It's A Cruel, Cruel Summer - The Summer Transfer Dread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I want Shaw, but I do not think that he should get that much per week, make him prove himself and earn it

johno and tscboys repped this.
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That fee is outrageous but the wages are worse. If we give an 18 yo 100k/week we are going to have to restructure our entire wage bill. The next day Rooney will want 800k/day.

3. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I'm cool with it.

5. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Guess we'll have to pay over the top to get him if we want him.

Not sure about the wages though, it might be exaggerated.

Anyway, is Woodward deciding targets if this is true ? Would be better first to appoint a manager, i guess.

6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    doubt that is true. but even in the worst case scenario that all of it is at least he should be good for 10 years at least so overtime the investment will not be so bad. at least the fee anyway and he would still have resale value. if we paid that for Baines however....

i'd rather give it a pass with those numbers though. throw £7m at Porto for Alex Sandro or one in France if there are any good ones to be had

7. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ogden and Daniel Taylor both saying we want Cavani. :confused:

They've been generally reliable so strange, though has to be bollocks but all papers saying we will push ahead of deals regardless of the manager appointment process.

8. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    And the plan for our midfield is to sign Cesc :eek:

What could go wrong?

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A few things:

1. Cesc wouldn't be a bad signing. He's got a bit to offer and he's quality. He'd instantly be our best attacking CM.
    2. I have no problem 30m fee particularly if it includes performance clauses which it likely would.
    2a. 100k a week is ludicrous though and I don't think that is likely. He'd probably get 80k a week just to get him over Chelsea but at 100k a week with the goal of having a LB for a decade, it would make more sense to purchase a world beater for 4 years and groom his understudy who could be bought for peanuts and paid less.

10. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    A lot of this seems like Arsenal's method of media deflection, leaking ostentatious transfer news to stop the focus being on the manner of the Moyes ousting, the embarrassment to the board and the catastrophic failure of SAF's last act as manager.

I don't know why we'd still want Cesc when it's not AMs that we need; I don't know why we'd want Cavani for 50-60m when we've already got RVP and look very unlikely to ditch that fact hunter Rooney. Shaw at £70-80k a week I'd tolerate but throwing more at it to force the move is plausible as a mildly desperate act to finally pull off a victory against a rival this season.

But why would all this money be spent now without knowing who our next manager is or whether he'd want us to shoot out £150-200m wad on these players? One or two pre-WC signings at a low cost makes sense; maybe just beating Chelsea to the signing of Shaw as a statement of intent. But what good is that huge rebuilding kitty if it's all been spent in areas where we don't need it?

It's clearly a targeted PR effort to leak all this now; whether there's substance behind it is hard to gauge following last summer's shambolic affair with almost exactly the same players.

11. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Then why have Evra sign another three year deal. Doesn't make sense.

We actually are kinda over stacked with below average middies we need to get rid of some of them. Ando, Cleverley, Carrick, Fellaini, Fletcher, add to that Fabregas.

12. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    Really don't want Cavani....

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Make no mistake, Cavani would be great in the PL leading the line if RVP was to leave. Big, fast, stronger, hard-working, and a clinical finisher.

14. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Which isn't working and making us look even more stupid. Really bush league stuff.

Seriously, we've even managed to balls up sacking an awful manager. Heads need to fucking roll.

15. canandaigua

canandaigua Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Canandaigua, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that his salary makes it really difficult, but does anyone know enough about the new Financial Fair Play rules to know if there are any big sides that could readily absorb Rooney's salary if the new manager wanted to sell him. He certainly has his moments, but they are fewer and farther between these days. I would be fine with the following as our attacking quartet, although it would be much better if could sign Reus to start on the left.

van Persie/Welbeck

Januzaj/Young Mata/Kagawa Nani/Valencia

16. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    Wouldn't mind Garay for that CB spot at all, especially since his contrat runs out in 2015. That would make it 4 CB's which is more than enough for around 40 matches next season.

17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    funny, 3 years ago most were against signing him and Gaitán

18. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Still am

nimma, johno and jeff070 repped this.
  19. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    I would think most still are.

nimma and johno repped this.
  20. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Guys, Shaw is charging us 30K no-CL tax.

The rest of the summer is going to be like this. We are going to have to overpay on bonuses or salary to get players who would otherwise goto CL clubs (Chelsea). Or we only get players that top clubs are competing for.

Woodward seems quite willing to splash the cash to save his ass. I cant complain myself, we do need to spend money. And whatever his flaws, there can be little argument that Woodward is one of the reasons we have money to spend.

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I love how everyone thinks we are definitely signing Shaw. Unless the signing was almost wrapped up, I don't see us pushing through any new deals until a permanent manager is appointed.

22. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    some Bosnian unknown? OK...

24. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats great but we don't need him, and if he does come here that means RVP is most likely gone which is fine, but then even still we wouldn't need Cavani.

25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    he just turned 27. someone a bit younger would be better but i wouldn't say no