole to guess the starting 11.

Who would you pick in your starting 11 for WC 2014?

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Dempsey's record in the Confederations and WC is pretty awesome, yet he's never scored against for example Mexico...

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Of course that would have made it 3-0 had he done so. Nobody wants that.

BrianLBI, OGx3, Editor In Chimp and 2 others repped this.
  17. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think there was a game he gave up a goal in, but later put the game winner/ tying goal in on a volley ( I think) off a set piece.

So you are mostly correct, I can live with a player that concedes an occassional goal as long as he goes and gets one to make up for it.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    donovan, wondo, ej, ????
    dempsey, ?????
    benny, bedoya, zusi
    bradley, jones, rasta, edu
    beez, fj, besler, omar, gooch, parkhurst, cameron
    howard, guzan, rimando

In the hunt:

Castillo and Ream at leftback: El Homie looks to have wrested control of the LB spot at Xolos. Ream's average WS rating at LB since late Feb would make him the top rated LB in the C'ship.

Goodson and Brooks at centerback: the pool's least interesting centerback vs I can't play this week cuz of my tattoo parlor appointment.

Tim Chandler at rightback: can America's most committed international make it back in time?

Williams at central midfield: can the knee hold together when we all know JK is not a cartilage friendly coach.

Altidore vs AJ vs Boyd vs Agudelo:<sniff>why, Charlie Davies. why??</sniff>

Mix: please tell me the reason he hasn't been starting in Norway is because of injury.

19. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I erally got a laugh out of this part of your post.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Completely agree with your sentiment. I do not feel there is a big gap in the soccer IQ between the three players. Beckermann may possess better postional awareness in a holding role. The other two may have better box to box ability. I think all three have the ability to play a holding role for us.

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4521 Heist, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Of the three, (whether a fair comparisson or not since the other guys have had fewer chances) Beckerman has shown a great ability to play a specific role and make Bradley a better player when he is there. Jones also sometimes does that well. Edu and Williams are both good players and can do some things that Beckerman is not as good at, but at the specific role of the defensive midfielder, Beckerman is clearly better on his own AND makes Bradley better as well.

22. RCool

RCool Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron > Williams > Beckerman > Playing a man down > Edu

23. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you watch our games at the last World Cup?

24. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drop Evans from the 23. Move F.Johnson to LB. Move Donovan to LM. Insert Wondo as the 4th forward. Easy! :thumbsup:

However, I am not sure Green makes it. He's got to show something in the May camp.

Also, since Klinsi really likes warrior-players, and given your comment about possibly being overrun in defensive midfield, it would not entirely shock me to see Klinsi take all 3 of Beckerman, Edu, and Williams and leave Diskerud off.

25. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not picking Evans for the Cup team, but I have a ton of respect for the guy. When JK's right back pool evaporated for a while there, Evans stepped up big time. And he scored a massive goal for the US, too.

But over the years there have been many players who were very important during qualifiers but then still didn't make the Cup team. Casey. Ching. Ralston. On and On. Evans would be in very good company serving the US bravely but still missing the Cup team. No shame in that.

RCool and aarond23 repped this.