Champions League Semi Finals: April 22nd, 2014- Club Atletico de Madrid vs Chelsea FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Doubt Hazard is available as well.

2. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Huh? I just said we don't have any excuses, not there are any lol… and all I'm saying is there is no need to play Atletico like they're the second coming of the 1970 Brazil team like we did today come the 2nd leg.

3. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Did you see our bench? Who would you have started? Oscar? ...who is in terrible form. Van Ginkel? Ba?

We played for the draw against a red hot Atletico. Sure it is boring to watch but we do have some injury concerns. The second leg will be pretty similar. Hope to God Hazard plays a role.

I guess Sunday is a wash as far as Jose is concerned. Hope he plays a B side.

4. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bro.. reread my post.

actually… here.

5. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Which implies you thought we treated them that way today. Whatever

6. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Which.. we did.. and I have no problem with it.. it is what it is. I was only referring to the second leg tho initially.

7. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think you might be in for a disappointment then :)

8. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lol, good talk.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's covering his arse in case we lose and giving the players an out.

10. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    #260 fernb8, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    hopefully a few more attacking options will help make up for the lack of defensive ones

11. BluePict

BluePict Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So in summary (a Ron Manager Poem/stream of un-consciousness):

0-0
    we got a result
    win at home
    draw away
    we got a result
    the ideal result would have been a 1-1 - the away goal
    but we got the away draw like you are supposed to do in BIG European games
    0-0
    BUT
    we're really boring though
    we play boring football
    How is that happening with the players we have?

at the end of the day (the sun goes down)

Ramieres is a liability
    Most booked player in the league
    Terry out for the season
    Now Luiz has more pace so Terry out doesnt worry me as much as before
    as much as it should do?
    Luiz will be fine
    Plus Terry will still turn up for games in a kit even if he aint playing
    Worried about Cech being out
    But Schwarzer has had his clanger already and I don't see another coming
    We have a great defence around the Schwarz anyways

Could we score in a brothel?
    We need to be able to score
    this - as always - is the biggest problem we have
    Oscar
    Hazard
    Willian
    FINISH STRONG

Kerry Dixon's Boots and Cletis repped this.
  12. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The drop off from JT to Luiz in defense is huge. There's a reason Mourinho has kept Cahill and Jt together when healthy for virtually every game. And then the drop off from losing Luiz in midfield in front of that defense(with Matic cup tied and Lampard and Obi suspended) is even bigger. I'd almost say play Ivan at Centerback and keep Luiz in front of the back 4 with Ramires and Oscar.

mshankb, Wrath and Blueallthru repped this.
  13. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is where I'm at at this point. It isn't at all ideal, but the two cards to Mikel and Lamps created a bigger mess than losing JT.

Right now we need Luiz in midfield.

14. Cletis

Cletis Member+

Jul 12, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say I'm very excited by what I saw from our 50mil man Diego Costa yesterday. I'm honestly cringing at the thought that we're going to break the bank for this guy. He's a twat, with high failure potential in England imo. I really hope its all a media smoke screen and the club has different plans.

Brock Hannsen repped this.
  15. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Who would you recommend? Diego is the only viable option IMO.

16. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i think what concerns me (from my extremely limited viewing) is a lot of the goals he has scored in the league this year have been on the break, running at defenders, and some from crosses. so in other words, he's basically what we know Lukaku is good at, and what Jose from his own description, isn't really looking for. we still would need a forward that can link well enough and play in tight spaces enough to help us break down bunkering teams. and from what i've seen (again, limited it is), Costa doesn't really seem to be that guy? and yea, he bully's spanish league defenders which lets not get carried away and say they are bad or overly weak defenders, but you DO get bigger and stronger defenders in england. who know's how he'll react. the guy looks like a really good two footed finisher. you can't deny him that. but right now, how he's been getting there, i'm just not sure he's a fit for what we need. then again, if he's good enough he'll adapt. but i'm not a paid professional that could tell you these things.

please correct me if i'm wrong on him. he's big and fast and we've missed that recently, so maybe he'd be good? then again, he's a good finisher. and we've been sorely lacking in that department.

fernb8 repped this.
  17. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Scouring the top scoring charts across Europe is fascinating. Here are some interesting bits.

Luca Toni has 18 goals for Hellas Verona.
    Falcao only has 9 for Monaco.
    Fredy Montero (ex-Sounders) has 13 goals for Lisobon.
    Zlatan has 25 goals (next closest in Ligue 1 is 16).
    Our old pal Kalou has 12 goals.

Up to me, Lewandowski would've been perfect, but I'd rather spend less than 50m on Balotelli. Jose seems to love Willian, but I'd ship him out for Reus.

Wrath repped this.
  18. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't know about Costa either. For me, perhaps dealing with another headcase like Ballotelli is worth the risk as he's proven in the league.

19. Cletis

Cletis Member+

Jul 12, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are probably right, he may well be the best option, and perhaps the only viable option on the market. I guess its probably a discussion best had in the transfer thread, but I'll admit this is just my gut feeling on Costa based on very little actual information or observation. My opinion may reflect personal bias against Spanish teams. I don't pretend to be able to judge talent based on what I see from my couch, nor do I fully understand what Mourinho wants to build. I do have faith in the manager and the club and will support any player they bring in, but would love to see Lukaku, Bamford, Piazon leading the attack some day, rather than just going out and buying the hottest most expensive player at the peak of his market once again.

Miguel Alvarez, fernb8 and Blueallthru repped this.
  20. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't often agree with you but this is spot on.

Cletis repped this.
  21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great... now what are the REST of us supposed to do :mad:

:D

Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  22. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hm.. you mean to say you'd rather use a premier league proven entity that would come to us for free as opposed to spending obscene amounts of money on unproven, flavor of the month foreign imports?

Sounds crazy… but it just might work.

fernb8 repped this.
  23. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I can't say that I have watched a lot of Costa but he seems to be a stronger version of Suarez (including the antics) minus the dribbling skills. He is excellent at running behind defenders which will be heartening to see after enduring Torres for so long. Also, he is generally the player who scores the first goal to open the game which suits us fine.

He is also a player who constantly harries the defenders. The back four will be constantly occupied leaving the likes of Hazard, Oscar, etc to exploit the openings. With our current pressing team, adding Costa and a CM who can transition quickly (Van Ginkel maybe), we will be formidable against big teams.

I agree I would have preferred Lewa because he links up better but to me he is the next best thing.

Again, this does not address our problems against sides that bunker and I really have no idea what the plan is for them. I would like the Reus for Willian exchange as Brock mentioned but that will not happen. Kroos maybe?

fernb8 repped this.
  24. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Small boys? In the park? Jumpers for goalposts? Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous.

Giggsy Wiggsy? Marvellous, isn't it.

25. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I quite like Costa, he plays not with just confidence but a fire. He went up against the best CB partnership in England and didn't back down from the challenge. Not only does he score goals on the break, he's great running off the shoulder of the last defender, he's def not afraid to score tough goals in the box(Torres' worst nightmare), but he's also confident with the ball being played into his feet and uses his strength and balance to hold off defenders. He doesn't remind me of Lukaku at all, more of a bigger Aguero type? I don't know how much money he is worth, but if we go into next season with Costa and Lukaku, I am not crying about the transfer fee.

fernb8, cokeyounut, Wrath and 1 other person repped this.