Reign 2014 - General discussion

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Aug 23, 2013.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Another video with Harvey. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of women's professional teams in this country or any country for that matter, but is it strange to just me that Harvey pretty much have their training sessions for the entire season mapped out already.
    She must have had a pretty busy offseason when she wasn't making trades.

3. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011
    This Hope Solo interview is incredibly insightful regarding national team preparations, schedule. This is a very thoughtful interview from Solo, identifying the tradeoffs between 7 month Nats camp vs. league play.

4. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011
    I thought Elle Reed didn't have her best game vs. Boston. Wondered if Brigman or Frisbie might get a look at RB next game...then noticed Brigman was Dunn's teammate at UNC. Might be interesting to see a Brigman vs. Dunn matchup Wednesday.

I don't really know Brigman other than what I've read from draft reports. It sounds like she has good speed, but I don't know how she plays.

I'm certainly not calling for Reed to be benched either. Hopefully she can do better than last week, and of course HAO is not an easy assignment.

5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    You forgot to include the video :p but don't worry I know which video you are refering to as I've seen all Reign videos.

What I found interesting about that video is that Solo stressed the fact that for the first time in a long while she feels like she is playing for a professional club. Strange

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I noticed this as well especially in the first half as most of Boston attack came from that wing with HAO. She did better in the first half especially when Devanna keep on.

I too will like Brigman playing at least a half if and when we have the game in hand.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, not so strange considering her record...

It's taken a bit for Seattle to win her over, though that was more on her attitude than on the club.
    The-club-that-must-not-be-named was very obviously unprofessional, even if the WNTers there enjoyed it.
    She was always vocally critical of Atlanta.
    So I may be looking through green-tinted glasses, but my impression was the last club she really enjoyed and appreciated was St. Louis.

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    So funny think today, I'm in a meeting at work and someone has a star bucks cup nearby and the it hit me, the Reign logo look really similar to starbuck's.

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty interesting. I Googled Starbucks, which brought up, among other things, the Starbucks logo. I copied its Google URL. I tried to insert it here as a picture, but couldn't. I guess Starbucks doesn't like anyone but itself posting its logo.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    upload_2014-4-21_22-46-34.png

11. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011
    Yeah, no.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good job Blaze20. Good marketing, hope it works.

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Good marketing for whom? The reign or starbucks?

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I can see the commercial now..Kim Little dribbling up the pitch with a cup of coffee in her hand...maybe Rapinoe with one balanced on her head?

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    #690 Blaze20, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Here's a short film on Syd & Pinoe by the same guys who did the Reign documentary at the end of last season.

So in the theme of their last film on this team, this one also deals with personal topics more so than the standard questions you get.
    They both discuss what they like about each other and why they think they get on so well and how they will describe each other to a potential girlfirend or boy friend (spoiler alert Syd is single Rapinoe is not).

There were also a discussion about their different up bringing in that Rapinoe grew up in your typical house hold while Syd grew up with a single mom though she thanks her dad for giving her US citizenship :D.

Lastly there was a bit of discussion on will they have kids while playing and it's a no for Rapinoe and Syd will like to have a big family whenever that happens.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Levy films does a great job with these pieces.

17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Reign in the news.

459354862548176897 is not a valid tweet id

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How does anybody rate Leroux's performance so far? Only two games so far but she hasn't scored yet, and the way the Reign dominate the midfield, Leroux doesn't quite have the space to work with. Do you think this might change when Fishlock & Little(who simply been quite 'smashin'(in there lagnuage}} got to take time off to play at euro qualifiers?

19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think she has done ok on the wing. It really depends if Harvs wants to play her in the middle alongside Goebel when Kim and Jess are not there or keep her on the wing ?

20. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011
    I had to come back to this and say, Reed played much better last game. Strong defense, and nice assist. Good for her!

21. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011
    And a good shot on goal, just outside the near post, IIRC.

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    [​IMG] (2-0-0) vs (1-1-0)[​IMG]

Match Day 3: April 27, 2014
    NWSL Regular Season
    Moda Health Pitch Memorial Stadium
    4:00pm (PST), 7:00pm (EST)

Injury Report

Seattle Reign FC

OUT: Amanda Frisbie (adductor strain), Carmelina Moscato (right foot stress reaction)
    PROBABLE: Megan Rapinoe (left foot contusion)

Houston Dash
    OUT: Lauren Sesselmann (left acl tear), Brittany Bock (left acl tear)
    PROBABLE: Bianca Henninger (right hip flexor strain), Ella Masar(left hamstring tightness), Kealia Ohai (right ankle sprain), Osinachi Ohale (right ankle sprain)

Match Preview

23. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    My thoughts on the match against Houston

- Position by position, Reign have better players than the Dash. However, they do play well together as a team and with a lot of heart. It will be foolish for the Reign to underestimate them or take their foot of the gas like they did for long stretches in the Spirit match. I do not expect that will be the case as Houston will not be sitting back.

- In their last match, the Dash played with a 3-woman backline which would make sense against a Boston team that plays 4-5-1 but not so much against a team like Reign with many offensive options. I therefore expect at least a 4 woman defense.

- In their last two matches, they do play a high line which have worked because their midfielders do a lot of work providing cover through aggressive play. This is why I think a player with Leroux's speed will be crucial in this match as she will be able to get behind the defense on counters.

- On the flip side, Cox and Reed will have their work cut out for them trying to contain the Dash offensive players. So far, the Reign defense haven't really being tested and today will be a good time for that before they begin this rode trip.

Looking forward to a good game today and hopefully more people turn up than the mid week game.

kernel_thai repped this.
  24. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I wanted to create a new thread, but BS is being difficult. Does anyone have a break down of all the international dates that players are expected to be gone. i.e. When Nahomi will be out, Little, Fishlock, etc. I know the US scheduled games.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    there is a thread called International Dates...a catchall thread... BlueCrimson has been keeping all that stuff pretty up to date
    As to Naho, she leaves on May 4th and prolly wont rejoin the team until June...Asian Qualifiers are May 14 - 25 I think