New York Cosmos & NASL

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by evan eleven, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I was at the FC Edmonton - Cosmos game tonight. NY is a good team. They had more possession than the Eddies. FCE didn't press high, ever, which was a mistake. They ceeded possession to half way to NY, a bit too much respect. Senna bossed the midfield. Neither team really had much in the way of quality chances. NY's goal really came out of nothing. Credit to them, they really shut down FCE and broke up their attacks time and time again and nicked a goal.

2. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The feed was horrible so it's nice to hear a report from someone who was there, canpro. It was an ugly match and it seemed to me the Cosmos didn't play that well but 3 points is 3 points. Hopefully playing on that surface didn't sap them too much for next week's big match against San Antonio

3. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stokes To Seba / Seba To Stokes - these two are starting a nice little trend each week!
    Cosmos win - here's a short little recap from Saturday's match!
    http://bit.ly/1pk2EzG

4. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The feed was decent again, however, the audio at times lost sync with the video. It was annoying to hear that "Mauer saves the shot" when the Eddies were still in the midfield. At least, I can see the away games...

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  5. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they played well considering how tough the Eddies are defensively... They really don't get the credit they should... They are also a better team in many respects.

6. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought getting the win at that shithole was fantastic. The Eddies clearly are not a skillful side, as evidenced by their thuggish play over 90 minutes...leaving their without any serious injuries is a miracle. The surface is also pretty awful, i mean there is turf, and then their is TURF...that was TURF.

Edmonton's tactics are pretty easy to figure out, they just maintain pressure on the ball knowing the surface will cause all sorts of bounces and miss touches and then hope to turn that into a chance or two. Cosmos were too skillful on the ball for that though.

8. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think they're supposed to get new turf, not sure that'll happen this season though. I've read a couple of articles regarding the game and they both mention the turf conditions. I hope they change that soon. About the style of play yes they're a physical team they beat you down and wear you out, I'll take these three points and count my lucky stars, sometimes when playing teams like this skill gets dulled by strength.

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The new turf is supposed to be put in place between the Spring and Fall Season. It will not have permanent football lines being removed for FCE games which will be on sundays with the cost going to FCE. So the franchise is putting all the effort into this as they did with the expanded seating.

10. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sportsnet 360 dropped FCE telecast because of the football lines and right after the announcement of the new turf City TV Edmonton owned by Rogers picked up the rest of the home broadcasts

11. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Attendance is looking good at FCE, new turf will help keep it going.

12. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edmonton knowing the surface at home is expected... but they are also a tough team when on the road... The score could have been 2-1 if the ball bounced their way. Our boys controlled the ball as expected and they are a better team then last year but I thing the Eddies are a better team than last year and a team not to be underestimated.

13. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sort of like what is going on in Tampa Bay where the recent old standard is not what it should be and the stadiums they have they need to work with and both ownership groups are putting in their own money for a better fan and player experience

14. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He almost has to say that. He wants to keep the spotlight on NYCFC. As a Cosmos supporter this doesn't phase me, number one priority is a home to call our own. Getting a stadium would be key for our club to grow.

16. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1642 oneeyedfool, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    It would probably be smart for the Cosmos ownership to double down with NASL now and help them find good owners for other major markets in the US to help NASL grow. O'Brien is well-connected in Asian sports so perhaps he knows some wealthy potential owners in the Far East or Middle East via Sela Sport who might want to collaborate with local investors to bring NASL soccer to San Francisco, St Louis, Detroit, San Diego, Austin, Baltimore andBoston (closer to the city not Foxboro) to give MLS a real fight

17. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don changes direction like some folks change shoes... Let's see how it plays out within the next 3 years.

18. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    First home loss since the Ronald Reagan administration :(

19. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. (They call him) RMc

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  21. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A GJGE performance, at that.

22. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the crowd in those pictures I posted, you might need to take off that zero in the attendance number...

mng146 repped this.
  23. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Tough game yesterday. They scored on a great individual play, after that not much at all for San Antonio. Cosmos had the lions share of possession but didn't have the ability to break them down on the last third. Credit to Scorpions D, actually the entire team was on D, it worked they got the three points.
    Yesterday weather was not cooperating at all, it was windy and cold coupled with some rain, I was bringing the entire family but when we saw the way weather was going some of us stayed home. First time I see you post here, and you come telling us things we already know. We expect nay Sayers like you to show up when things don't go extremely well for us. I wonder if you'll show around here when crowds hit the 7K again.
    On a different note I think we missed Guenzati a great deal, Jemal didn't convince me, he doesn't take players one on one.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  24. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree if the weather is crap, fans stay home unless it is some huge game. However the field... just as bad as football lines across it.. ;)