Player You Would Least Like To See Make The World Cup Roster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LDubsPP, Apr 20, 2014.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castillo, followed by Evans.

wsmaugham repped this.
  2. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Difficult to answer this without the context of who misses out instead. If Eddie Johnson goes and Wondolowski stays for example, I'm not going to lose sleep, even though on current form I'd certainly take Wondolowski. Neither are projected to see a whole lot of playing time and you can make a case for either anyway. Wondo has better instincts to find a ball in the box whereas Eddie Johnson could get behind the defense or get his head on a corner. Either could see playing time if we need a late winning goal vs. Ghana and it's really anyone's guess who is more likely to deliver in that hypothetical situation.

If Klinsmann actually does leave Donovan off the plane because of a bad training day, or declines on taking Bedoya in favor of his man crush on Brek Shea's ability to run in a straight line to the corner and cross the ball 50 yards into the stands, yeah, I'm concerned. Basically I doubt I'll be too upset about anyone making the team, regardless of my preferences, because I'm quite sure everyone who really needs to be on the team will be on the team. And then we are talking about whether Julian Green rides the pine and maybe gets a few minutes or Brek Shea does, and quite frankly, who really cares?

3. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to pick, but I don't want Shea, Castillo, Beltran, Davis, or Evans on the roster.

Mr Martin repped this.
  4. bye_urn

bye_urn Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea is at the top of this list for me. Next would be Dempsey because I read on these here boards he is unworthy of his captaincy and is never going to regain his for....er....never mind.

Footsatt and ttrevett repped this.
  5. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised by the amount of Evans votes. Not saying I'd feel comfortable with him defending against someone like Ronaldo (and let's be real, there's nobody we currently have i'd be comfortable with going against ronaldo). However I wouldn't mind hate to see him on the team. He isn't anything special, but he's solid enough as depth option.

I'd say Castillo. Only because unlike Beltran who i don't think would start, and Shea who i think is actually useful as a sub, Castillo would have a fairly decent shot to start. And that would terrify me, even more so than Evans.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Evans, Edgar Castillo, Brad Davis, for sure. Just say no to the Brads... if your last name isn't Guzan no Brazil for you. Add Beasley if he's going to be used as a fullback. Add EJ if he's going to be used as a winger.

Beazley17 repped this.
  7. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Evans
    Omar Gonzalez

8. smokey

smokey Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Cali
    I will root for whoever puts on the shirt. Each and every selection from JK gets my support regardless of my opinion of their quality.

9. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I 'rooted' for Bornstein, that doesnt mean I didnt cringe at the sight of his awfulness on the field, our guys are our guys, but you can be honest with yourself that some of them just shouldn't be on the field.

10. smokey

smokey Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Cali
    We have a very imperfect player pool to select from with regard to talent. JK has a very difficult job to make appropriate selection amongst all different strength and weaknesses of our players. Some have speed and strength but lack skill and technique. Some are older and wise and some are younger and not so smart. Lets take MB whom most would say our best player. Well even he is very limited athletically. Against very fast and skillful midfielders, he becomes invisible and ineffective. The players that do not belong have already been filtered. I do not see anyone in the 30 I imagine that does not belong.

11. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Pretty much this. None of those players are good enough.

12. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's the group I've been going round and round on with regard to this thread.

raza_rebel repped this.
  13. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Mine includes Orozco-Fiscal. He's good enough against CONCACAF but the thought of him trying to contain a Marco Reus, CRonaldo or KPB is disturbing.

Mr Martin repped this.
  14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I think I'd feel a little bit more comfortable with him than with the list of Shea, Castillo, Beltran, Davis, or Evans.

15. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar Gonzalez, Chris Wondolowski, Timothy Chandieler and Edgar Castillo.

16. bye_urn

bye_urn Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I interpreted this post to be about who, of those with an outside chance, would you least like to see make the roster. Based on some of the responses here, many of you are going to be extremely disappointed. Especially those who said Gonzo or Evans, because outside of injury their tickets are punched.

17. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castillo, Orozco, Gooch, Davis

i have no use for any of them
    i hope none of them make the 30
    would b a waste, imo

18. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually holding on to hope that Evans doesnt come, but I will admit the retirement of Dolo has made that much more likely, and as I said above, he's ok as the 23rd guy, dont want any part of him starting and he shouldnt with a healthy Cameron.

19. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As others have already said I am going to support who ever is called up and I have faith that JK is going to know a little more about this team than I am. But I'll still have a go and say Shea. Always thought he was slightly over rated by US fans and have thought some of the hype is more related to his "look" than his actual skill. This has only been reinforced by the way he has carried himself in England.

Maybe I am just biased against him from the start but Shea would be my choice.

20. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Except the irony is that Bornstein is an example of why fans shouldn't necessarily hate on an unpopular selection. Bornstein played well in South Africa, despite our nervousness about him going into the tournament.

babieca, russ and Mr Martin repped this.
  21. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough point, although he was awful plenty of times in other of games, I'm not willing to bet that Evans is somehow going to be decent in Brazil against all odds. He's ok as the 23rd man.

22. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an interesting thread, but I feel so bad putting anyone's name here because the players want so badly to go.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Evans has lost form this year, but the year before that he did very well in JK's system. He was exactly what he needed: a guy who could play RB and RM, and also as third CB. That flexibility allowed rotations and changes that none of the other available options (Lichaj, Chandler, Parkhurst) allowed. We have to admit he did well in the Hex, not doing so would be biased.

However, with his loss of form, he's thrown a monkey wrench into JK's system. Using Fabian or Cameron or Parkhurst as RB, the team has shown much less flexibility. With Evans rotating into a stay-at-home RB who moved more centrally (virtually a 3rd CB), the LB became a winger (Fabian or Beasley), and the RM could act also as a winger (Bedoya or Corona), spreading attacks very wide across the field. I think that's why JK stuck so long with Evans, and I think he'll take him unless his form shows no recovery.

Also, that allowed using Cameron as a DM/CM, which gave more flexibility across the middle, allowing Bradley to move forward calmly. Without Evans, the two options are:

- Cameron starts as RB, Bedoya as RW; on the left, Beasley or Parky as RB, Fabian as RW. Pros: the most defensive formation on the sides. The Con: both Fabian and Cameron likely to cut toward the middle, losing width; also, who's sending the crosses?

- Fabian starts as RB (the role he's taken with Hoffenheim), with Bedoya/Zusi ahead; on the left, Parky has Donovan in front of him. The problem here is the right side, where either the attack will be limited, or much space will be left for their attacks. The plus is that Cameron can go and play in the middle with Bradley --a better option than Jones, IMO.

For all the stick Brad Evans gets here, I think he was a very important piece in Klinsmann's rotation system. But yes, based on his display in the last months, he shouldn't be going.

24. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    Jonathon Bornstein

25. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, I agree with the notion that we shouldn't be calling peoples' names out. It reminds of the disgraceful way our fans treated Brian Ching last cycle.

Brad Evans scored that awesome last minuter against Jamaica.
    Beasley has 115 caps -- enough said.
    Gooch has had one of the most unlucky careers outside of guys named Stewart.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.