Canaries in a coal mine - the other teams thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Romfordray, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Barca's arrogance getting to them in the end. GOOD. Fuhk em. Worst fans in NYC next to United fans, may they rot in hell lulz

2. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    neymar is in his first year playing in europe. much of this year he has not played with messi. it's hardly shocking that he hasn't yet lived up to his potential.

3. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gervinho had a staggering miss again today. Glad to see his form return.

4. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    so wild that Man U felt like they had 6 years to throw at a guy and Mourinho and Pep were seemingly available last year and Blanc and Capello and Del Bosque and Quieroz were all at national teams and Ferg chooses a guy with a reputation for doing pretty good

5. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Doesn't help that in Europe Defenders actually have some idea of how to defend. You know, being generally in position, not diving in, etc etc. It will be interesting seeing how he grows, he's talented so he will obviously do well, but personally I don't think he'll ever be Romessi level.

6. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neymar feels like Robinho II to me, not a big fan of his style translating to Europe.

7. tulorox17

tulorox17 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially when you consider that our "consolation prizes" were Koscielny and Mertesacker.

charlie15 repped this.
  8. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Actually Neymar is better than Robinho at his age. Neymar had more focus on scoring than Robinho too which is the what teams all look for.

9. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He made no attempt to play the ball but to block his shot - Jozy just stepped on his leg and was sliding with him. Azpilicueta could have done nothing to prevent that, it's as if giving a penalty when a player shoots the ball to the opponent's hand.

10. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

[​IMG]

Boogie_Down repped this.
  11. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Here's hoping they replace him with Van Gaal, then.

13. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LvG would make them a title contender again.

I hope these rumors are false and that Moyes is going to stay for the next 5 years.

14. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a fall for Moyes. You get a six year dream job deal, and within a year you're fired and seeing your old club have more success than you could ever give them. Now he'll have to go back to some midtable mediocrity club.

15. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    well, Spurs are looking for a new manager.

Seems to be the right club for him.

Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  16. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's the wrong decision by ManU. I mean when you think about it, they handed him perhaps the oldest most mediocre of the upper prem teams. Then they asked him to go win as many competitions as he could. Not many managers have a good season with the team that he was given. IMO, they should have at least given him one more year.

AEAAFC96 and Fifty repped this.
  17. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It was the same team that won the league last season. United have degressed ever since Moyes came, they went from a genuine title contender to a team that isn't going to play in Europe last season. Januzaj, Rooney, Rvp, Mata, Welbeck, De Gea, and to an extent Vidic, Kagawa and Rafael are all top 4 material-players.

It would be only wise to keep him if there has been any progression, but that hasn't happen. Maybe that Welbeck scored more goals this season compared to last season, and that Olympiakos could not succeed in beating them which made them qualify to the quarter-finals of the UCL, but that's it. Rvp has gone shite, Rooney has been terrible yet played almost every minute this season, his super-signing Fellaini is horrible, and the defense is too slow and gets beaten in counter-attacks quite easily. Woodward and he to an extent screwed up in the transfer summer and january transfer window, should have bought at least a CM or 2.

18. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United's failure wasn't hiring Moyes, it was giving him a 6 year deal.

Moyes' failure was thinking he didn't need to (or failing to) rebuild the squad right away; thinking (or hoping) that Fellaini was enough last summer and that Mata was enough in January. Most of their squad is washed up and they needed reinforcements this season. Lots of them.

If Moyes sticks around, the situation will get worse. If he is fired, the situation will still get worse before it can get better. Even if some of the top top managers being considered would agree to take on this challenge, some of the damage has already been done.

19. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I agree. I'm also sure that fabled 6 year contract had plenty of out clauses in it based on performance.

They never should have let SAF have the role he has though. They shouldn't have brought in Woodward at the same time. And they should have done a better search for a manager and ended up with someone with more experience that knows players and has global relationships.

Everton to united is a big step up and his big transfer dealing was signing Fellaini? To me, that shows he was out of his depth right there. You should be playing on a different level, not trying to raid you old team for mediocre talent. But he had no experience dealing with that type of crap. He was used to everton.

20. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He spent all summer publicly courting Cesc, ffs! It wasn't lack of effort in the transfer market, it was incompetence. The guy is completely clueless.

antifan repped this.
  21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think it was all down to Moyes: it was poor execution across the club. Frankly, Moyes shouldn't have been running transfers in any case. Transfers between top clubs are notoriously difficult to execute, and United planned their succession really poorly. The thing is, this botched transfer window really, really hurts United because of the sheer number of weaknesses they have to address:

1. They have to rebuild their defense. All of it. Vidic is leaving, Ferdinand and Evra look done, and Smalling, Jones, and Evans look like they aren't good enough for the top level. And Rafael is injury prone, and the less we say about Buttner, the better.

2. They need someone to sit next to Carrick, but they also have to plan on replacing Carrick soon.

3. Their wingers have looked awful: Nani hasn't been good, nor has Valenica, Ashley Young is terrible, and Zaha has failed to impress on loan.

4. Januzaj has looked good, and Mata is quite good, but they have to figure out who they're going to play. They can't possibly play RVP, Rooney, Mata, and Januzaj at the same time, because that team has no pace. United should have sold Rooney, but they probably couldn't find any takers. Otherwise, their options at forward are pretty decent, and they have good depth in Welbeck and Chicarito.

So, to sum up, United need to buy a left back, two center backs, two midfielders, and at least two wingers. That's not happening in one window. So they aren't going to be in the top four next season either.

22. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    There's an incredible amount of journo's right now reporting that Fabregas might leave Barca. I don't get how they'll be better off without him seeing as they can't replace him but if true, SIGN HIM UP. Bring the boy back home. Ramsey, Ozil and Fabregas would be the best trio in the World.

Mexchico3128 repped this.
  23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We need to make this happen, especially since:

1. We have a buyback.
    2. Barca still owe us money on the transfer.

However, since Barca's transfer ban precludes players from leaving as well, this is incredibly unrealistic (though I wonder how buyout/buyback clauses are affected). No way Barcelona let him leave if the transfer ban holds up though.

24. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that transfer ban will ever happen, but even if it does, it'll get delayed through this summer while appealed.

25. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    The biggest mistake was letting SAF appoint his successor. Furthermore, the bigger mistake was prior to leaving SAF having no discernible investment in a long term team building plan. It shows that his personality was so outsized it covered up cracks in a team that everyone who knows even an iota about football spotted years ago.

Winning and signing business deals took precedence over developing the football side of United IMHO. Even a genius will need time to mold a team. For instance if Mourinho had taken the job I don't think they'd necessarily win anything but they'd be top four and he would win next season or the season after.