Who Is The Greatest Dribbler Ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dearman, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Greatest Dribbler Ever

1. Garrincha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maradona

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. George Best

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ronaldo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Messi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Impossible to know

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bruford

Bruford Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Even if he remained healthy, Zidane would still appear to haunt him ;). Just kidding, you really overrate Ronaldo on this thread. And, like Leadleader said sometime ago, Ronaldo is one of the most watched players ever. Only Messi, CR7 and Ronaldinho have more Youtube vídeos available than him. So, do not worry, we all know how he plays and his best moments on the field. On the other hand, the generation of players who preceded him had few moments available on Youtube. So, it´s Baggio, Romário, Laudrup, etc vídeos that deserve to be more watched than they are now.

Pipiolo and leadleader repped this.
  2. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How many times has Ronaldo do the chip thing? 5 times in his entire career more or less?

Romario did that hundreds of times. No kidding. Watch Romario video on youtube showing 900+ career goals. The video is called Romario 1000 goals. And you can count hundreds of chips and sombreros.

Every good striker has done a sombrero. But Romario did it to the max under great pressure against big opponents.

So do not get us wrong when we say that Ronaldo didn't do this or that. Of course he did it. But he did it very little. While Romario exploited those types of goals randomly at will.

Let me invite you and I hope you will watch this 10 minute video which shows the beauty of Romario's game. it shows his intelligence and positioning. His touch and precision

10 minutes only. and come back to me and tell me what you think again. I will be looking forward to hearing your comment.

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ronaldo may have received a winner's medal for WC94, but this should not be a bragging point for his fanboys when he contributed zilch to the win. Do you think Guivarach is a greater player than Batistuta or Shevchenko since he won a WC medal too? :rolleyes:

One thing is performing in Serie A, another is performing in Champions League. Ronaldo could not ever win a CL medal, that's a fact and you have to learn to live with it dude.

PS: Maldini was the team captain and as such his job off the field was to help team solidarity. And he is a nice guy for saying that, but it does not make it true.

4. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    R9 was amazing in this video. I have seen this video many times. every time I watch this video it send shivers down my spine. Ronaldo was art with the ball at his feet. No question! i rep you for this video. i have seen a million times. And will continue to watch it cause it is pure art.

but watch this one of Romario .R9 is not the only one. Romario does the elastico vs Corinthians and then he scores with a dribble. He scores fro man acute angle. Let me know what you think. He scored a hat trick in the big match. The other goals was another magnificent goal of him from a difficult angle.

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #3255 JamesBH11, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Nice try: As usual Romario fan boy ...
    If you include UCL you have to include all games Ronaldo 47goals/49games barca > Romario 34goals/46games

Now where you got that 14goals/40games UCL for Ronaldo? WIKI?
    Do you really know howmany games he played as starter and fully fit?

So it seems you;re no betetr than those fans boy who claimed Ronaldo also "failed" at WC98 final? Sure A Romairo full fit was better than Ronaldo half fit, I already accepted that LOL

Yeah right ... your credits is reduced to half by now ....sorry Bruford (I used to rate you highly)

To be fair, ( and i know you knew this) Ronaldo at his BEST NEVER played at UCL , but cups winner and UEFA cup OK?.

6. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    You said " in his career scored a goal by using a "sombrero" skill?" emphasis on scoring a goal!
    so that's misleading!

So you would like to see a sombrero now?

And had you seen R9 in his prime then you would have noticed how he terrorized Serie A defenders!

7. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problem is that every staff member took a medal home. The physiotherapist, the cook, the masseuse, the coaches/managers, the advisors and every single member of the NT went up the stairs to collect their medal. it happens in every championship mate. Every body on the list gets a medal for participating in one way or another. So technically they are all WC champions.

That's why you got to be careful when giving credits to freely players who have sat on the bench for an entire tournament.

You see now what we mean with R9 didn't win two but one? Does he really deserve a free ticket?

he didn't sweat for it mate!

Pipiolo repped this.
  8. Bruford

Bruford Member

Sep 23, 2012
    1- Ronaldo has better full numbers on his Barcelona season. However, I do not think its fair to use them because he played and scored many goals in Copa del rey,while Romário did not play this tournament in 93/94, which its regarded as lower than La liga. At Copa del rey, Ronaldo scored 6 goals in 4 games. Romário played UCL 93/94, where he had a low record (10 games/2 goals).

2- I used transfermarkt to find Ronaldo record on UCL. His injuries had a big impact on his UCL 98/99. He played 72 minutes against Real Madrid, 73 minutes against Spartak, 67 against Spartak, 90 against Real Madrid, 61 against Sturm Graz and 59 minutes against Manchester United. On the other seasons, he played 90 minutes in mostly of the games.
    PS: He scored 2 goals in 2 games for UCL qualifiers in 04/05 season, but these goals are not counted as UCL goals.
    http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/ronaldo/leistungsdaten/spieler_3140_1998.html#CL

9. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    now you're making some progress.
    R9 won two league titles…and two not one WC!
    A young fit RONALDO? he had played 10 games for Inter or so…
    there were no guarantees with his fitness!
    NOBODY knew whether his knees were going to crumble again or not!
    over the hill romario in 2002? how hypocritical!

the same romario that scored 26 goals in in 25 games for vasco
    and scored 16 goals in 26 games for flu?
    he also won the golden boot placar in 2002 didn't he?

and you were the one who said "Romario only needed one shot to win a WC" but totally disregarded his 1990 WC performance…

10. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I see where you are coming from now.

