Who Is The Greatest Dribbler Ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dearman, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Greatest Dribbler Ever

1. Garrincha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maradona

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. George Best

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ronaldo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Messi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Impossible to know

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Romario's best season 94:
    He won the fifa player of the year award.

ucl final = 0 goals...dominated by maldini.
    wc final = 0 goals...dominated by maldini.

2. gilmour86

gilmour86 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    1- The fact that Carlos Alberto made the XI selected by Fifa only prove that you should listen the brazilians about their players. Carlos Alberto is more popular around the world and always get more votes than Djalma in these polls and elections, but legend Djalma was a better player, no doubt about that. The same logic applies to Ronaldo-Romario discussion.

2- There is a myth around the world that many brazilians think that Garrincha was better than Pele, but very few brazilians have such opinion. Garrincha is our second best player indeed.

Pipiolo repped this.
  3. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    1. D. Santos said it himself: "c. Alberto is the best rb i've ever seen".
    2. Greatest winger of all-time and I''ll leave it at that :D!

4. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bloody hell.. I ve missed a few days and still the R9 debate rages on !! Nice to see greatstriker and james are seeing eye to eye at last !! Lol

5. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes we should discuss the lesser spoken of players in history who were not far behind the greats

greatstriker11 repped this.
  6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Romario has greater technique than Ronaldo. that much is indisputable. Romario's technique has actually been compared as just below Maradona's whereas Ronaldo's technique cannot even shine the boots of Maradona's.

Thuram was faster (not stronger) than Baresi, but Baresi had impeccable positioning. Well, Thuram stopped Ronaldo in two WC matches eight years apart, proof that he had his number.

Again, you are incorrect or I suspect just making stuff up. Ronaldinho played in most WC02 qualifier matches, including the very first one against Colombia. He became a starter about a third of the way in, and terrorized the Argentine defense in the 3-1 win in Brazil. Ronaldinho was the mediapunta and Romario the striker, with Rivaldo as playmaker, in the home stretch run of the qualifiers. Ronaldo replaced Romario, Scolari himself has said this. Rai was never part of the discussion after 2000, the alternate playmaker that Scolari looked at was the equally young Alex.

Rivaldo led Brazil to CA99 as the tournament's best player, and he was the team's leader in attack at WC02. This comes from Scolari, you know, the WC-winning manager of the team. :rolleyes:

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #3332 JamesBH11, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    again that comment coming from a guy who rated the one time WONDER Rossi 82 as among the greatest WC?
    YES based on Rossi's standard (one time wonder and poaching) Romario was greater there LOL

Let me tell you NO ONE called Romario a "heir" to be there with Pele Maradona? why? he had NO SUCH techniques to be one PERIOD

Ronaldo and Messi are both latest one since Maradona to have any chance to catch up with Pele, from 90 to now ... PERIOD

[​IMG]

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ronaldo is not their heir either :rolleyes:

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Your stubbornness came over your head and mind!
    NOt only a "heir" nut in 97-98, many BELIEVE R9 could take over Pele, Maradona spot

(no one expected anything from Romario beside his scoring goals for the team)
    remember this? (of course not , you might be too young to know? LOL)

[​IMG]

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Many also believed the Earth was flat at one time.

leadleader and giles varley repped this.
  11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    but NO ONE believed in Romario's techniques like you and greatest striker's IMAGINE

STOP here ... until you can come up with good support beside your tongue

12. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The support is not my tongue, it's my eyes.

13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes and remember this? you and greateststriker

With Sunglasses ON: "Romario is better techniques then Ronaldo"
    Take off the sunglasses: "Wow IL FENOMENO"

LOL

[​IMG]

TAKE off the sunglasses, and your post might be more tasteful and reasonable

leadleader repped this.
  14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If I have sunglasses, you have a blindfold. Someone can still see with sunglasses a tinted view, but with a blindfold there is nothing to see :whistling:

leadleader repped this.
  15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    bla bla ... no more 'tongue' games ... I said ...

16. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    James.. Romario was being compared to maradona when he first came on to the scene.. I can remember people talking about him that way in the 1988 olympics... He was short stocky and also he ran at defences similar to maradona.. Many comparisons were being made between romario and diego

Pipiolo and greatstriker11 repped this.
  17. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Baresi stronger than thuram? That's the most asenine claim I've heard in a long time! Oh wait I stand corrected "romario had greater technique" !

R9 was clearly more flash and had better ball control.
    both times r9 was injured/not 100%.

Look r9 was either taken down or marked by 3 defenders!

dinho played like 6 games in total, didn't produce much. So brazil had romario, rivaldo, and even dinho but still they barely qualified...

i never said rai was a part of the discussion...
    he was one of the main stars brazil had in 94
    a guy who had won back to back copa libertadores and won
    the french league title in 94. Rai was brazil's 10 and one of their stars. Rai in 94 was a bigger star than dinho 02 was.

99 copa?
    R9 was bitten by the Injury bug all season long.
    He went into the finals leading his team in scoring. Rivaldo scored the first two goals and r9 the third...
    both ended up top scorers. Rivaldo was at his best in 99...
    r9 played with a diaper in the final. Did you even know that?
    He had health issues...
    02? Rivaldo was a good sidekick nothing less-nothing more!

18. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A good sidekick ?? Get real .. Rivaldo was class and the best brazilian player at the 2002 world cup..

Pipiolo and greatstriker11 repped this.
  19. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #3344 greatstriker11, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    The thing is these two's Jamesbh11 and Dagoods don't care what we have to say here. It's not a debate about two players anymore. It's never been. It's become a fight for ego's and they will not consider anything and won't admit that they are exaggerating and even fabricating their own version of football history.

I have committed once more a mistake to get caught in a quagmire with James's rhetoric. And I regret it.

He is a true and certifiable fanboy who uses stats and posters to appear knowledgeable but in the end he is just another fanboy waving a banner with R9 on it.

He will tell anyone who criticise Ronaldo as "hater" but in the end he knows he's the real fanboy in town.

He will demand of debaters to back themselves up with evidence and proof but he himself offers none!

He will present his post with coloured caps lock capital letters in the hope his voice will be heard. In the hope to hide his self confidence problem and that's why he needs to be loud and bold.

He will troll and troll to annoy his opponent in the hope to kick him off. And when his opponent finally loses patience and respond in the same fashion and return him his own gesture, he will put you on spot and call you rude

I have been observing James for over a year now. And I tell you. Any debate with him end's up in a long winding road full of potholes and no end in sight. It's a lose lose situation. There's no business here.

I thought that bigsoccer.com was meant to be a place where football enthusiast can go and exchange knowledge and learn and share what they love most. But it turned that some here like James and Dagoods, are here for a different reason. That is ....To make a statement!

They don't care about what you and I have to say for as long as it's not critics towards Ronaldo R9 or Pele.

You can talk badly or criticise any player even Maradona, but you do not get to pass judgement on his idols for he will take a stand and fight you off using tricks, rhetoric, noise, and flawed stats to deceive you into believing that you are among minority and irrelevant.

Sorry for my comments here. But I felt compelled to write up my thought and experiences in the hope to safe a future member the inconveniences I have to learn through trial and error. Some old members have warned me of James beforehand and gave me the heads up. But I ignored them cause I couldn't resist to confront James's lies and distorted views on football.

But if you are still in doubt, let me bring you up on things.

James holds the view that "dribbling" cannot be great without the inclusion of "multi-steps over". Do you agree?
    James holds the view that "headers" is not an important skillset. Do you agree?
    James holds the view that credit for an "assists" should not be given to a re-bound off the pole. Do you agree?

In respond to the above skewed views on skills and technicalities of the game. I have this to say.

If dribbling without "multi-steps over" is not great, then how come did Maradona goal vs England 86 become "the goal of the century"??? It had no multi-steps nor single nor half steps over. Just plain old fashion dribbling!

