Have You Stopped Laughing Yet? - OTT

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Willian functions best as a part of a cohesive side, and what he mostly offers is decent quality on the ball with excellent workrate. He presses extremely well and makes decent decisions with the ball. The problem is that he lacks the ability to take players on - not what he does. When he's the only creative player, he struggles. The idea is for him to be a third banana next to Oscar and Hazard, though Oscar's off-form, which has forced Willian to play more. He's very solid for this level, though generally unspectacular (although he's certainly occasionally capable of a spectacular shot). He's not worth 30mm - though we'll see how he plays next season. He had an odd season last year (moving to Anzhi for a cup of tea) and first seasons in England often go poorly. I don't expect him to be much better, but he may well be somewhat better.
    Jitty doesn't like him because his offensive output isn't sufficient for his price tag, but I mostly find that a bit of a joke, because his designation of "drones" is so ridiculously selective. Jitty sings the praises of Klopp and his "modern football", despite Dortmund employing utter clods like Kuba and (chortle) Grosskreutz.

TLDR - he's a much better version of Valencia.

benni... and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    thanks. lines up with what i thought. passes well enough but not going to unlock anything really. think he is worth a bit more than 30 millimetres though

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #1353 The Jitty Slitter, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    You misread my post.

Müller is a drone just as DS described. A very technical workhorse who can shore up a whole wing or play like a worker ant at 10.

As DS went on to describe - in the absence of these technical runners - in England you see the likes of Danny Welbeck and Phil Jones turning out in midfield for Man U vs Real.

That is obviously quite limiting to the type of football you can play.

But the distance is valued higher than footballing ability.

Its that sort of thinking that sees you swapping a 50pt+ 10 in Mata for a guy with virtually no offensive output to speak of.

Edit: Also re Kroos - he is very much the modern midfielder.

4. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    So Willian is basically a Mourinho's version of Park? That's not worth 30 mil.

Arsenal_NGA and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The trouble is the players aren't good enough to attack vs that heavy defensive pressure.

Athletico won't commit players centrally to pass through the low block.

Chelsea players lose the ball against the gegen press because they are not equipped with the right tactics and experience to cope with it.

Its not like its the first year that English teams have played like this.

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Inflation...:)

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Its nearly enough money to buy Goetze!

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  9. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    I just flat out don't understand what the problem is, then. If Kroos and Muller embody modern football, and they're perfectly complementary with (and even reliant on) virtuoso talents like Ribery and Robben, then modern or 'drone' football seems to be in pretty good shape. I'm not sure much can be made from pointing to Welbeck and Jones starting versus Madrid (aside from the fact that lumping them together seems harsh on Welbeck). That's an approach necessitated by an unbalanced squad, it's not an ideal that's being striven for. I don't see how the coping mechanisms used by English sides that have fallen behind the curve are somehow twisted into being indicative of what's happening in football generally.

I can understand disliking Jose's approach. The whole 'better back in the day' wistfulness in DS' post and that seems to underlie the disdain for 'drones' seems exaggerated, though. Jose's pragmatism is hardly representative of football generally, and even Jose's recent and current sides have featured the likes of Ozil, Hazard and now Salah as well.

I also think it's worth noting when those posts by DS were originally made, and what has happened subsequently. This was before Fabregas emerged as arguably the best Premier League midfielder, before Xavi-Iniesta dominated international football and before Pirlo carried Italy to the Euro 2012 finals. That powerful Chelsea side, in other words, hasn't necessarily proven to be a blueprint or a sign of things to come.

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You seem to be answering a whole lot of arguments I never made.

My original criticism was of the rise of average drones like Willian selected at the expense of a more creative footballer, because he can run around a lot. In other words, the defensive meterage is valued over offensive production.

The likes of Bayern are not spending 30m on people like him. They require their players to have high levels of technical skill as well e.g, Mario Goetze.

The point that DS was presciently making is that the big EPL teams have prioritized physical output over technical skill and that is precisely how they have fallen behind.

Utd didn't end up with athletes like Valencia, Jones and Welbeck by accident - it is because SAF valued those attributes while only dabbling with the likes of Kagawa.

DS wanted to see more players like Fabregas bought in - so you have the blend of physical output and technical ability.

The trouble with what has happened is that the English teams lack the ability to play against the gegen press because they don't have the skill set in midfield.

jeff070 repped this.
  11. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    DS' point though was that this emphasis on physicality was the direction that football in general was heading. Thus his lamentation about Brazil, Argentina and Ivory Coast being outliers at the 2006 World Cup. I don't think that's proven to be the case, though.

I don't see why you would have quoted him approvingly if that wasn't the claim you were also making. If you're making the much narrower point that, essentially, some English sides erroneously prize physicality over technique, well, that's hardly debatable but it's not particularly interesting either. SAF at the end of his reign was a dinosaur, and Mourinho uses a very particular style that (and this is key) hasn't been widely emulated. City have built around Silva (while also incorporating Nasri and Aguero), and Liverpool around a unique and singular talent like Suarez, while Rodgers and Martinez are generally seen as the most promising young managers in English football. Wenger's obviously stuck to his guns at Arsenal as well.