Maldini may have indeed said such thing. i hope he wasn't drunk though. Just kidding.

Having said that, even though that he may have had a moral support on the team from the fence line, he still didn't participate directly in winning it. The same could be said of Romario who was top scorer of WC02 qualifiers campaign along with Rivaldo. Romario was the top scorer of WC02 qualifiers but he was left out last minute by Scolari. Can we say that his contributions in that qualifying campaign might have helped the NT in WC02 to win it? Maybe, maybe not. Now we could find anyone going public and say "but Romario's contribution for helping us to qualify to WC02 should also be granted a recognition" But does that make a valid point and does that make him WC02 champion for his moral support? No! So Ronaldo did not win a Champions league even if he was left out by regulations. Stay put for there's no reason to grant R9 more then he already has achieved for his record is impressive enough and doesn't require more then he sweat for.

11. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    He travelled!
    He trained with the team and I bet he gave Romario some scoring tips during those pick-up games as well!

Passarella is a two-time WC winner!
    Baresi is a WC winner!
    DIDA is a WC winner!
    Had R9 played 5 mins (or so) like Kaka did in 2002…would it really matter?

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    let me ask do you reallt and TRUELY know howmany goals and games Roanldo palyed at Copa delrey?

MOst of his games at INTER season 98-99 (his first ever UCL experience) coincided well with his injuries prone there OK? I can give you a hint at least a DOZEN games he played as a sub in 70mins ...

I do not rely on any thing I WATCHED them play both R9 and R11 OK?

========================================

However to be fair, even we counted all games UCL where R9 played 90mins at UCL (regardless his fitness) his GPG was barely 0.5 = agree still below his standard.

13. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I do not know what your talking about here.

hypocritical in what sense?

R9 did not win two league titles for he didn't stay in 2007! If you search for R9 titles it always shows one single league title 2003! not two. Sorry but it's you against official records here. Do not blame me it's official on Wikipedia.

Second, "over the hill Romario"? I do not know why you said that. i never stated Romario to be over the hill.

third,
    {the same romario that scored 26 goals in in 25 games for vasco
    and scored 16 goals in 26 games for flu?
    he also won the golden boot placar in 2002 didn't he?}

Ok, he got those gpg's and that Placar golden boot but what are you trying to tell me here. I am lost. Perhaps you got me confused with someone else here.

14. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Honestly, I don't think I do him justice!
    But I agree with your last sentence!

15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Now it might be so long to remember (or no clear record) but let's take a real example of UCL2003 with ReaL.

Many would say R9 : 6goals/9games UCL is not that great (for that season) but they might (forget) or misinfo that R9 was injured in between: group to 16, QF, and SF ... at least 3 times he was injured and returned to play games ... there OK - just 10years back, let along 1999-2000

16. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Raul was also a sombrero master…
    Messi has pulled off some nice sombreros as well…
    What's your point?
    R9 used to take on 5 defenders plus the keeper and walk towards the goal line…
    I've seen him score with his chest and rear-end!

I've seen a lot of Romario. My favorite Romario goal was the one against Mexico, you know which one ;)
    Absolute brilliance!

But R9 broke from tradition. He added flair, superb speed, and sublime dribbling skills!
    Ronaldo is arguably one of the top 5-10 greatest dribblers of all-time!
    the same cannot be said of Romario!

17. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    you claimed Romario was done by 2002 which he clearly was not.
    you said r9 was in his prime when he had already gone through 3 knee surgeries!

that's being hypocritical in my book!
    Also, did you know that some stuff you read in wikipedia can be altered?

http://www.realmadrid.com/en/about-...onaldo-luis-nazario-de-lima?pid=1384791177940
    RM official website

HONOURS
    2 La Liga
    1 Intercontinental Cup
    1 Spanish Super Cup

thank you very much, I'll be here all week!

18. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    And also he didn't start against Juve in the return leg. BUT once he entered the game he was taken down inside the box but FIGO took the PK and missed :(

19. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Serie A was the toughest league to play in!
    and are you seriously comparing Guivarach to batistuta and sheva?
    R9 had to earn his place in the 94 team!

well his stats and performance back it up as well. So i guess you're a mind reader now. So I guess Maldini was lying through his teeth!

20. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How did Ronaldo give Romario scoring tips if Ronaldo himself went on TV stating that much he knows he learned from Romario?

Yes, passarella and DIDA and many more and the cook and physiotherapist also are WC winners! but the problem is we are not using DIDA to compare with a true WC winner who sweat his ass and was responsible for winning the trophie for his country. You are mixing things up and taking things out of context.

Ronaldo was in NT94, Yes! Ronaldo went upstairs in the final to colect his medal, Yes! But to use that vs Romario and claim that he won one more WC then Romario is unfair and out of proportion! Can't you see?