If "headers" is not important skillset, then why is it that the majority of the world and professional players will go nuts and celebrate a header goal with much euphoria? Pele even quoted saying that "headers" is required for a striker to be regarded as complete.

If Assists should not be granted to a goal scored after a re-bound off the pole, then you should read FIFA regulations:
    In the FIFA Technical Study Group's report on the 1986 World Cup, the authors calculated for the first time unofficial statistics for assists, developing the following criteria:[3]

1. An assist was awarded to the player who had given the last pass to the goalscorer.
    2. In addition, also the last but two holder of the ball could get an assist provided that his action had decisive importance for the goal .
    3. After goals from rebounds those players were awarded an assist who had shot on target.
    4. After goals scored on penalty or by a directly converted free-kick the fouled player received a point.
    5. In case that the goalscorer had laid on the goal for himself (dribble, solo run), no assists were awarded.
    6. No assists were awarded, either, if the goalscorer took advantage of a missed pass by an opponent.
    The 1990 World Cup technical report adopted similar criteria, but changed the free-kick/penalty criterion:[4]
    • Where goals resulting from penalties are concerned, the player who is fouled in the area receives an assist point (unless, that is, the player who is fouled subsequently executes the penalty himself).
    So I hope that any honest debater who wants to take James on a debate would consider what he's up against here. I hope my comments above are taken positively and make the reader including James and the like reflect their stand and views and change for the better. I hope my comments will safe you some time in the future.

Thanks.

@Pipiolo @leadleader @Guigs @PuckVanHeel @giles varley @Jaweirdo @Bruford and others..

leadleader and giles varley repped this.
  20. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All i want is proper discussion ! .. Everyone has different views.. I highly rate R9, romario, messi, maradona, pele etc nobody can ever say any of those players are overrated or crap.. Its pure personal choice . But some people look back with rose tinted spectacles.. R9 had poor games as did the others.. I am interested in observing how it actually was i am not interested in all the myth.. U have no doubt in my mind that rivaldo was the best for brazil in 02 the same as i think socrates and falcao had a better world cup than zico in 1982.. I watched the games .. No doubt zico and R9 were the stars of their teams but that doesnt always mean they performed the best

21. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You and @leadleader and @Guigs and @Celiot and @Edhardy are always welcomed with your contributions. You guys are here to delight people with your comments which bare no prejudices. Always shedding light on topics and make me think out of the box. I am learning more from you guys day by day. Keep posting mate!

22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thuram was fast and strong but Baresi was the greater defender, or are you also arguing that?
    And it's good that you finally agree that Romario had greater technique. @JamesBH are you listening?

Ronaldo9 had more flash, not better ball control however.
    Very few players are ever 100% at the WC, so you can stop with the excuses. Zidane outclassed Ronaldo both times they met in the WC.

@Dagoods

leadleader repped this.
  23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    @JamesBH11 please can you answer just one question: Who has the greater club career, Ronaldo9 or Messi?

24. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good question you ask him there.

And while he's at it, answer another question. Who had the greater Club career, Romario or Ronaldo9?

@JamesBH11

25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #3350 JamesBH11, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Messi club >= R9 club >= R11 club

But Messi had advantage that he was raised and grown up with the greatest ever Barca team squad in their history ... since last 90s of Cruijff's dream team - ironically that was Romario's team
    Barca 08-14 > Barca 91-94 >>> Barca 96-97

Romario had a much longer club career then both Messi and R9, but his club at HIGH level was short with only 1.5 years in Spain - the rest is with lower league like Holland and Brazil).
    I always said it was Roamrio's attitude and his short top league career that diminished his 'true talent" to the rest of the world - besides his 1 season Barca and 1 WC + 2 copa +1confed. (he was well proven great inside Brazil 100%)

Messi club (4 ballon dor +1WPOY)/8 top years > Ronaldo 3WPOY+2ballon dors/6 topyears > Romario 1 WPOY of 1 top year = too short~!