Akron Zips 2014

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by fknbuflobo, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  2. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we foresee the Zips program becoming the ... you guessed it... "Chappel show"...?

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Only if he recruits one of Clayton Bigsby's sons.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  4. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #55 fknbuflobo, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Trip to Richmond for Zips/VCU spring clash was great fun. I love road trips for spring soccer.

Venerable City Stadium remains a suitable soccer venue. College Cup should return there.

First time to Richmond, we blindly and fortuitously stumbled upon Can Can Brasserie, in the heart of historic Carytown, for Saturday brunch. Succulent! There we also made acquaintance with Devil’s Backbone Brewery (Vienna lager).

http://www.cancanbrasserie.com/

Weather was a gorgeous 70* and clear. Rams went up a goal in the 2nd minute, before I could even start working on my sunburn.

Zips fielded a 4-2-3-1 formation for the entirety of the contest. Not only is this formation en vogue throughout the world, but it caters to the talent of our current roster. Too many times last year our defensive midfield was stretched out of position.

Zips equalized midway through the first half on a good build up to a garbage finish that trickled over the line. We will take it.

Easily the goal of the match was #13 Sean Sepe’s text book receipt and turn in the box. Next touch BAM inside the post.
    Kid is quick, really quick. And he has the mentality of a finisher. He is never looking to pass, not ever. Very aggressive!

I noticed Sepe last season when Zips played St. John’s. How Dr. Masur ever let this kid get away, I will never understand.

VCU 1-2 Akron

Dave Giffard’s VCU Rams are organized, aggressive, and very athletic.
    2014’s squad may surpass last season’s underdog darlings.

bhoys repped this.
  6. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We filed in to a breezy 70* with bright sun. God, I love spring soccer.

4-2-3-1

Team defense must be much stronger if the Zips are going to succeed in 2014. There admittedly were key personnel playing out of position, but the overall team defense was poorly organized and generally shabby. Far too often opposing forwards turned the ball in relative comfort.

Flyers made it difficult for Zips to maintain possession through the midfield. Their physical tackling took the Zips out of rhythm throughout the match. This is an imposing bunch. Very large! Looked like Chelsea taking the pitch.

http://daytonflyers.com/roster.aspx?path=msoc

Zips did not react well to the chippy and choppy nature of the match. In particular, Victor Souto #8 lost composure, leaving Embick no recourse but to remove him from the contest to prevent a second yellow (or worse). Adam Najem #6 also did not cover himself in glory, reacting poorly to both the physical play and to the substandard officiating.

In the final third, Zips lacked connection on the assisting pass, which was frequently intercepted by Dayton defenders. Sean Sepe #13 was frustrated all evening by poor service. Even so, he scored late to make it interesting and rang potential equalizer low and off the post in the waning moments.

Zips acquitting themselves well were the aforementioned Sean Sepe #13, Richmond (Silk) Laryea #10, and the unrelenting stalwart Andrew Souders #2. The rest were either mediocre or dismal. Zips clearly have much work ahead.

Dayton had plenty to do with the Akron’s bad night. A surprisingly technical side, Flyers strung together several impressive sequences, building to shots. Their second goal was thing of beauty, with four consecutive one touch passes involving four different players, and the score off the post. In a starting lineup averaging over 6’0” in height, the primary playmaker was 5”7” Amass Amankona #16. Dayton looks ready to rumble.

8. Hank T

Hank T Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Albuquerque
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [/quote]
    That's right, Hank T! I will be looking you up 8/29 in ABQ! Should be a great early season tilt!

Lobos lost several players from 2013 CC squad. How has recruiting gone? Spring?

10. Hank T

Hank T Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Albuquerque
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.gozips.com/sports/msoc/2014-15/schedule
    [/quote]
    That's right, Hank T! I will be looking you up 8/29 in ABQ! Should be a great early season tilt!

Lobos lost several players from 2013 CC squad. How has recruiting gone? Spring?

You'll be making the trip from Akron to the "Land of Enchantment? Please do look me up. I'll post a recruiting update for the Lobos on the "Official recruiting" thread.

11. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #63 fknbuflobo, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Campus was buzzing Easter weekend, not only with the spring Soccer, but with Baseball and spring Football intra-squad scrimmage. There was a healthy comingling of crowds checking out the other sports. The throng was consequently large for an exhibition match, and was bolstered by a significant Cardinals contingent who traveled north. Weather was a bright and brisk 60* at 11:00 kick-off.

4-4-2

Starters #3 Saad Abdul-Salaam, #10 Richmond Laryea, and #7 Nathan Quirk did not play for whatever reasons, presumably injuries.

Louisville thoroughly dominated the match from stem to stern, in all aspects. But Zips were still fortunate enough to create a handful of chances, ones they failed, often miserably, to convert.

Goalkeeper #24 Jake Fenlason virtually stood on his head, to borrow a Hockey term. Without his Herculean effort, match could have been a real embarrassment. He executed several diving reaction saves to nullify what appeared to be certain scores. Even so, at least one of his goal kicks was laughably bad, if harmlessly over touch.