DS (and yourself) clearly disagree with Jose's approach. That's fine, but DS' post loses quite a bit of its force at this stage because it was predicated on the Jose era Chelsea being a sign of things to come, but even if that ever was the trajectory of football generally, it changed dramatically when Spain dominated Euro 2008 and Barca dominated Europe.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #1362 The Jitty Slitter, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    @schafer

I quoted DS's post because JamesA was wondering where the term "Drone" got started.

If you look at his posts you will see DS classified the Barca guys like Iniesta also as drones. They had very high meterage those guys but can also play football.

DS wanted to see more of the Spanish style technical drones in the prem and less muscle bound goons like Jones & Willian

So you are completely misrepresenting what his argument was.

However after 5 years of regression, I think you can now see that the pendulum in the prem has swung back towards attacking play.

Re Jose's tactics - I do query why he plays both a defensive 10, and a defensive right winger against weaker sides and then wonders why he hasn't scored enough goals.

He has certainly improved your defensive play and that has been worth points - but at the moment it looks like you need to score many more goals and it is hard to see how that Chelsea lineup will score enough without goals from Oscar & Willian.

13. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He isn't even worth half of the price.

Abramovich just bought him so Pool couldn't sign him I guess

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As a viewer i simply have no interest in watching it because its boring.

Professionally I think any brand that wants to develop as a content creator has to make exciting content - simply because there are other more attractive brands.

Of course Roman may not care about that so much as the Glazers do.

15. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    This is what he said:

I don't see how I'm misrepresenting his argument. He's explicitly saying that Essien is the type of midfielder that is going to become ubiquitous, and that this midfielder is technically poor but a monstrous athlete. That hasn't happened precisely because diminutive but technically brilliant players like Xavi subsequently reached the apex of the game.

If Iniesta is a drone, then I don't see why the term is used disparagingly, or that it's really precise enough to be used at all meaningfully. If drone = players who have stamina and can follow tactical instructions, but it can refer simultaneously to magicians like Iniesta or powerhouses like Essien, then I'd suggest it doesn't add much to the discussion. Who's not a drone, then? Cassano? Robinho? Has Robben achieved drone status since he's proven he can work under Guardiola?

J'can and Karloski repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well you can read thru his posts if you want.

As I said, I quoted a DS post for JamesA to show who was the architect of the drone meme.

I have no real interest in defending Dark Savante posts from 8 years ago :D

My argument was that Willian is a muscle drone in the Jones mould.

If you were anoraking back in the day, you would have known about the different types of drones :thumbsup:

17. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Is anyone 'shocked' that FIFA has retracted the transfer ban on Barcelona ?

18. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    He's a significantly better player than Park. The argument that he and Jones are "muscle drones" is laughable on its face, as is the concern about drones becoming more prevalent. English football is constantly derided as "kick and rush" that relies on speed and physicality. Yet drones are predominating now? It's a ludicrous argument. Again, anyone who's seen videos of Helenio Herrera's sides can't seriously complain this is a modern phenomenon.
    By this argument, only players like Ozil aren't drones, but that's because they don't play any defense or do any meaningful pressing. This is actually a corollary to the statistical arguments that have been developing in basketball, which show that all offense players are often a hindrance rather than being useful (see Ellis, Monta). So yes, sports that feature instant transitions between offense and defense are coming to value both sides more equally. If that's the "dronification" of football, it's only natural, and the most "modern" coaches are its biggest proponents.

While I think Xavi never reached the "apex of the game" (in large part because I see that Barca side as the obverse of Mourinho-style defensive systems - they're about control, not attacking), if Muller/Kroos are drones, than the only types of players that aren't are, almost by definition, players that perform no defensive duties, and especially individualists. Basically, #10s or wingers with no defensive responsibilities. These have been phased out of the game in the last decade, that's certainly true, though largely because more and more managers realize that only looking at one half of the game (offense) by necessity ignores the other half.

19. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    After reading all this, and sitting with @JamesA not knowing what drone is, I came up that a drone is a player with multiple good average assets, instead a non drone player is world class in one asset but poor in the others?

20. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    How did you come up to this "significantly" better than Park? He was a very good player in his PSV times, but got used as a so called "drone," just like Willian. Even at United, Park had played good when he got the chance to play more than twice per month, but injuries always disrupted that run. Willian was good at Shakhtar just like Park at PSV, but he's not used in the same manner and he's not going to hit his former numbers (8 goals per season) in the PL often.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  21. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So was Vermont Red male or female?

22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Park's stock fell significantly after he embarassed himself by marking Andrea Pirlo out of a couple of games. He never lived that down.

Futbol_Head and Umar repped this.
  23. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    the haven't? barça is appealing.

24. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What's everyone's prediction for today's match?

I'm thinking 2-1 Madrid. (maybe 3-1 even?)

MatthausSammer and jeff070 repped this.
  25. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Is Ronaldo fit?