Yanks Abroad: Flavors of the Week 2013(R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Jozy drew a penalty yesterday and Boyd scored two goals today. Need a AJ to pick up the pace and I think we will be fine on the striker front.

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bedoya apparently scored with Nantes today

FlipsLikeAPancake and ImaPuppy repped this.
  3. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Kenny Saief scores again for Ramat vs. Hapoel Haifa in the Israeli Premier League:

Looks really physical from what I've seen and is only 20.

4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    And here is that goal (must watch on youtube), Nantes won this one 6-2:

Excellent finish. This dude belongs in Brazil, and he's a lock in my eyes.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This never ends, does it.......how about of I scream "UNCLE, I WILL HANG MYSELF IF I HAVE TO WATCH TORRES GET RUN OVER ONE MORE TIME!!!"

B.t.w, Flip, who would you kick off the team to make room for your selection of Torres?

keller4president repped this.
  6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well taken goal, even if I think his chances of being left that open by Ghana, Portugal or Germany is zero.

7. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, the keeper coming out and hanging about in no man's land. It was a nice finish though. I think he should come to Brazil.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Oh, sure.

Actually, the interesting thing about Bedoya is that he has surprisingly scored important goals for all the teams he has played for. The guy flies under the radar, so to speak. Klinsi likes guys with the x factor. Bedoya will be in Brazil, gteed.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think its just a question of whether he is going to start or not, and I think he should. I think he is a better goal scorer and defender at RW than Zusi is. Zusi's better at providing service off of dead balls and he helps the team possess the ball better than Bedoya, but in the group the USA has, I think Bedoya's strengths help the USMNT more.

Beazley17 repped this.
  10. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, your reading comprehension is terrible. I don't want Torres on the team. I don't think he is good enough. But I objected to keller4president's argument that his poor play in the World Cup in 2010 is why he isn't on the team now. He has been capped 15 times since then. Torres's mediocre performances in his Klinsmann era caps is why he isn't on the team, not because he didn't play well against Slovenia 4 years ago.

SPA2TACU5 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Think Bedoya and Zusi will each start at least 1 match in Group G. Don't think the use of the two are mutually exclusive.

Tom Collingsworth and COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    But Keller4presidemt never said that. Here is the post in question

"
    Torres had his WC chance four years ago and messed it up big time against an underwhelming Slovenia squad. A few good games in Liga MX isn't going to make up for that.

I'd rather have Feilhaber or Mix than Torres at this point. He doesn't offer enough on the defensive or offensive side of the ball - he's also pretty slight of frame
    "

Nowhere does he say that Klinsmann is leaving Torres off the roster due to his performance against Slovenia.

13. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My post was made in the context of the follow up conversation. A poster pointed out that the Slovenia games were 4 years ago, and keller responded by saying sometimes you only get one chance. This made it seem like the reason Torres shouldn't be on the squad is because he didn't play well 4 years ago when he was only 22 years ago. Since he has been capped many times since then, I don't think that's the reason.

Now I assume that the reason you responded to my post was to argue against Torres's inclusion. I have now explained to you that I don't want Torres on the team, and that my post was a different argument. Now you've decided to want to take up that argument for god knows what reason. Quit trolling me.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This is unfair. I'm disappointed in you. Why not just say "sorry, I misunderstood what Keller was saying, I re-read his post and it seems he was refering to his own opinion, not Klinsmann's". It is so sad that somebody trying to play a constructive role in the Big Soccer community should be lambasted as a troll.

15. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because that's not what happened, troll.

Dirt McGirt and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  16. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I've made my thoughts on JFT known, but I'll also point out that in the last couple of years, guys I'd think are his direct competition in Zusi and Bedoya took advantage of their chances when they came and haven't looked back so far. Even a guy like Brek Shea, who looks awful as a starter anymore, has made a big impact at various times coming off the bench. Same with a guy like Brad Davis who has had an assist or 2 (or atleast some good service) when he's been given a look.

Torres really hasn't had that moment under Jurgen where he really had a positive impact on the game. But I honestly think the big reason he hasn't gotten as many looks recently is the qualifier against Honduras (I believe) where it was a very physical first half and JFT let the physicality and chippiness of our opponent get to him and take him out of his game.

17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't agree more, I think Bedoya is lock to start against Portugal. I think MB90 is only Midfielder who will start all the games.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  18. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree to all the above, but I think he is going to fly less under the radar next year if he does well this summer. He's had a bunch of nice goals and he is a pretty versatile guy that seems to do well where ever he's been.

19. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Twitter, Tim Ream was just named Boltons player of the year

DiscoWarrior11 and Namdynamo repped this.
  20. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Dunno if posted yet in the cluster fuzz of a thread, but TIM REAM was voted Player of the Year.
    [​IMG]

Hararea repped this.
  21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That surprised me, which I say as someone who did not see one Bolton game this year. I would love to see him over 32 yr old 4th wc Beasley as a backup lb in Brazil. I wonder what Klinsi thinks about that. We know he has no problem with Bolton quality since he went out of his way to get Holden here for the Gold Cup last year

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, it should show a certain mental toughness after the Jozy-like season he had at Bolton last year. He stayed, fought for his place and slowly re-built his status with the team. Not saying Beasley doesn't have that, but he sure did take on a pretty big challenge. Had he listened to Big Soccer, he would have found out that he doesn't have the physical toughness to play is such a hard league like the Championship, he doesn't have confidence to play there, he should just come back to MLS and continue being the mediocre defender that he is, etc., etc., etc.

dwsmith1972 and SpencerNY repped this.
  23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Or we could put it down to playing lb instead of cb.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He simply stayed and worked on the faults commonly acknowledged.

25. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ream is still pretty young, hated him in his first tries with the team, but want to see him again after the Cup, doubt JK is going to call him into the 30 after not seeing him for so long.