Beasley injury and hitmen players

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Juan Caramelo, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Juan Caramelo

Juan Caramelo Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...usa-world-cup-hopeful-damarcus-beasley-puebla

Still very vague at the moment but I have a good feeling it's nothing serious. The last thing we need at this point is more shake-ups in our D.

This does bring up another question though. At this point should all WC bound teams be concerned about injuries to their players? Oguchi Onyewu's injury forced Bob Bradley to quickly reinvent the back line last World Cup and Zidane's absence in WC 2002 left France eliminated in the opening stages. Colombia have almost certainly lost their star player Falcao to a torn ACL and as if Spain weren't having enough goalkeeper drama, Valdes is no longer an option. Being so close to kick-off this couldn't be a more horrendous moment to be side-lined. I can't even bring myself to imagine something happening to Michael Bradley or Tim Howard.

2. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    You needed this to think up this question? You don't know the answer to this question?

What is the "hitmen" angle to your post or the article?

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Debbie Downer, please allow me to introduce you to Nervous Nellie.

FW__, Scotty and ebbro repped this.
  4. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Gooch's injury the previous October forced Bob Bradley "reinvent the back line"?
    First of all, Gooch started TWO games for us in the 2010 WC and when Gooch went out against Slovenia, he simply moved Bocanegra to CB and inserted Bornstein. Lol.

5. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as someones else mentioned, what the hell does any of that have to do with "hitmen players"?
    Bizarre.

6. BeloHorizante

BeloHorizante Member

May 27, 2005
    Yeah, there's a lot of weird things in this OP.

First, Onyewu's injury happened in October, nine months before the start of the World Cup. So it didn't cause Bob to "quickly rebuild his back line."

Second, his injury occurred with the national team, in qualifying, and more to the point, it happened when he tried to turn. There was no "hitman" aspect of his injury. He was most likely not in full match fitness, having only made one sub appearance for Milan, but that's a totally different issue.

Third, Onyewu started each of the first two matches, went the full 90 against England, and was taken off in the 80th minute against Slovenia in favor of an extra striker (Herc Gomez) because we were still trailing. It's true he didn't start the last group match or the round of 16 game, but that hardly constitutes "reinventing the back line." He was back, and healthy, though not as sharp as needed. At that point, he was dropped due to form, not injury (and yes, I understand that the injury 9 months prior impacted the form).

As for France in 2002, while they certainly missed Zidane, they still put a team on the field with Vieria, Petit, Wiltord, Djorkaeff, Henry and Trezeguet all on the field at the same time, and Makelele, Cisse, and Dugarry (and Zidane, who did start the last match) available off the bench. Their group was not a pushover, but was by no means overly daunting. Healthy Zidane or no, there's really no excuse for that team to not score a single goal in their three matches.

7. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This feels like an ambush, everyone keep your head on a swivel.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It wasn't that simple, at least on these boards. We were fearful of Bornstein coming in. He performed very well the remainder of the Cup, but there were doubts about inserting him.

9. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just saying, that was hardly reinventing the back-line.
    It was a simple switch of Boca to CB, who had played there all of qualifying.
    Gooch just looked horrible when he played against England and Slovenia.

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

FW__ and Juan Caramelo repped this.
  11. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injuries happen folks, there's no way around it so sitting up at night in cold-sweats doesn't do alot of good.

12. Juan Caramelo

Juan Caramelo Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Oguchi was clutch for us in qualifiers for that tournament. He was at his absolute peak and a staple in back. Even if that injury occurred 2 years earlier a player of his caliber would have been hard to replace. He was in no condition for the WC and that had it's effect. I think because of the MLS schedule players have a lower risk because they're not chasing titles and trophies at this point. And this is just fodder for chit-chat after hearing about DeMarcus. Had no idea US fans were so touchy.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Happens to every national team. The best national teams have the depth to overcome these challenges.

14. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to lie, when I opened this thread, I was expecting a conspiracy theory about Mexican players injuring Beasley on purpose to hamper our World Cup chances. I was kind of looking forward to the trolling/flaming that would surely follow. Now, I'm sad. OP, you're not in my good graces right now.

diablodelsol repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they want to help the USA? :sneaky:

16. Juan Caramelo

Juan Caramelo Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Beazley17 and yankthisyank'swank repped this.
  17. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's fess up, guys. There are many hitmen, but one is certainly Herr Timothy "Wie gefällt dir diese Äpfel, Omar Liebling? " Chandler....... :whistling:

18. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    #18 Goldtone, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Wish Beez well and no harm but blessing in disguise to me

19. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An Argentine player broke Beckham's foot in Champion League play prior to the 2002 WC. Seeing how England and Argentina were in the same WC group, this just might have been an According to Hoyle hit on Beckham. England got the last laugh, though, as they defeated Argentina in group play and went through while Argentina failed when they couldn't beat Sweden in the last match.

20. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    what does Gooch's non contact injury have to do with hitmen?

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Dude he's on the roster in your sig.

Scotty, Wessoman and Chance repped this.
  22. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio

I don't know if he is completely out yet. Is there an update?

23. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda like you getting sent to Gitmo

24. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    so bitter lol

25. Juan Caramelo

Juan Caramelo Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Wow. Didn't know that. Very impressive he was able to play in the tournament and very appropriate he was able to score the winner over Argentina.