2014 NBA PLAYOFFS

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by EPJr, Apr 17, 2014.

1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thing is, pierce is actually a leader, isnt a bitch and can play d unlike melo

2. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah I agree. In Chicago he wouldn't be asked to do any of that. Just score which he does at an elite level.

benni... and thebigman repped this.
  3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    You can't win a title as Melo as your leader or even most important (not necessarily best) player.
    He can probably help you win if he is the second banana and is mostly just required to score.
    He would have been terrific on those Riley/Van Gundy Knicks teams. Those guys would have made up for his deficiencies.

onefineesq repped this.
  4. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    even his scoring is overrated, he does score alot..but at the expense of the team so many times. his shooting fg % is very low, and his assists for a guy to be compared to durant or lebron is very very low.

5. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
  6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Glad that this team was able to show it can overcome adversity and a hole to pull out two wins. I still wished we were able to seal the deal when we were up for more than half the game.

benni... repped this.
  7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    So does this hurt Thibs argument as a great coach? Or does it show that he got way more out of that team than he should have? What'd he play Butler 53 minutes last night? This is sorta my argument against him as a great coach at this stage - he over-plays his players and doesn't seem as much of a wizard on the offensive side. Like other great defensive coaches, Belichek, Pop, etc., I think he needs to evolve on the other side of the ball to become great.

On the one hand, you can blame the talent he has available, but on the other hand, this sounds like coaching issues too:

"Twelve minutes, four baskets. Twelve minutes of missed shots, turnovers, 24-second violations, confusion, ineptitude and, ultimately, a missed free throw."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/stor...ls-buy-basket-game-2-need-buy-player-get-done

8. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nah not coaching, tell me who on that team can score? We've been relying on DJ Augustin, who was taken out by Ariza. Butler playing 53 minutes isn't an issue, Butler himself said before the series he can play 48 minutes a night if asked to. Unlike previous years, the bench is really not deep at all this season. You have Taj and Augustin, and that's it. Snell comes in for some spot minutes, which he really shouldn't be playing, and Nazr should be in retirement right now.

9. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Noah is the leader, Bulls have the defense to surround Melo. He really only needs to score here.

benni... repped this.
  10. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol Melo's scoring is overrated? Dude, watch a game from time to time or something

11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I just can't give him a total pass when the offense is so out of sorts. In my opinion he's successful in part because he treats the regular season like life and death when most coaches and players don't - and some coaches get the most out of their players on the offensive end, but does Thibs? If we could morph Don Nelson and Thibs we'd probably have an all time great coach.

And (directed to everyone) while some smack talk I guess is okay - I personally don't think we need it here. Like if my team just lost a playoff game and Henchag posted "LOL at the Spurs" I'd probably want to break my computer. That said, if I'm in the minority, I'll bow out. @JohnR has already been driven off by the childish basketball-lite discussion and I'm ready to crackdown on anything other than light hearted teasing.

12. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is the offense really out of sorts though? The fact he can actually get more than 2 points out of this team is impressive(obviously exaggerating, but you get my point). Lack of offensive players/playmakers with fatigue, because he needed his bench to come in a lot earlier will lead to some pretty bad offense.

13. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dragic wins MIP. I believe @zohee is from Slovenia, so I'm sure he's pretty happy right now.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Deserved him or gerald green....

I think chi need nore than melo, because i truely believe rose is done (sadly) if melo comes does he play the 4 or the 3? I guess mitrovic coming helps? I just think this all comes down to rose and i hope im wrong about him because hes a good kid

15. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I can congratulate him for sure, but like I said, I didn't see much improvement from him to be honest. He just found a coach and a team who trust him to be the man. Up until now he wasn't used probably, the same could be said about Deandre Jordan. But the guy deserves some recognition after being snubed at the All-Star game.

I think the goal next year will be to maintain this type of play and try to aim for the playoffs.

Dragic in a recent interview mentioned, that he might miss the upcoming World Championship in order to get some rest for the following season, but with him missing the playoffs, that could change.

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well - I just used that example from last game where there were turnovers, bad passes, shot clock violation, etc. but you watch them more than me - they couldn't be better drilled on the offensive side? Move the ball better, have more set plays, etc.?

17. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I'm leaning here with dark knight. The thing is, that even with Rose and Deng, people would still question Chicago's offence. It wasn't as bad clearly, but you still had Rose do all the offensive work. For example you have D'Antoni in LA, who can make a decent offence out of basically nothing. Just like Thibs can make a good defence out of nothing. Like he said, Thibs has yet to prove that he is more than just the ying, to D'Antoni's yang. Though I agree with you that the offensive situation with the Bulls is far from ideal.

18. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In crunch time in the NBA, it's really about getting isolation buckets, that's why you see the Bulls score up until the final minutes. And even with ball movement, set plays, etc.., who's going to put the ball into the hoop?

19. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    D'Antoni tells his guys to push the ball up offensively, without any regard for bad shots. In fact, his offensive numbers get inflated due to the high number of possessions his team has in a game.

End of games you need guys creating shots for themselves. Bulls only have 1(Rose) and to a lesser degree, DJ Augustin.

20. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Perharps D'Antoni isn't the best example in this situation. How about Alvin Gentry. That's a coach who builds a nice offensive system, where the ball moves, yet lacks knowledge on the defensive end, to be a great coach.

I obviously don't follow the Bulls as much as you do, and can only watch them from a far, but I still think the Bulls would benefit, from a better offensive system. This is probably another bad example, because he has 3 HOF players, but Pop has a great offensive system, in which even average offensive players can contribute a lot.

21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't totally agree with this - I would agree that stars often make the difference - but good teams draw up good plays that don't necessarily rely on iso basketball. Stars often can mask the failings of coaches that don't have great plays in their arsenal.

You make it sound like you have Hibbert on your team who can't make a lay-up or dunk ;)

onefineesq repped this.
  22. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Like I said, you need players who can create for themselves. Thibs' offense actually ranked in the top 10 in the NBA the year we had a healthy Rose. Alvin Gentry had Steve Nash and they never went away from the D'Antoni system.

23. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's almost that bad though. Taj Gibson? Well he can make a jumpshot now and you can post him up, but he needs to learn to pass out of the double team. Noah? Good player, but you can't rely on him offensively in crunch time. Hinrich? No, he's just bad. Butler? Offense has struggled ever since he suffered turf toe early in the year. DJ Augustin? Well he's getting shut down by Ariza.It's the same reason I thought the Bulls would be amongst the tanking team, they really lack offensive talent big time.

24. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    But Gentry has made the Clippers into the best offensive unit in the NBA. I said I'm with you on that, but a better system could be implemented. That being said, I still regard Thibs as a top 3 coach in the NBA.

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Didn't the Bulls fall apart offensively before crunch time?

And everyone thinks Melo is a good idea to add to that mix? I'm not so sure. I guess his dysfunction compliments Chicago's dysfunction, but is it a championship peanut butter and chocolate mix?

Someone made the comparison of Melo to guys like Adrian Dantley and Mark Aguirre to say that a scoring forward isn't going to bring you a championship. Not sure that's a great comparison (and Aguirre did win one I think with Detroit). Those guys were undersized I think.