Defense was once again porous at best and absolutely deplorable at worst. Not one defender played well, allowing Cardinals to possess the ball in our third for long stretches. Even #2 Andrew Souders, usually tenaciously dependable, had a bad game. Though I loathe doing so, I must call out one youngster in particular. #15 Louis Cross had better shape up or he will be sitting come fall. This whole spring, he has failed to anticipate the attackers’ play, has been caught flat-footed on the through pass, and has given the ball away easily. These things cannot consistently come from a center back. Cross showed considerable promise last season. He had best realize that potential, or he will be watching.

The 4-4-2 apparently left #8 Victor Souto as the sole holding midfielder, a task for which he evidently lacks sufficient range. Coming close last week to ejection, an obviously frustrated Souto earned a second yellow mid-way through the second half. Victor has been burning hot, and he must control himself much better than he has recently. Without Laryea there to support the midfield, Louisville had but to shut down #6 Adam Najem, and the Zips attack stalled. Cardinals smartly baited Souto and double-teamed Najem. Mission accomplished!

#17 Riley Grant was paired with #13 Sean Sepe up top. Sepe continues to impress even when he does not benefit from quality service. He makes things happen. The athletically gifted Grant has not yet recognized that he is physically superior to most defenders in terms of size and speed. His first touch is often surprisingly heavy, and his short passing lacks crispness and accuracy. He also lacks a confidence on the ball one would assume a player of his pedigree to possess. Zips faithful are still waiting for Riley Grant to put it all together.

In summary, only Zips who could walk away with their heads held high were Fenlason and Sepe. The rest should review the game video just once, and quickly move on. Louisville looked like a contender for the title.

It was heart-warming to see how many Zips faithful waited after the match to shake the hand of Cardinals’ Coach Ken Lolla, or to shout appreciation from afar. We do not forget.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is where I am obligated to give you guys much shit about this...

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/4/22/5640490/jim-tressel-akron-president-search

I mean, seriously, are you guys such star-fu(kers that being associated with a football coach at the state's marquee program is worth selling your soul, even though said coach had to resign in disgrace for not following rules and in doing so cost his school, and himself millions? THIS is a guy you want leading your college? And if so, what kind of message about the NCAA rules does that send to all your coaches?

That and, ya know, not much of a background - or a PhD - in the admininstrative and academic sides of higher education.

But hey, he won a title at Ohio State a dozen years ago!

fknbuflobo repped this.
  14. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    If Akron hires him, you should expect mandatory sweater and tie day every Friday. Also FYI Tressel does have an honorary PhD from An Ohio State University in Ethical Relativism.

Real Mobile repped this.
  15. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What can I say? I agree with you.

Furthermore, I have heard that Tressel is openly antagonistic toward Soccer, in general.

16. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC

If that is true about Tressel, it reminds me of something I've experienced before. I.e., for many years I've known a quite a few football coaches, mostly at the high school level, as well as many more football fans who have been quite hostile toward soccer. I never did get why. It's not like soccer was going to overtake football in terms of fans here in the US, or anything -- at least not in the lifetimes of these guys from everything I've seen and know about these sports. Nevertheless, these football loving / soccer hating dudes always seemed to go out of their way to attack and belittle the game of soccer as well as soccer players. I could never figure out why, or where this was coming from. I'm fine with people not liking or not caring at all about soccer, but still don't understand the real, hard-core hostility towards soccer.

Personally, I enjoy both football and soccer; soccer a good bit more, but I'm also a football fan. I'm not a huge hockey, baseball, basketball or lacrosse fan, but I have no problem with these sports, and certainly don't go out of my way to "hate" these or any sports. (I will say that I think the Ultimate Fight stuff is a bit too much.)

18. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does a president need a Doctorate? It's just a fundraising role.

19. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    it's simple. a high school soccer program takes 50 athletic kids away from the football program. of course a HS football coach is going to demean the game in hopes of flipping soccer players to football players.

20. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get a "kick" out of Football lovers / soccer haters too, especially those who "were on the team" in HS, and then re-live the "glory" days until they have kids.. and then indocrinate them as well...The thing is.. most players "on the team" are just that.. "on the team"... few of them actually contribute.. or see significant playing time... I grew up playing FB.. pretty good at it actually.. played QB and LB.. ( both sides of the line)... until.. I realized.. soccer is a much better game.... especially the mental aspects of it... and.. both my boys.. grew up playing soccer.. and enjoy FB just as much as those kids who were "on the team" in HS... Difference is.. they both played D1 college soccer.. and have always contributed pretty well to their teams, through Youth and up through College...

SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  21. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    fknbuflobo repped this.
  24. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Laryea the first time I saw him. I said as much here, back in March. Love at first sight I suppose.

In the way he holds the ball, making it very difficult to dispossess him without fouling him; I dare say he reminds me of Darlington Nagbe.

MLS are not the only top-notch developmental academies in North America. Hopefully, more will spring up.