Where do you keep your cards?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by CitationSquirrel, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    A useful reminder, thanks. I've gotten lazy about carrying an extra whistle (not connected to the other two). I will go back to doing that.

If you keep an extra set of cards in your data wallet you'll always know where to go for the backups when one goes missing.

2. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    That was one of the reason I went with having my whistle "free" and not on a lanyard. I tend to toss the whistle back and forth between my hands, so I can use either hand when needed. But, now that I think of it, I pretty much always display my card with my right hand, so I probably wouldn't adjust to having cards in my left pocket.

The other reason I liked having my whistle free to change hands was I never had to indicate direction with either my hand cupped, holding the whistle, or with a whistle dangling from my wrist.

3. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    I've only had my whistle fall out of my hands twice, but I'm like you and keep a spare (back left pocket or tied to my shorts drawstring).

The spectacular fail was when a player bumped me on a D1 match. Nothing like trying to find a whistle on dark green grass at night. Thankfully I kicked the whistle as it fell, so I could find it quick (it was during a stoppage). I was prepared to go to the backup, though.

4. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    I am getting a bad image of what happens when you drop the first, and have to blow the second real quick.

I keep my spare whistle in my left front pocket, but I hate that it rattles when I run.

IASocFan repped this.
  5. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    They have these things called lanyards:sneaky::sneaky:.

6. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I used to use a lanyard, but found the following happening to me one game.

Ball out for CK on the AR side. Me writing a caution down (AR somehow didn't stop the CK, but that's another point), ball is kicked, I hear it, look up and see it, the inevitable scramble starts and I am standing there with my pen in one hand, book in the other and whistle swinging in the breeze hanging from my left hand. By the time I did the required juggling to get the whistle to my mouth, bad things were happening in the PA. Now while recording, it's in my mouth, should this happen again, it's a quick "tweet" and everyone stops.

Somehow I think this is one of those things that no matter what you do, there's a scenario where you are just plain old screwed o_O

I have noticed EPL refs lately all seem to have it on a lanyard hanging from the wrist.

7. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I hate to be too much of a fanboy, but if you have $60 burning a hole in your pocket, the valkeen whistle finger grip is the perfect way of holding a whistle that addresses pretty much every whistle holding issue mentioned.

You can change hands easily. Can let go of it and leave it in your mouth easily. Open your hand to signal and the whistle falls into your palm. Need to write or grab a card? Let whistle fall and your first two fingers and thumb are free. Flip the whistle up and close your hand and the whistle is oriented correctly to blow every time. Compatible with gloves. I've not been hit in the hand, but I've never had any inkling that I could drop it. It's there when you need it and out of the way when necessary.

SouthernYank repped this.
  8. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    So many funny things I want to say...

It's really not as ideal as the back pocket, but it makes it pretty secure. As far as the back pocket goes, I hate the rattling, as you do, which is why my "spare" is just a Fox 40 all by itself.

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    And if you don't have 60 clams busily nibbling a hole through your pocket, I don't see much there that is not accomplished just as well with two whistles connected together using two or three split rings - plus you get the benefit of having two whistles ready to hand. (I decided the Sonik Blast really is too loud for most circumstances, but there are fairly frequent occasions when I'm glad to have it and put it to good use. Not to mention that one of them can be bright yellow so it's easy to find when you drop it...)

IARef96 repped this.
  10. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    For those that want to save some $$$, try comparing a Valkeen with the Dolphin. You'll find a very, very similar sound and design, save the cool finger holds.

11. IARef96

IARef96 Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Clive, IA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have two Fox 40s (one red, one white) attached to each other. I must deal with them subconsciously when writing in the book, as I don't recall ever thinking about what to do with them after a goal or during a booking.

12. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always either just let them sit between the fingers on my right hand as it holds the book (I'm left-handed), or at times I'll drop my whistle in my front right pocket -- never have trouble getting it out since the only other thing there is my yellow card

13. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to use a hockey-style finger whistle, but I had a hard time when I wanted to write anything down since I had to take it off when I wanted to write.

14. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Before I had my Valkeen I would often use the fox 40 finger whistle, and as a spare i had another fox 40 and tornado ringed together in my back pocket. For both finger whistles and the valkeen holder, it's honestly not that hard to quickly move your whistle from one hand to the other, unless you have gloves on. The lack of mobility is why I never wear gloves in the middle.

15. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm the same, but then I have a new problem: I can't grip a pencil/pen with a frozen hand. My book ends up with gigantic scribbles because it's all I can manage with numb hands.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  16. MarinFCsoccer

MarinFCsoccer Member

May 16, 2008
    Novato
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm...I keep my yellow "quick-draw" card in my left shorts pocket. My right pocket always has a handkerchief and, before I learned, I've pulled my handkerchief out AND the card with it.

Red card in back right shorts pocket. Spares in my book with the game card in top left shirt pocket.

17. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    #67 Chas (Psyatika), Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Whistles go in my right front at half-time. When I'm writing I tend to put it in my mouth, but I'm trying to break the habit. I feel like just wedging them between my pinky and ring finger on my non-writing hand would work just fine, if I can develop the habit.

Like many on here, I use two whistles connected to each other with a key ring. Got a 10 pack of key rings for 53 cents (free shipping) on Amazon!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018S1P48

18. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    To each his own.

19. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Handkerchief solves the rattling .... For those hung up on a lanyard or finger grip, give holding the whistles in your hand a try. When I heard about it, I thought it was the dumbest thing I ever heard, but after seeing a couple FIFAs do it, I figured I'd give it a try, and I haven't looked back once. I liked getting rid of the dangling whistle on signals. Mine are connected by a ring - so it easily slips onto a finger when I need to write. I haven't dropped them yet - but I still always carry a spare pair.

20. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Do you carry another full set (two whistles connected by key ring) or just a single solitary whistle? Right now my main whistles are Fox 40 Classic and a Fox 40 Pearl connected by a key ring and my backup is a single Fox 40 classic in my left front shorts pocket (along with quick-draw red card). I figured that having two whistles as a backup would lead to too much jingling and bouncing around in the pocket when running.

21. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Why have a backup if you already have two on the ring?

22. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    If I happen to drop the whistles on the ring for whatever reason, I have a backup to grab. I had this happen on a freezing cold day when I didn't have enough dexterity with my hand when switching the whistles between hands. I dropped them and had to grab the spare out of my pocket while sprinting following play.

23. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I carry two whistles connected by a key ring in my pocket, same setup as the two in my hand, all Sonik Blasts in various colors. Yes, they sometimes jingle in my pocket. No, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. More often than not, the card or the data pad will hold the whistle in place so it doesn't jingle. It helps to put the whistles in your pocket first, then whatever else on top of it.

I used to carry different types of whistles in order to have different pitches. I've found that, in practice, it makes very little difference, so I've just stuck with the Sonik Blasts because 1) they're comfortable, 2) they're cheap, and 3) I can color-coordinate :p

24. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Because they're connected to each other? It's not like you can drop one in the mud, and keep the other one clean :p

25. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Gotcha. I have two on a ring as well but have never dropped them since I switched from holding just one (which got knocked out of my hand ALL the time). I keep my third whistle in my bag.