Alert: It's only a matter of time...then who?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JamesA, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who would be your first choice as Moyes replacement?

1. Hiddink

4.5%
  2. Klopp

60.6%
  3. Laudrup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. De Boer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Garcia

3.0%
  6. Martinez

6.1%
  7. Van Gaal

13.6%
  8. Meulensteen

1.5%
  9. Other

10.6%
  1. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As per Red Issue and their sources he wants the job.

2. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As far as getting a replacement goes, if we got van Gaal as nearly a sure bet in coming here, and Klopp/Simeone/Ancelloti/Mourinho/Martinez are long shots, I'd say things look up. Any of those guys would set us up to play attacking football. If Woodward doesn't f' things up, I'd say we will return to our attacking ways next season.

3. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Let's do this again. The club is in a lot worse position now than it was 12 months back and choices are fewer.

I would take with no qualms
    - Heynckes + Solskjaer
    - CQ + Solskjaer

with some reservations
    - Klopp
    -Mourinho

with even more reservations
    - van Gaal + Meulensteen(/de Boer)
    - Ancelloti
    - Simeone

Anyone outside of this list is again a long shot appointment and a gamble from the board.

johno repped this.
  4. TheRedDevil

TheRedDevil Member

May 16, 2012
    Liverpool's Perch
    No qualms or problems with CQ + Solskjaer, but reservations with Mourinho?

[​IMG]

tscboys repped this.
  5. TheRedDevil

TheRedDevil Member

May 16, 2012
    Liverpool's Perch
    No it isn't, atleast now we're guaranteed that clown Moyes isn't a candidate anymore.

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Dearest Wayne/Amdrag

Regards

Teso

jeff070, J'can, Invincible and 4 others repped this.
  7. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    CQ would be a Villanova-esque appointment. Ole hasn't exactly torn up any trees outside Norway. Would love to see Heynckes, but he's pretty much retired. I doubt he'd be in the running...

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I was just coming to post something along the lines of if we dont get someone like Klopp or LVG then whomever we get, we're in a decent position to sure up the appointment with the likes of CQ and or Meulensteen.

I think though that I'd most like to see Klopp, Mourinho or CQ + someone big as his assistant.

I totally understand your reservations re Kopp and Mourinho. I think for different reasons, they still top my list (Heynckes would if I thought it was anything less than a pipe dream).

The upsides of Klopp and Mourinho mean the risks are acceptable.

Klopp:

He'll make significant additions to the squad, buy a lot of youth and there's a chance the whole thing blows up.
    BUT - we'll be younger, we'll have good attackers and the next guy will have something to work with if he fails.

Mourinho:

He is mercenary. He won't be long, the football won't be pretty and we likely won't be serious contenders for a CL during his tenure of 3 years.
    BUT - we'll be more athletic, the CM will be fixed, we will win at least one league while he's here and we will effectively bounce back from Moyes with few lingering effects.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When do you guys think we'll hear an official announcement of the next manager? Before seasons end? Before WC? After WC?

10. Vocalz

Vocalz ManUtd! SLB! Pt!

Dec 31, 2005
    California
    If it's VG I doubt you'll hear anything about it until after the WC. If it's anyone else you'll most likely hear about it right after the major seasons end.

11. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Depends on who it is.

It won't be before season ends, if it isn't announced before the World Cup it has to be van gaal. I'm assuming if it's anyone who isn't managing at the wc it will be announced as the season ends

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Van Gaal seems the perfect fit right now based on everything we've already talked about...no bullshit attitude, offensive tactics, proven, promotes youth, etc. The glaring problem with Van Gaal is that the WC will take up his entire summer. Meaning that unless some deals have already been agreed with players (and the new regime still wants them) we likely won't have the big summer of signings the club desperately needs.

If Van Gaal takes charge after the WC, let's say mid July, that gives him a month and a half to bring in his staff, assess the current squad, scout players, and make signings. That's very little time start the big overhaul needed.

jeff070 repped this.
  13. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    The interesting thing about that is if Van Gaal or whoever the new manager is doesn't get much time to make big changes to the squad, but ends up doing well anyway...that would only make moyes look even worse.

14. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    I'll be honest. I just want LvG in because out of all the realistic names listed, he's the only one who will have the balls to drop Rooney or at the very least play him in a position where he can do least damage to the team schematic... Ancelotti strikes me as a yes man and his handling of the break up of Milan's Dad's Army of 2007 doesn't exactly instil me with confidence that he could rebuild our team. LvG has shown that he is willing to give youth a chance everywhere he has been. Brought Alkmaar the title on a shoestring budget as well, so he's more than adaptable as well. I really can't see a downside to his appointment; even his issues with senior management would be a moot point here with the Glazers and Woodward very much hands-off when it comes to footballing matters. The players need a kick up the arse and if they disagree with his methods, quite frankly they can ******** off.

Invincible repped this.
  15. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's not Moyes though. He doesn't need time to "look at other things", find out who Shinji Kagawa is, or come to any shocking realisations about the difficulties of managing a top club.

Plus he doesn't have the added worry of a lack of whiteboards and iPads.

johno and benni... repped this.
  16. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    My fear about Klopp is, can he handle big egos at a big club?

17. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Longevity?

18. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I think that Ancelotti would propbably be a little more receptive to keeping Giggs, Scholes and the crew on board, compared to LvG.

But LvG's character, control and just overall demeanor is whats needed.

Carlo Ancelotti is cool, calm and collected, as well as experienced. But personally, I just prefer the philosophy that LVG brings.

Those to me, are the most obvious options available. Personally, I wouldnt want to give CQ, Rene or Giggs the job individually. But all three together IMO is a very good team. Not sure if thats realistic though.

johno, SyedZada, jeff070 and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't get how people come up with combo teams.

There is no guarantee how their chemistry will be together.

Ultimately need to get the right man in at the top and he can build his/her own team.

barroldinho repped this.
  20. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    division of labor. one person crosses the ball, the other heads it in.

Futbol_Head and benni... repped this.
  21. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Gab Marcotti has suggested in his new article that we should probably try and look for a Director of Football. I remember Fergie mentioning in his book about how he loved the Bayern model. Matthias Sammer is currently working there as the Sporting Director. Do you guys feel that it is something we should be doing?

One of the names that has been suggested on twitter was Nicola Cortese, who could do such a role. Considering that we are not yet completely sold on Woodward yet and his performance as chief executive. Would you guys feel it would be wise to head into this direction?

22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    If we go that route, there's no turning back.

The allure of giving a manager complete control also removes itself from a list of positivge reasons a foreign coach would come to England.

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    To an extent. To me though, you need a Giggs or Gary personality, a Keane drive and a Scholes brain to be a really good DoF. The reason I mention the players is because to me, our DoF should be a former player who is utterly loyal to the club. So perhaps maybe we need to wait. A Giggs' could do it you know, but not now. Maybe in 5 or 10 years. A Neville/Scholes partnership could do it too. TBF, the one player who I think could take it on, wouldn't be offered the job: Nicky Butt.

It isn't that we'd want a DoF to be some kind of domineering player. They'd work with the manager to ensure he understands not just our ethos but also to provide a link between managers and to look at 4-5 years down the road while the manager bruises his brain on today and tomorrow.

barroldinho, benni... and jeff070 repped this.
  24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  25. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    It's apparently either before May 7 or after the WC.