Mad Men (Season 7, Part I - 2014) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The show's season debuts on Sunday, April 13th. :cool:

-G

Alberto repped this.
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And so it begins..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

.... April 13

Matrim55 repped this.
  4. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Crimen y Castigo, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cosgrove!

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]
    When we last saw Don (Jon Hamm), he'd reneged on a plan to relocate to his advertising agency's new branch in Los Angeles, where wife Megan (Jessica Pare) had hoped to take her acting career to the next level.(Photo: Frank Ockenfels 3, AMC)

-G

6. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Love mad men but where and how does this arc end. His secret live is now open to the world or his family what else can make this come full circle.

7. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don-o-Mite (nsfw)

[​IMG]

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I made it to "Kraft MOTHER********IN' Mayonaise! Keepin' it all together."

Because I had to run to the can to keep from wetting my pants.

9. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The year 1969 and the early 70s were not that flashy. That looks more like 1977 or 1978 fashion.

10. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A two part final season! Just when I had already lost most of my interest in the show?

Thanks!

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season premiere tonight. :thumbsup:

-G

12. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Exactly.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what were peoples thoughts?

We know it's January, 1969, the war in Vietnam is in full swing.

14. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opening the season on Freddy's face was kind of amazing -- and the reveal that Don was feeding him campaign work was fantastic. I was scratching my head, thinking "What the hell has he been doing all this time, since he was booted..?"

Also: That was Canter's Deli with Pete, and I believe it was the Dresden Room with Don, Megan and the over-the-top agent. Boy I miss LA.....

15. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loneliness and isolation. Inability to communicate. All kinds of foreboding "Sharon Tate" symbolism (again).

Don is in jail in the last scene. The prison is New York, and his life as "Don Draper, ad man." He needs/wants to be set free, but this may just be who he is.

The tempo and directorial choices were jarringly different than in previous seasons, which feeds into the "time Zones" title. It's a new era, and Don (and Roger!) isn't really a part of it.

Solid if unspectacular start to the season.

16. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got a massive paycheck coming in steadily despite being on leave, women propositioning him, a new coast beckoning -- and all he can say is "I've got to go to work."

And he does. Even if he has to use a front man to do it, he's still going to work.

Peggy's in the same boat -- depression-wise and work-junkie wise. She's the only one who "cares" at the office. And that caring seems to have stubbed the rest of her life our of existence.

17. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that flashy? It was the height of the flower power movement. Nehru jackets loud colors. Right through the early 1970's and polyester was making it's grand entrance. Tacky and bright clothing with wide lapels and elephant pants too.

18. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Happy Pete!! I love Happy Pete! So Cosgrove's eye hasn't healed. Guess he lost his eye? I thought it was a pretty solid start. The thing about Mad Men is that its a show best watched on a second viewing when you can clearly see a map and you can clearly see the "X" marked. I dont think ill be able to fully judge this episode until next year when I rewatch it for the real final season but it's promising and I'm looking forward to the next one.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty good season premiere. :)

However, it does show how much further out of touch with youth/pop culture Don is becoming (which pretty much happens to everyone as they get older) that he sincerely thought that Pete looked like a hippie in this episode (if anything, Pete kinda looked more like a 1980's preppy than a 1960's hippie). :eek:

-G

20. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took one thing away from the episode, but when I talked to my friend about it, he hadn't gotten it AT ALL.

Was it implied that Megan is ill in some way? I'm thinking of the scene when she and Don got home from meeting with the Hollywood guy-- Don leaned in to kiss her and Megan mentioned that she was feeling very weak and dizzy, then went straight to bed.

When I saw this scene, I concluded that Megan was suffering from some ailment, or maybe showing signs of MS, or something. But my friend just thought it was that she was drunk, and that the flame between her and Don is just going out.

Upon reflection, that latter interpretation is probably more likely. Anyone?

21. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with your friend.

I think she was using the alcohol as an excuse, as supported by her distinct discomfort with Don the next night.
    She's living a totally separate life in a totally separate world.

Alberto repped this.
  22. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This show has lost me. Too many storylines going on that are way too confusing. Too many characters to keep up with. Loved this show in the beginning, but I'm just about over it, I think.

23. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much better than the first episode. Not a coincidence that Megan wasn't in it and Sally was.

bigredfutbol and ImaPuppy repped this.
  24. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet another pretty good episode. :thumbsup:

Among other things, it was pretty nice to see Don enjoying something from his childhood (the episode of The Little Rascals on TV, though it was called Our Gang when he likely saw them as theatrical shorts during the Great Depression). :)

Also, this is the second consecutive episode both for a former 1990's TV star to play in a cameo role (Neve Campbell of Party of Five last week and David James Elliott of JAG this week) and for Bob Benson to still be prominently mentioned despite not appearing onscreen.

-G