Would Argentina have won the 1986 World Cup if Pele in place of Maradona?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Jaweirdo, Aug 27, 2013.

?

Does Argentina win the 86' world cup win with a prime Pele in place of Maradona?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2014.
  1. yes

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. no

21 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You need to let this go, dude, it's completely souring your experience of football.

In any event, the short film was also screened at the Tribeca Film Festival this week and it's great the greatest individual performance in footballing history is getting its due recognition now in the North American media. An artistic masterpiece deserves another.

2. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You need to realize the FACT:

in term of "SELF_PROCLAIMED as the best player EVER:

1- Maradona (from 87 until now he still got the delusion of being #1 LOL)
    2- Romario (from 95 to 2010 - at least in 2012 he put himself below Pele and Maradona LOL)

4. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is there any performance by pele as impressive as maradonas vs Belgium (or England)? if there is I haven't seen it, but if anyone has a suggestion I would like to see

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's no delusion when millions of people agree:

upload_2014-4-28_16-17-32.jpeg

6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #1206 JamesBH11, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    so you are among those BOYS voting who knew nothing of football? LOL

OFFICIAL by respectable sources:

1- FIFA technical committee : Pele
    The King of football PELÉ

2- Worldscoccer magazine (England): Pele
    3- IFFHS (Germany): Pele
    4- Franc Football (UEFA and France): Pele
    5- Placar (Brazil) Pele
    6- Guerin' Sportivo's (Italy) Pele
    7- Times (magazines) Pele
    8- BBC : Pele
    9- AFS (British) Pele
    10- Sports Illustrated (USA) Pele
    ... and many more websites out there ...

7. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    fap fap fap

Pipiolo and Sandinista repped this.
  8. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wow, that's really well made! A real quality video.

9. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Everytime I watch a Maradona 86 segment like the 30 for 30 one it always brings tears to my eyes, i don't think anyone ever wanted anything more than Maradona wanted to win a world cup and to watch him give literally everything he had to get it...ufff

Pipiolo repped this.
  10. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The Hand of God commentary at 12:35 is the most interesting, where the central director corrects his own commentator.

11. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Yeah... They say "it was with the head, no doubt" as if nobody else could see replays and slow motion images.
    It is also interesting when the commentator (Victor Hugo Morales) says something like "Forgive me, but against England, today, even if it was with the head... what do you want me to say? :p

Pipiolo repped this.
  12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  13. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Football is a game for the people and the people have spoken.

www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnhLEfSNVDJE&ei=HN9fU4LZKfSvsQSp64FA&usg=AFQjCNFOmtSv0majzri9DKnO-9K6DOq17w&bvm=bv.65397613,d.cWc

14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes but you do not ask the boys who played PES/FIFA games for who is best player
    You should ask the PROS who watched players (real pitch) and had knowledge of the games

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The people that voted are regular fans like you and me, if their votes don't count then neither does your opinions. So if your opinions should count, likewise with everyone else's.

16. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    that was an interesting read. How much cocaine did Diego do?!?! Bowls of cocaine offered at his wedding? Thats some scarface stuff, this whole time i thought he just took a couple key bumps when partying..

17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    He also rode in the Rolls Royce of Joseph Goebbels at this wedding.

Yes, as far as I can oversee, what he put into his body cannot be healthy. That includes loads of cortisones, ephedrine and anabolic steroids as well, and the long terms effects can be quite detrimental (as far as I have understood over time).

18. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A lot of cocaine. Makes you wonder what could have been: a WC86 performance in WC90, and how far he would have taken Napoli in European competition. Still the greatest though.

19. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    WRONG, I never knew that vote until it was revealed. I am sure none of us here was there with the votes

20. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    and he has been sober for 10 years now?

21. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yes cocaine is a debilitating drug indeed
    does he ever mention cocaine use or any specifics on how much he did in his autobiography?

22. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It was also interesting that Menotti in 1981 said he was the most important international player, that he had all the qualities as a scorer and playmaker, and that he was the best since pele. Because I remember you questioned his level that year and referred to Menotti complaining about his style

23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    That's right ...

During an interview lately (2011) with " El Flaco" *the skinny Menotti, he mentioned briefly about Pele, Maradona and Messi .. (on top of the main topic of Pep vs Barca team and players)

"El fútbol se lo robaron a la gente"
    Nacido en Rosario en 1938, El Flaco es uno de los grandes oráculos del fútbol. Ahora habla sobre la Copa América, sobre el juego de su selección y sobre el estilo del Barça de Guardiola y del Madrid de Mourinho

LUIS MARTÍN Buenos Aires 11 JUL 2011 - 02:34 CET

[​IMG]
    Menotti charla con Diego Armando Maradona cuando era el técnico de la selección argentina

==============================================

Q: "If Del Bosque wanted to be like a Busquets, what about you, same or higher?"

Menotti A: "The time I saw him , I called a friend and said : "I've seen a player of a vanished species." It is a crack . The best that I saw in my life was Pele , I guess would be Pele. He was able to surprise you when going for a header : it went up a little and stood with his chest. You never knew what to do .

Q. How 'bout Messi ...?

A. I think there were four kings and the fifth has not appeared. Di Stefano, Pele, Cruyff and Maradona. We are now awaiting the fifth , it will be Messi or , for now, is not nobody . Is that is closer , but we 're not going to give the crown to five years. To give Messi the crown should see him outside of Barcelona, get what Maradona at Napoli . This was a band and became an orchestra. Messi is a luxury, a wonderful thing, but would be seen . It has nothing to prove to be the best in the world . But missing a step to be the best . No doubt you can have the crown of the fifth king , but not yet. But you know what's best ?

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't really know but hope so. For sure, he's definitely been sober since the time he became manager of the Argentine NT (circa 2008).

Nothing specific, I do remember him blaming it on external factors, particularly the pressure to deliver on the field and off the field (socializing) in Napoli.

25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Napoli was in a poor region, full of gangs and MAFIA ... - became Maradona best friends .. few years later in 89-96

That was how he got banned for not only consume but also part of the ... traffickings ....