Scouting Report Portugal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by m vann, Dec 6, 2013.

1. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    So you admit you are ignorant of our team, yet you come in here to talk crap about it?

Then again, you can't even get basic facts right about your own best player:

So why am I not surprised? In any case, I'm not interested in educating you about our team. Like I said, you'll find out about them soon enough.

2. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thank you then. Wish your team luck in the WC.

3. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Howard is a very good keeper I respect him and rate him highly. Funny how you left of jozy and did not speak on him. My input is simple because this isn't a fair matchup. I would rather chime in with analysis on a fairer match like Ghana vs USA.

4. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    • Poster has been warned for trolling and banned from the forum
    2006 WC at the age of 21 with much more experienced golden generation of players Ronaldo was great. He preformed stellar at euro 2012 and the euros are a higher level of play and then a WC. Do you even watch la liga, his stay at Man U or CL? If you do you would see how great Ronaldo is. I know USMNT fans don't watch much soccer other then every 4 years during the WC and your low level conference games the "Hex" but watch some top flight soccer you might learn something.

5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to take this trolling. Good bait mate, I rate 8/8. You had me going there for a second, thinking you were a serious poster. You got me good!

[​IMG]

6. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ronaldo scored 3 times! Iran, England ( game winning PK in th QF) and North Korea. Learn your facts.

7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penalty shootouts don't count. Not my rule, but them's the breaks.

8. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's a goal at the WC a decisive won at that. To even question Ronaldo talent, skill or accomplishments as a soccer fan is amazing.

9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

10. portugal_9

portugal_9 Member

May 3, 2005
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Since this is a scouting thread on Portugal, the only problem I see with Portugal is the lack of a true world class Striker, outside of that the USMNT will have its hands full all around. However, in soccer no team should ever be viewed as minnows, the ball can roll either way.

11. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a condescending and stupid post.

12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't respond to the bait. It's a classic troll post

bungadiri repped this.
  13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yeah, really irritating to come here for updates and see that it's degenerated into a rivalries thread.

14. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Out of context, this frankly seems really racist.

I didn't think I had to make a "Portugal has friendly people, delicious food, and beautiful buildings and scenery" post in this thread -- because come on, it's Portugal, everybody already knows that, right? -- but maybe I do.

15. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Getting away from meatballery for a second:

I have a hard time believing that this game is going to be very open and high-paced. The weather alone should see to that. That is going to negate some of CR7's game; it's going to end up being very important to not concede set pieces in our defensive third.

I still think Moutinho is going to end up being the key in terms of shutting down their attack.

Marko72, paulalanr and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  16. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    EditorInChimp I don't always see eye to eye with you but that statement was very logical

17. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I get messaged from a mod about sopossedly trolling but this guy post racist videos ahhhhh the bias at bigsoccer is asinine

18. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were messaged for trolling in another forum. Which you were doing. That said, your performance in this one has been trending toward the rivalries end of the spectrum for some time and you need to dial it back or you'll lose access to the forum. If you plan to continue responding to people who disagree with you by commenting on how little they know about the game, then you will lose the opportunity to post here pretty quickly.

USA Posters:

I've already banned one "guest" who was certainly here to troll. If you spot others you think are trolling, please use the report post function. But please make sure they're trolling and not simply disagreeing with you. And don't fight fire with fire, since it only makes things worse. The video is certainly out of place and ill considered, at best, and it's been deleted.

Furthermore, this forum is for reasonable, good natured discussion. That necessarily entails respectful criticism of opposing views. We cannot simultaneously decry rivalries style posting by guests while tossing out rivalries chum that cannot help but provoke angry responses.

Everybody:

If you want to discuss, discuss.

If you want to woof, take it to World Rivalries.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Good heavens that's not 'racist' at all, it's Family Guy. Since when are the Portuguese a race? Besides, the accent is Brazilian, FWIW. Geez.

Actually, Portugal is fun to watch as a team. They have that Mediterranean style, with flair and pretty combinations. Shame they are in our group and chances are survival is between them and US. Or Ghana.

Toronto's "Little Portugal" was madness in 2006. And I was staying a couple of blocks from there. It was one of the noisiest celebrations I've seen by a community in N. America, when they beat England (a bit of rubbing it in the face of Canadians, too, who are -nearly all- rabid English fans).

However, they are a team that has weaknesses. Some of them mental. A nation with so much talent shouldn't be depending on play-offs to qualify for big events. I see them get flustered when things aren't working. Perhaps also a "Mediterranean" characteristic (and before anyone calls me racist, I'm half French-half Argentinian, so I know all about being passionate and letting emotions take over your head).

The Germans are not like that. Those guys always seem to keep their cool in matches. Even in the WC. Even if they only win by a goal, they seem to be in control all the way. Except against the Italians, that is. :)

20. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #370 bungadiri, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Given your posting history on the site, I never for a second thought it was racist. However, removed from the context of the show and placed into this context, it was problematic. The fact that we get supporters of our guys' WC opponents here to talk to us in these threads is a good thing, and we don't want to drive them off with some misplaced, easily misunderstood irony.

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  21. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CRonaldo is back in training for the match vs Bayern on Wednesday. Let's just hope for 180 minutes plus extra-time and pens for this tie. Just a leeetle too much for his hammy to take with a nice 8-10 week rest until the third game of the World Cup.

nancyb and bungadiri repped this.
  22. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really does come as no suprise--He has to start against Bayern, period. Portugal is not going to catch any breaks with CR7, he's going to be worked hard and he's not going to be 100% come the world cup.

23. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post.

CapeCodFutbol, chad, dwsmith1972 and 6 others repped this.
  24. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Translation into Plain English: 'You have been properly subservient, therefore I grant you the similitude of not total lack of respect".

You're a downright regular gent, Sr. Tigre

gunnerfan7 repped this.
  25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ol' CRon is back in the starting lineup today vs Bayern. Perfect.