German NT - World Cup 2014 - Pre tournament and squad selection

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by BorisG, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thats was a quarter final game against Greece, Loew played the best possible team for that game and he did well by starting Schurrle, Reus and klose over Poldi, Gomez and possibly Muller who was not that great in the previous games against Holland and Denmark. Especially Reus and Klose showed great form in the game against Greece and they both scored and god knows why Loew did not start them again.. He just thought he is a tactical genius which he clearly is not!.
    Kiessling has been the most consistent german striker in the last two years and dont see why he does not fit the german NT. He would have been great to have on the bench in my opinion - not a starter but off the bench.

2. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He started Klose ahead of Gomez in the match to give him a rest but only broke his rhythm. And Kießling is the most consistent striker to not score in the CL, I agree.

3. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kiessling is an above average striker, let's not bullshit around here. But yea, I also don't think he's necessarily NT material.

4. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's exactly average with a good supporting team to a certain extent which allows him some above average numbers. If he's asked to carry them or to get them to a higher level that is needed in Europe, he's the wrong man. He's very consistent in his averageness though

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do we really need a striker to "carry" us though? To be honest, I think Kießling detractors have a very weak argument that relies on basically expanding the role of European success in player evaluation to a very unreasonable level. He has a good skillset that shone in the BL, but for one reason or another, never did in the CL. By your argument, we shouldn't call up Ibrahimovic or Suarez if they were German because they never did anything in Europe.

Kirsten19 repped this.
  6. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The cruel fact is that I think ALL German strikers will be extinct in CL in the near future

Bayern n Dortmund will start with foreign strikers like Lewandowski/Mandzukic/Ramos; n none of our strikers starts for other CL team

Kiessling is already in a better situation than Gomez/Klose/Lasogga for example. The younger generation of strikers may even be playing in 2BL in the next 1-2 years

7. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I don't necessarily think Schuerrle, Podolski, Gomez, Kruse, Klose(at 36), Lars Bender, Schmelzer, Durm, Grosskreutz, Howedes, Adler, Zieler are better players than Kiessling too, but they all fit a need at a certain position

Schmelzer n Grosskreutz at fullbacks is for example more concerning than Kiessling starting up top.

I think it is all about the attributes a player brings n team's need

It's obvious that we have everything in attack. Just lack physicality, aerial ability(Mandzukic's headers assist?) n some reliable/clincial finishing n killer instinct in front of goal.

Again, I don't think Kiessling is a perfect fit but he brings some lacked attributes of this team. Grosskreutz is a sub-par footballer n he barely plays at fullback lately, but he is brough to the NT because he fits our need at Fullback(a position where we are extremely short-handed)

Kiessling is a better player than Durm, Schmelzer, Grosskreutz and co. n fits a certain need obviously. But he was silly enough to criticize Loew in public in a rather high profile way. Not a wise thing to do for a borderline Nt nominee.

I've made some observation of Mueller playing as a false 9 for Bayern Munich VS Man Utd in first leg. I don't think he is the ideal candidate there. N looks like the system was a lot more allrounded with some aerial threats (Mandzukic n that header assist) coming in. Barcelona's Tikki Takka has exposed some weaknesses as well after so many years.

I don't think False 9 is the way for future. As Birrhoff said, it is always preferred to have a "dangerman" inside the penalty box. He may not be world class CF like Mandzukic/Lewandowski. But the "dangerman" has to bring in some lacked attributes, just like we brought in Grosskreutz n Mustafi to fill the fullback holes.

For the WC, I want Kiessling, Lasogga n Gomez/Volland(if Gomez or Lasogga can't gain form in time)

After the WC, I hope Lasogga, Volland, Werner(a Michael Owen type pure poacher) n Ducksch(need a move away from Dortmund) will be the future CF options.

8. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, who is better and can play for Germany at the world cup? Gomez has been injured all season. Klose is not as good as Kießling anymore (just check his scorer stats). He is also constantly injured and will be 36 at a tournament in tropical heat. Kruse only scores from the penalty spot. Lasogga is injured. Maybe Volland but he hasn't been invited either. You complain about Kießling's CL stats. Kruse, Lasogga and Volland haven't even played CL or EL yet.

Kießling plays for Leverkusen where no one looks good in the CL. Löw invites his team mates Bender and Sam anyway. If Kießling were on a better team he would have more international goals. Mandzukic who you probably believe to be a good striker hasn't done much in the CL either. Only 3 goals in 10 games last season and that with the most dominant team that won the competition. This season is not much better with only 3 goals in 8 games. But he is a useful player for Bayern anyway as he occupies defenders to open space for the dangeous wingers and midfielders, wins the ball in the air for knock downs and does a lot of defensive work. Plus the occasional goal. Kießling could do the same for Germany. There is no reason for Löw not to at least try it.

And why should Kießling be considered just average when he managed to score more BL goals last season than Lewandowski? Other recent top scorers have been Gomez and Huntelaar. You wouldn't call them average either. Löw calls up an inferior player like Hahn who has only played well for a few months and plays a position where Germany has more than enough top players already. Kießling plays a position of need where Germany is out of alteratives. Why is he not invited for a friendly to test his supposed incompatibility with the national team? Löw was willing to test Kruse and Lasogga who don't have anywhere near the track record that Kießling has. It's obvious that Kießling is ignored for other reasons than his quality as a striker.

9. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schurrle only on bench tonight .. Pity would have liked to see him play and score

10. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schurrle being subbed in 72 min hope he can show a good 20 min

11. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schurrle has been in great form for Chelsea lately. I think Mourinho got his team selection totally wrong last night. He didn't need to play 5 defensive midfielders in that match. I would have started with the same middle 3 but drop Ramires for Schurrle so that he could use the pace of Willian, Schurrle and Torres to counter attack. Instead he plays a defender in RW and Torres is left alone up top.

12. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Am sure at home he will play them a bit more attacking.. Last thing i want is another defensive chelsea in the final.

13. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #38 BorisG, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    euer - Lahm, J. Boateng, Dante, Alaba - Javi Martinez - T. Kroos, Schweinsteiger - Robben, T. Müller, Ribery
    What Kind of formation is that .
    4-1-2-3 Predicted line up tonight - I have never seen any coach change the overall tactical line up so many times as PEP from 4231 to 4141 to 433 to 4123?
    So for NT that would make sense as well ....like we said the other day playing Hummels up there
    --------------------------Neuer---------------------------
    Lahm-----------Merte----------Boa----------------GK
    -----------------------Hummels--------------------------
    ----------------Kroos----------------Schweinsteiger----
    Muller-------------Oezil or Gotze-----------------Reus
    I like this!!!! Goetze could be uses as sub basically for Kroos, Schweinie, Reus, Muller and oezil
    Lets see how Bayern fair with this tonight what do you guys think?

nekkibasara repped this.
  14. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's see if a Lahm-Schweini-Kroos midfield works.

15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Worked against City, didn't against United. Kroos and Schweinsteiger are too similar IMO.

16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think midfield would look well if Kroos and Piggy were in shape. On the other hand Rafinha+Boateng and the goal showed it doesnt help if you run out of fullbacks when you face decent opposition. So I say veto.

And can please someone else than Fipsi be the captain this summer? Very good at sugarcoating any piece of bullshit.

17. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Boateng is in poor form

18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    SZ speculates that Löw cannot afford having two injured and out of shape strikers in the WC roster that's why we are going to see either Klose or Gomez staying at home. Tendency: Gomez. Only 1 game in 7 months.

Khedira will make it for sure.

Poldi is a controversial topic among the coaching stuff but probably is going to make it due to his loyalty.

Some tough decisions about defense since Lahm is going to play DM alongside Schweini or Khedira: Höwedes, Jansen, Durm?

19. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Lahm might play RB and not DM. Well lets see ... Sven Bender is also back in training see who of the Benders will make it to the WC. I am sure Loew will pick part of his 30 man squad on Thursday Klose, Gomez, Lassoga, Kruse, Khedira and both Benders and see how they develop until the 2nd of June before he needs to cut a few of them of the team. Same might count for SAM, Howedes, Jansen, Durm and Schmelzer

Here with a list of candidates to make the 30 man squad
    Neuer, Weidenfeller, Zieler (3)
    Lahm, Merte, Boateng, Hummels, Grosskreutz, Schmelzer, Howedes, Jansen and Durm(9) cut 2
    Schweinie, Kroos, Khedira, Bender, Bender(5) cut 1
    Oezil, Reus, Muller, Goetze, Poldi, Draxler, Schurrle, SAM (8) cut 1
    Klose, Gomez, Lassoga, Volland and Kruse (5) cut 3

Loew would be wise to take all strikers with to see which two out of the five mentioned should get the spots on the 2nd of June. He will have about 2 weeks to evaluate all five of them and see who would best be in form for the WC.

20. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lahm doesn't play DM, he plays holding midfield :p

Anyway, agree on Klose going over Gomez and unfortunately Podolski as well.

Hope Grosskreutz comes at least and I can't believe Jansen will go to his third World Cup. Madness.

21. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :thumbsup:

22. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bild Reports that apparently Klose, Gomez and Khedira will be selected for the 30 man squad on probation! They said nothing about Lassoga, Howedes and Bender.

23. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    On another note Bild has an inform Barometer .. Its all in german so here a quick overview of what they wrote. If anyone of you would like to know specifics given of a certain player let me know or go to bild.de

Neuer 92%
    Weidenfeller 95%
    Ter Stegen 90%
    Zieler 75%
    Adler 70%
    Jansen 50%
    Schmelzer 70%
    Durm 90%
    Mertersacker 80%
    Hummels 95%
    Ginter 90%
    Boateng 50%
    Westermann 100%
    Lahm 85%
    Grosskreutz 90%
    Lars Bender 100%
    Schweinsteiger 55% - in this form they say Loew cant use him - Intresting
    Sven Bender 50%
    Kroos 75% - a little off on his precision passing
    Goetze - 80%
    Khedira 20%
    Reus 100%
    Oezil 75%
    Kruse 90%
    Muller 75%
    Sam 5%
    Draxler 80%
    Podolski 70%
    Hahn 80%
    Gomez 20%
    Klose 30%
    Schurrle 80%
    Lassoga 50%
    Volland 90%

24. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    please post a link

25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I dont care about the nomination as long as Kevin "Döner" Großkreutz makes it to Brazil.

SirManchester repped this.