Libertarian Fail

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He nailed the NSA thing years ago

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As they say broken clocks and all.

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I try to avoid the belief that those with different political views are bad people, but sometimes it's hard. A selfish mooch who wants a special-treatment handout is a right-wing hero? Really? That is what you are going with?

Boogie_Down and bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Nevada seems like a really nice place for a drone strike.

6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Is this Team Blue 2014 or Team Red 2008? Same difference.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In the last 30+ years, I don't recall a single Democrat supporting anyone who refused to recognize the legitimacy of the US government, yet this guy is getting quite a bit of support from GOP quarters. Pretty significant difference.

Auriaprottu, bigredfutbol and dapip repped this.
  8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Murica

[​IMG]

Boogie_Down and bigredfutbol repped this.
  9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    "Both parties are the same" is libertarian code for "I prefer the GOP because it hates government too."

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Missed the point. This is one of those issues that have locals here in Vegas talking politics a little bit. I have no idea why this guy is being given hero status other than the fact he is standing up to the government on an issue that has little merit in my eyes. What I find odd is the talk from my Team Blue liberal friends on this subject. According to these folks, the best way to handle this issue is drone strikes, shooting him and his family, seizing his property at night and a few have mentioned calling him a terrorist and sending him to Guantanamo Bay. Sounds like the paranoia of Team Red 2008.

stanger and Moishe repped this.
  11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    If you haven't noticed GOP loves government and it's expansion. They just give lip service sometimes to score political points.

12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias

I have probably linked to this Wikipedia article a hundred times on P&CE. What it means is that you assume that the behavior of your liberal friends is indicative of all liberals nationwide. I don't know who your friends are, but I can guarantee you that your assumption is false. I have never advocated a violent response to this standoff. My impression is that these individuals have jobs and lives and will disperse until only Bundy is left; then the FBI can arrest him and hold a trial. I haven't heard a single one of my liberal friends say they want to injure or kill this man in any way.

What's going to cook your noodle is that I don't hold the opinion of my friends in any higher esteem than you should yours. Instead, we should look for a random poll of American citizens' beliefs on what to do in response to the standoff. If, indeed, a majority of Democratic respondents prefer using force, then we will have our answer.

Until then, you're going to just ignore whatever I say and continue doing what you're doing let's try to not impute the behavior of a few of our friends on millions of Americans.

13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Read post 980.

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Pot, kettle.

15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things:
    1) Nothing against cleansheetbsc, but he's not my friend. He's an acquaintance on the Internet with whom I agree with on a lot of issues.
    2) I think he was making a joke, bro.

I'm not sure what this means. If what you meant was that I take the behavior of conservatives on this site to be indicative of conservatives nationwide, you are free to show evidence that I do so regularly. I imagine that I fall victim to this bias regularly. If you meant something else, I am quite interested in your intention.

Again, this is what confirmation bias looks like. You hold a belief, you are provided with evidence that this belief is false, you retreat into believing it more.

16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I took it to mean he didn't read paragraph two if your post, second and third sentences...

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Did he actually say this, or even suggest it? It looks like his words say he's narrowly referring to "his liberal friends".

Just a thought: he may be referring to just "his liberal friends", full stop.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, again, this guy and his supporters are actually, literally, taking up arms, rejecting the legitimacy of the US government, and threatening violence. I don't recall anyone doing that during the Bush administration. And if anyone did, they got zero support from anyone affiliated with the Democratic party. Regarding drone strikes, etc., post 980 above is the first I've read that, but I don't read comments sections, and I don't live in Nevada.

dapip repped this.
  19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He used team blue before, that is more than just his alleged friends.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Both should be pepper sprayed, I agree.

22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I hope you're joking.

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    He said "my Team Blue liberal friends". In context, he's still talking about "his liberal friends".

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fvck no, what if a person on a wheelchair need to get by.

As they say in "Y tu mama tambien" [I support their right to organize and protest, but I also have a right to mandarlos a chingar a su madre for blocking the street].

Well I am paraphrasing, can't remember exactly the line.