Week 3 P/I/P

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Apr 22, 2014.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I will be watching Week 3 using picture(s)-in-picture.

Oh, that's not what P/I/P meant? [gilda]n/m[/gilda]

3. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011
    OK!

Excited to see Crystal Dunn tomorrow. CD and Matheson were an exciting pair in their last game.

I think the Reign played really organized in their first game and should be able to handle the challenge. Elle Reed didn't have a great game, so I'm hoping to see more from her this game.

I don't see the Spirit holding much possession, but they didn't need it in their win. Reign could dampen the DM/CD threat by clogging the middle, since I don't see the Spirit being much threat on finishing crosses. Tricky, though is Nairn is dangerous on free kicks, the Reign can't give up fouls centrally where the Spirit like to attack.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a high scoring game, but Reign have too many attacking options for the Spirit to handle.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  5. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I suspect a bombardment from Seattle like we haven't seen since WW II.

6. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011
    Well rested Reign vs. short Spirit week may have something to do with that.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The real rub here for the Spirit isnt playing Sat-Wed as much as having to fly cross country to do it.

8. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

If Dunn is getting her form and ankle is coming along, she will kill Seattle's DM but Seattle will blow the rest of the team out the water. :laugh:

Kim Little is a really cool little player o_O like Dunn.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I predicted the game would go DC 1-3 SEA in the other thread, but I think the game will be closer than the score suggests. Even tired, I think Nairn/Matheson/Dunn are "clicking" now and will but up at least a decent fight against Seattle's field core. I haven't predicted the HOU-SEA game yet as I want to wait for the injury report, but I'm expecting HOU 0-1 SEA at the moment, since Houston plays well enough that I think they'll be able to mostly shut Seattle down like they did Portland, but against an organized D they may not score.

10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Correct me if I wrong, but Houston has a makeshift back-line right now. They have plenty of Hustle but I think Washington is stronger going into a game against Seattle. Isn't Winters a DMer, so she will be seeing plenty of Dunn? That can't be good, even-though I have to admit she has played well since last season. And she was one of the NT players I liked to dog. :whistling: I think Seattle throttles Houston and Washington plays them tight.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Dunn plays wide and will most likely contend with the full backs which based on last game were Cox and Reed. If Harvey wants extra cover, there is Fishlock who also plays DM. Winters most likely will be focused on Averbuch given they are closer in height.
    I expect Fishlock to roam around and help cover both Matheson and Dunn

12. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011
    I thought Dunn showed flashes of Marta, using speed and moves to cut in centrally from the wing. Look at where Matheson is shooting from on her assists - right at the top of the box. Dunn had basically penetrated to get it there.

Dunn had a few good crosses from the corner, but I think the team is much more dangerous if she's attacking the goal from the end line (where DM can run onto a cutback) than sending in crosses no one will finish.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, true, it's makeshift in the sense that three of the four players they wanted on the backline aren't available right now, but Romero, Ohale, and Diggs have really played well - better against Portland than against Boston, oddly, but there you go - and Houston does have a great 'keeper, too. Washington will be coming in tired versus a rested Seattle, while Houston will be coming in rested versus a tired Seattle. All things considered, I think Houston fares better - at least this week. Still not likely getting a point either, but better.

14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    #14 Blaze20, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    At this point, we pretty much have one sample point to go by. In the first game, Dunn was ineffective either due to the defense or her injury. Using one game then to compare her to Marta or even using it as a sign of her strength in this league is premature.

15. Newfor2010

Newfor2010 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Asker FK
    Absolutely and I have seen Dunn a lot. Keep in mind - she is still not 100% game ready. She was supposed to be limited to 75 minutes and went 90 plus stoppage time and then flew across the country and they have a game 3 days later.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Diggs hasnt played yet...Ur thinking of Holly Hein.

NilamCA and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  17. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011
    Didn't mean to imply "flashes of = as good as."
    Agree she is not in that conversation, and sample size is too small to be sure what she can bring consistently. Her ball skills and creativity may never be in Marta's class, and she's not even the best player in this league.

I was reaching for a way to say, when she's on, CD has pop.

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad news for the Spirit- Weimer tore her ACL.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wow...that took a long time to determine. That's a blow...they could have used another experienced goal scorer.

20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Harvey is seriously killing my fantasy team, ugh. Where's Rapinoe???

21. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Yeah, I just checked my line-up and Sam Kerr was my back-up Forward.... already know she did bupkis on Saturday.

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    not much of a crowd

23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [SEA-WAS]
    02' 0-0 Seattle left corner, curled low to 6-top left post. #? comes center-to-left, hops awkwardly to opens hips, right instep volley low to upper left 90, Harris leaps and pushes it just wide and over. Like the play Japan ran in WWC'11 ...

02' 1-0 Seattle left corner, curled higher to 6-top 4/5 right. DF #13 Kendall Fletcher boxes out her defender, awkward hopping volley facing far touch -- perfect soft lob up into the upper right 90, over Harris's stretch. Work her side to side!

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12' 1-0 Seattle fk at 20m box right. Little curls it to 6-top left post, Harris slaps it across and out. Seattle recover, square to Little at 22m arc left, but she rushes a shot and the ball gets stuck under her feet a bit -- weak shank, Washington counters up right touch.

25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 Gilmoy, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    17' 1-0 Seattle squares from box left, Washington muffs a clearance. Goebel at 15m one-times a snap shot up centerline, Harris smothers.

Washington seems to be in a 4-2-3-1:
    14 Jodie Taylor
    8 Diana Matheson, 99 Danesha Adams, 19 Crystal Dunn
    7 Christine Nairn, 4 Yael Averbuch
    5 Robyn Gayle, 19 Toni Pressley, 23 Victoria Huster, 11 Ali Krieger
    1 Ashlyn Harris

Gayle is listed as #15 on the roster, but she's clearly wearing the #5 jersey tonight. Kittens were nesting in the #15, and she didn't want to disturb them --