BS members supporting (poor) kids in Brazil

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by jupal, Apr 18, 2014.

?

In which way would you prefer the money to be collected/donated?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2014.
  1. to 1 organisation directly (their acc)

44.8%
  2. to 2 organisations directly (their acc)

20.7%
  3. to more than 2 organisations directly (their acc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. for us to collect and buy stuff eg toys, jerseys & food (in contact with 1 organisation)

3.4%
  5. for us to collect and buy stuff eg toys, jerseys & food (in contact with 2 organisations)

17.2%
  6. for us to collect and buy stuff eg toys, jerseys & food (in contact with more than 2 organisations)

13.8%
  7. other (please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jennifer W

Jennifer W Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I'm all for making a contribution. My friend and I are trying to find an organization to volunteer with for a day in Rio (to help in a favela is our hope). So far no luck though. It seems the groups working there want long-term commitments (weeks or months).

2. AzaleaSF

AzaleaSF New Member

Oct 31, 2013
    My vote is to donate to one or two organizations. I'm ready to contribute when the paypal or donation site is ready. Thanks for setting it up.

3. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    i can definately be part of a volunteer day in Recife... i will be there the 19-24.

4. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    Hey that would be great I could only really do something 19th (any time) or 24th (pref afternoon) on those days though (20th I am leaving the city after the 1pm game until 22th 11pm) on 23rd morning I have school and in the afternoon there is the mexico match so that might be tight

5. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    19th sounds great, luckily my friend from Recife will be driving us around so i will volunteer them as well lol... i a really think donating football equipment is the way to go with this

6. Nikkimau

Nikkimau Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to donate, thanks for setting this up

7. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ok here goes this is where my opinion is firmly placed to do some good with ease
    For all members who wish to do so. If @jupal @Scoroyn78 agree with me we will set up a fund thru
    http://www.justgiving.com anyone can make an account there which you need in order to create a fundraiser there. People need to login to donate to a fundraiser it also shows how much money has been raised so far so I think that would be great. You can even donate by text from some countries.

If anybody has any major issues please do so now openly and we can have a further look.......Thoughts people?

semi_vest, tmac-tmac, CA_eagles and 2 others repped this.
  8. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    Good for me

9. macdonak

macdonak Member

May 15, 2006
    London
    Hi guys, I'm only just back online, after travelling in Africa last week. I'd arranged to be somewhere with an internet connection when everything kicked off again on the 15th but it turned out to be the slowest I've seen in at least a decade. Every F5 took around three minutes to perform, using the scanner was a complete non-starter and I didn't even manage to get past the queue to log on for nearly two hours, so a pretty frustrating and fruitless day, tbh! Still, I obviously can't consider myself hard done by, in the context of many of the people I met last week or those we're discussing in Brazil. I'm very happy with the direction things have taken on here re donations etc - I think structuring things to work with 1 or 2 reputable ognaisations that know how best to help local communities makes a lot of sense. Please count me in.

Stuckin1au repped this.
  10. scooterz

scooterz Member

Mar 12, 2014
    This sounds perfect - thanks for getting the ball rolling!

11. morecast

morecast Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    Sorry I didnt answer before.
    Great initiative!!!!
    Count me in.
    I totally agree with the fund proposed by @Stuckin1au

12. CA_eagles

CA_eagles Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Austin
    Club:
    Club América
    Im in and I like the idea of using justgiving. I also think that we might want to share the funds with at least 2 organizations in different cities to "spread the little help we are giving". I don't have a vote for any org in particular. I think a lot of people here know the best options where they will make the best used to our donation.

It is indeed sad to see that not everyone that said they will donate at the scanner thread have already committed here but unfortunately that's how a lot of people live.

13. FourThreeThree

FourThreeThree New Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Club:
    Club América
    I agree and support the Stuckin1au post to organize the contribution through justgiving.com. I finally could cast my vote. I personally think that contributions should go to more than one organisation, however it depends on the amount collected.

Logistically it would be easier to contribute directly to the organisations accounts, however, neither us and the kids would have the direct contact and the rewarding experience to provide them something tangible. I understand that logistically it could be complex to arrange the collection, purchase and delivery of the items at the organisations. On the other hand the funds raised directly into the organisations account could be better directed to the needs of the organisation in benefit of the kids.

I contribute and support to what the majority says in this poll. As I previously mentioned, I am also contributing my sister's help :))) for any logistics in Sao Paulo in case is needed.

14. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    god i am so sorry I had a big family emergency (my cousin had a pretty bad accident....) and I didn't feel like being online a lot I hope you can understand!

I just tried to set up a team page on justgiving which supports "actions for children in Brazil" on justgiving as of now everyone can join the team I created by making an account.

https://www.justgiving.com/teams/BSisDonating

I'm Mira in case you were wondering lol and yes I only donated $50 because my credit card is prepaid and I almost used all of it but I will donate more in the future.

Hope this is a good first step. And again I am sorry I have not really been around this week!

semi_vest and Stuckin1au repped this.
  15. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Thank you for organizing that @jupal .......we will need to post the link on a few of the other forums on here. So I will write a few words and forward them to you and @Scorpyn78 via PM once this is reviewed and accepted we will post link across forums

Hope Your Cousin is ok now

16. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    #41 jupal, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    Well the doc said he will get better so it will be ok :) I am extremly tired as I got up at 5am in case people want to add another organization that is on justgiving let me know which one! If you want donations to go to an organisation off justgiving let me know also I find it extremly hard to make the decisions as there are so many organisations but I think one for now should be ok.

Also i personaly will be visiting a children village (mayve with @clubamericalara idk yet) to donate food/footballs maybe other things too but that has nothing to do with the above link

clubamericalara and Stuckin1au repped this.
  17. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    i have a total of 3 people going, i am going to try to to convince @shermanator12290 and his crew to see if they want to go too! the more the better...... friday (june 20) right or was it saturday (june 21)?

Stuckin1au repped this.
  18. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    19th if possible :( or the day after the mexicomatch it sucks because i am out of town on the 20th post ita-crc until pretty late on the 22nd :/

19. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    19th is fine, hopefully we can work around the matches for that day, i want to be at fan fest as much as possible :D

jupal repped this.
  20. shermanator12290

Nov 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone please inform me about what we are talking about here?

21. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    this is the (big soccer) members supporting poor kids page (we will be donating football gear)... since you were going to be in recife during the time jupal and I will be volunteering i was going to begin recruiting more members to help out (if they wanted to). pm me if you want further details.

22. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    I'm in! Just made a donation.
    Come on guys - lets support a great cause!

Stuckin1au repped this.
  23. scooterz

scooterz Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Awesome - thanks for setting us up Jupal, and for getting the donations rolling whiskerxx! I've made a contribution too, and I'll try to top it up in the days to come.

24. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    No apologies for bumping the thread.......

25. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ok at @jupal I've donated to the link provided if you find another cause then ill add the second donation there. If we don't end up doing that Ill double the donation to the link just before I leave to Brazil.......once again thanks for all your help in this cause

scooterz repped this.