It's Al Lang...For a While

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by kenntomasch, Sep 12, 2012.

1. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That would be a possibility. Edwards has already called out the city for not keeping up the venue to standards that are within the lease.
    Already doing a great job with corporate sponsors it could be time for the Rowdies to drop the Al Lang name and find a possible corprate naming rights that could help with the upkeep of the venue.

2. tbpirate

tbpirate Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Tampa,FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am glad they called the city to the carpet on Al Lang. It really needs a lot of work. It smells like mold and bad sewage. I think this combined with the suggestions of a new downtown plan, will speed up a new SSS. For those on council still holding on to the past and baseball, there can be a mural or some other tribute to the sports history of the site.

3. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    For sure the Rowdies are the only full time tennant. Noe MLB team uses it for sprong training. There were some international teams using it for Spring training but not sure if they still are and if so finding another venue could be possible especially if the Stadium is not being properly kept up why would the Canadian or Dutch National teams want to use it for Spring training.
    If not going to be done by the city allowing the Rowdies to keep up with the needs in return for the use of the venue would seem fair.
    Hard Rock Cafe stadium or Hard Rock Cafe pitch has a very modern pro sports sound to it.

4. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I said the same thing I think it looks great and is a good move by the club to invest in. That being said someone mocked me. You can only do with what you have

6. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    http://tbo.com/pinellas-county/al-lang-repairs-may-not-be-done-for-rowdies-opener-20140331/

Seems like Edwards is waging a campaign against the Baseball commission. We are midway through a four year agreement if I remember correctly. This is either his way of getting out of the contract to head somewhere else or a power play to get the city to squeeze out the commission. My guess is the latter. Edwards is investing in premium seats using his own dime. He likely would like the 100k that the city has earmarked for the facility to be used on things that would benefit the Rowdies. How much of that money is wasted on converting the baseball diamond to grass for soccer? And what is the result? One of the shittiest looking pitches in the league. A permanent conversion to grass would do wonders. However, why would he want to invest more money into a facility that is being mismanaged by the baseball commission?

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the summer.

7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    An owner who is willing to invest and the Rowdies being the only full time tennant. There is some international teams using the venue but it could just be time to let go allow the Rowdies to exclusive soccer use and the little international teams have many many other stadiums that can be used.

8. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #233 G Enriquez, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    That's true. There are a many minor league ball parks in the Bay Area. Those game can be played at any one of those parks.

Al Lang Stadium is located in probably the best location in the country,on the waterfront. We already are the envy of the NASL in terms of stadium location. If the City of St Pete were to convert Al Lang into a soccer stadium,we'd have players knocking down our door wanting to play for the Rowdies.

FNovoa repped this.
  9. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies

^ I concur.

10. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The new stands looked great. Just needed a few more butts in them, but Edwards priced those as premium seating so it will be tough to sell them out.

The team has certainly ramped up its promotions and game day experience. Was the third best gate in history, which is a strong start to the season up nearly three thousand over last season's opener. The broadcast was well done and the club has good momentum off the field.

Now if the on the field product can shape up as well....

brentgoulet repped this.
  11. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new seats looked great!
    They gave Al Lang Stadium a more soccer stadium feel by enclosing the field. My wife and I were saying how much more intimate the stadium felt last night than previous seasons.

brentgoulet repped this.
  12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    A Soccer Specific Baseballstadium ? :thumbsup:

Bluesfan repped this.
  13. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully not for long.

14. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Edwards has decided to engage in a public game of chicken to try and wrest control from the SPBC. With his background, I wonder if he is planning on trying to get control of ALF to turn it into an entertainment destination.

16. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God,I hope so. Just adding those new seats made all the differnce in the world in terms of match atmosphere.

17. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    As he should; ALF is an embarrassment without vast improvements or (again) buy it, knock it down and build anew.

18. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    He has shown a willingness to invest money, but I am sure he has a limit if he doesn't have control of the joint.

brentgoulet repped this.
  19. BuckheadRyan

BuckheadRyan New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hopefully Bill Edwards can work with the city of St. Pete to re-position the Al Lang site to a multi purpose soccer first facility!

FNovoa repped this.
  20. USAUnited33

USAUnited33 Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we heard any news about possibly being part of the other pro teams in the state for the state government money to renovate Al Lang?

21. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Last I heard, the bill that is designed to assist the Miami MLS club (and maybe Orlando) get funding for stadiums had an amendment proposed to include NASL clubs as well. The amendment was voted down.

Private financing is going to have to be secured for any renovations.

22. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It may be high time for the Rowdies to also find corprate naming rights to AL Lang. If that becomes an issue with the city owned field Pitch Naming rights for home Rowdies games would also be an option.

23. Support Your Local FC

Jun 12, 2012
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    No doubt, but state funding might not be out of the question yet:

24. Support Your Local FC

Jun 12, 2012
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Warning: wild speculations on my part follow; do not take me too seriously...

If I recall correctly from reading back when the Rays had a proposal to build on the Al Lang site, you would need a vote to approve new use for city owned land. I assume corporate naming rights and/or a rebuild of the Al Lang site (including transfer of control from the baseball commission to the Rowdies) would also require a vote. I assume.

And, looking further ahead, who knows, if the Rays move across the Bay to Tampa, the Tropicana site might open up for redevelopment by the Rowdies for a MLS SSS; the Trop site has lots of parking and is better located next to highway access, unlike Al Lang, and is still within walking distance of downtown St. Pete bars and restaurants. And with most games on weekends, the Rowdies wouldn't have the same trouble luring fans over the bridge that the Rays have, with so many weeknight MLB games....

Someone else speculating along these lines:

Also I did a search of the Tampa Bay Rowdies trademark recently, looks like Citrus has several trademarks submitted, including some submitted this year, for Rowdies, Tampa Bay Rowdies, St. Pete Rowdies, St. Petersburg Rowdies, etc. Now I don't think Edwards would be silly enough to flush our history down the drain by changing the name of the team, but I could see the Rowdies setting up a PDL or NPSL affiliate or academy team in St. Pete named the St. Pete Rowdies. Or maybe if/when the Tampa Bay Rowdies move up to MLS, they could run a second team in NASL or USL named the St. Pete Rowdies. Put the MLS Tampa Bay Rowdies team in a new SSS on the Trop site and the lower league St. Pete Rowdies on the Al Lang site. Just wild speculation on my part; please don't take me too seriously.

I do think though if St. Pete is smart they should be looking for what to do with the Trop site when the Rays move, which is going to happen eventually. MLS could be good for St. Pete, assuming Edwards (and other potential Rowdies investors) are interested in MLS. I do think that St. Pete could work for the Rowdies long term, as most of the Rowdies home games are on weekends. Crossing the bridge is a big deal for the Rays because of the hassle of weeknight traffic; less of a hassle for the Rowdies on weekends. I have opposed the idea of the Rowdies playing in St. Pete for a long time, but I'm starting to come around on the idea. If anyone can make it work, Edwards can.

Okay that's all the wild speculation from me for a while. Back to lurking.