Pre-Match/Match/Post-Match Thread - ACC - Toronto FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC - May 7, 2014 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Apr 18, 2014.

1. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    What/When
    • Toronto FC will return to BMO Field to take on the Vancouver Whitecaps FC in the first leg of an Amway Canadian Championship semifinal on Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 7:30 pm EDT.
    TV/Video
    Radio/Audio
    Supporters Group Match Thread Links

2. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Given the number of injuries and the fact that tfc needs to make the playoffs this year, I have to think they're going to treat this as a reserve game.

3. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's more pressure on Vancouver to win this than anyone else in the tourney. I think that pressure will lead them to playing more starters than anyone else and maybe it'll mean they bring Laba with them. Let's not forget that for the Southsiders, there's still a "new car smell" when it comes to playing four extra games in the summer.

4. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    game is still 19 days away...no?

5. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That doesn't change anything. Even if the team is fully healthy 19 days from now, tfc management is well aware that missing the mls playoffs is not an option this year. They have far too much invested in the team and this season is their one shot to win back the fans they have lost over the years. I'm not saying they're going to intentionally throw these ccl games, but they will be treating them as a much lower priority.

6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would also go so far as to say that they could be very competitive in the ACC even with a toned down squad. Not that Vancouver and Montreal will be easy to play, they won't, it's just that we actually have some quality depth.

7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    game is still 19 days away...no?
    Maybe but you have now changed from "treat as a reserve match" to "treat as a much lower priority" I think those are two different things.

8. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree. Our B team is probably as good as our A team from least year which was still pretty competitive in this tournament. Plus, I think Montreal won't be taking it that seriously either.

9. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't see the difference

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'd prefer to see TFC take the tournament very seriously.

First, it is our national tournament. Let's show some respect.

Second, TFC have the talent to win. In fact, they have the talent to win the Canadian Championship and go on to do well in the CCL.

Third, this team needs time to gel. In my opinion, this whole season is about gelling for TFC. I expect that they will make the playoffs (even if only lower down in the playoff rankings) but the point is to set things up for next year. That is when we're finally going to start the year with an entire team in place. Perhaps a couple of roster improvements but not the sort of whole sale changes we've seen literally every season until now. So I say play for keeps in all our competitions this year and don't worry so much about the standings because they will come.

And as for this year's Canadian Championship: I don't want to be cocky but Montreal is having a horrible time of things. Vancouver is the biggest opponent in the tournament this year. If we get by them we probably have the depth to ease up a bit when playing Montreal and still win.

So let's go all out and head into Vancouver up by at least two goals.

11. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Tfc fans have already had 7 years of setting things up for next year. That is why this year has to finally be that year.

12. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Depends what you mean by "that year". This year will be the first good year for TFC in the standings. By which I mean a plus 0.500 record and a playoff berth.

Next year should be the first year where TFC not only plays in the top half of the standings but contents for the title. That's because this year the team will gel. Next year we will see largely the same winning squad returning with a few roster tweaks to make it even better. For the first time in franchise history, the players will actually know each others' names and how each other play when they start training camp. Camp will be about improving, not introductions.

So this year will be "that year" but next year will be even more "that year".

So what I'm saying is let's play as hard as we can in the Canadian Championship because, even if it costs us a little in the MLS standings, its going to be the difference between 6th and 7th, not what causes us to miss out on the Supporters' Shield or the MLS Cup.

13. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Your argument is based on the assumption that tfc will qualify for the playoffs for sure in 2014. Based on recent form without their key starters, this is not a guarantee. Until they have qualified, league play has to take a higher priority in 2014. Failure to make the playoffs in 2014 will drive away fans regardless of how well tfc does in this tournament and regardless of how solid the team looks for 2015.

14. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm assuming they will, yes, but I'm assuming it will be somewhere in the 6-10 spot.

I don't think playing hard in the Canadian Championship will jeopardize that.

While I agree that making the playoffs is better than not making the playoffs from the perspective of the fans, I don't know that finishing 7th and going out in the first round will make a huge difference in attracting the casual fan in 2015.

15. scarborotfcfan

May 26, 2008
    They've played the least number of games in the league. They don't play on the weekend after the Vancouver game and will have a full week to rest for the following game. Some players will be just returning from injuries and will be even more well-rested and need the game action. I see no reason to rest anyone other than maybe De Rosario because of age, he shouldn't play 180 minutes in a span of four or five days. Everybody else should be fine. If they can build up an early lead at home, maybe see if you can rest a couple of guys on the away leg. If they had to play the weekend between the two games vs Vancouver, I can understand the need to rest players but given the schedule, they should field their best.

With the money invested, it shouldn't be either the playoffs or CCL, they should be able to do well in both. I'd agree with allowing some younger players like Bekker more time and not having the older players play the full 90 but that's not the same as fielding a reserve squad, just a matter of managing minutes to most effectively win all games.

Polygong repped this.
  16. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    given what fatigue injury did to Bradley, I'd be more careful with managing game mins of key players

17. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not getting this logic. We should work those players just coming off an injury harder because they've had plenty of time to rest?

18. punintended

punintended Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    If we don't start our best possible line up for this one I will be very upset.

19. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Generally I agree with that, with the exception that anyone who could play but it is at risk for injury should sit out.

20. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  21. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Unlike Toronto, Vancouver has a league match this weekend. Other than existing injuries.....there is no reason for TFC to sit anyone tomorrow.

22. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If Vancouver is playing a lower level squad, I can see TFC not starting their full top 11, but still putting out a squad that is convincingly better. It's still worth getting some depth players some pitch time, especially Bendik.

23. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Word is that tfc will be playing their starters.

24. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That being said, osorio is doubtful, and it's not clear yet when bradley will report to the usmnt camp.

25. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Another advantage for TFC in playing their starters is a chance to try to get the team clicking again. With a weekend off, I can't see why they wouldn't.