On paper it says he was there and took a medal. But when comparing Romario to Ronaldo we shouldn't use Ronaldo's WC94 medal i nthis debate since we all know who didn't sweat for it! He didn't take any responsibility on the pitch. Viola was called in to substitute in the last few minute in the final WC94. he made a great dribble past defenders and passed the ball to Romario only to kick it in the hands of the goalie. Viola made real physical contributions to NT94 in the final match. He was better then Ronaldo in WC94 for he had played time, R9 not. But no body even mentions Viola for what he did. So what makes you think that R9 should be given credit for what other players have done instead. It wasn't R9 fault he wasn't selected to play. I know that. But let's be fair and stop pushing it and push in it and pushing it to make R9 look stronger then what he already was.

You stated if R9 played 5 minutes like Kaka would it really matter? The thing is you are using self defeating arguments here. Kaka set foot on the pitch and by definition and from a moral point we must give him recognition as a veteran of the game. R9 didn't not play not even one minute so why must we grant him the same? You guys look at the world with a very skewed rationale. It is simply unethical to give R9 credit for winning WC94.

On paper, yes! but in a debate No!

leadleader repped this.
  21. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    So you don't think two top players cannot exchange ideas or tricks?
    Pele didn't do much sweating in his 62 WC triumph now did he? But everyone still claims he won 3 WCs.
    Ronaldo made the team and that's impressive enough!

R9 made the WC winning squad in 94 age 17
    R9 won the WC golden ball despite losing in the FINAL at age 21
    R9 won his second WC, golden shoe, and should have won the golden ball but the votes took place BEFORE the FINAL game go figure at age 25…

Romario??? Exactly he went missing for nearly 2-3 years…
    before 94! BAGGIO outperformed Romario in the 94 WC but the golden ball was handed to ROMARIO (WC winner) and rightfully so…

truth be told…I feel that the RORO combo is the best this cosmos has seen since Pele and Garrincha!
    I really wanted them to play together in the 98 WC :(

Had he played 5 mins like Kaka' then you'll say he only played in garbage time. He didn't score any goals. So take off your skirt!

22. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Romari also took three defenders and goalie and score. Whats the point?

Romario also scored with the chest while playing for PSV and Fluminense. What's the point?

Romario scored a bycicle kick goal when playing for Fluminense. What's the point?

yes that long shot from PK line was fantastic. But to me the nicer ones were the ones he scored against real Madrid and Atletico Madrid and Manchester United (between keepers legs).

Every striker has his specialties. That doesn't make one better than the other. Ronaldo was a great dribbler. Romario was a great touch! Not the same can be said of Ronaldo. Do you see. It is silly to even keep on Ronaldo did this and that. I can always come back to you and say but Romario did that. We end up in a merry go round in circles.

have Ronaldo scored a bycicle kick ever? Has Ronaldo done the "cola de vaca" and then score? So you see, Ronaldo was great and had flair for R9 fans. While Romario had flair and was great for Romario fans. It;s all subjective and neither necessarily has to be the ultimate winner here. Do you want to continue with this or do you agree to disagree?

By the way have you watch the video i posted to you Romario vs Sociedad? i am still waiting on a review of you.

23. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I never said that Romario was done by 2002. I said that Romario was left out of NT02 squad by Scolari. You read my post wrong or you confused my writings with someone else. Never said that!

I never said that R9 was in his prime when he went trhough knee injuries either. Mate where did you read this? Are you sure your quoting my post? Cause i don't remember saying these things. Go back and check where you got this from cause they ain't me.

So check your reading before calling me hypocritical cause those line above aren't mine. Again you got me confused with someone else.

24. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Maldini didn't lie through no teeth but ou guys interpret Maldini wrong!

Can you post what Maldini said on here so that we can read the article for ourselves?

Thanks!

25. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I've seen R9 score a tijera with RM!
    I never saw Romario score with his rear end though…
    And I never never - ever saw Romario score in a WC Final!

Check out what Nesta had to say about R9:

You talked about Pirlo’s talent. Who is the best player that you have ever played with?

“There has been many: Veron, Mancini, Sheva, Kakà… Pirlo is in the top 3. Ronaldo was definitely the best player.”

http://dailymilan.com/alessandro-nesta-interview-with-gazetta-dello-sport/

Another interview

Who is the best forward you’ve faced in your career?

Nesta: For sure Brazilian Ronaldo: a true prodigy and the best of them all.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/2014/a...world-cup-2014-chances-and-ac-milan-transfer/

and why am I bringing this up!
    Because if there's anyone who can rival R9 is Messi!
    But MESSI got owned by a 35 year old Nesta. Messi has been blessed to face piss poor competition, no true great defender left! ROMARIO doesn't belong in this conversation. Yes, perhaps Romario never faced Nesta…he did face Cannavaro though and of course MALDINI. And Maldini claims: Ronaldo my toughest opponent along with Maradona.

speaking of cannavaro:
    You have played alongside a lot of world class defenders both in club football and international football – who was your best defensive partner? Also who is the toughest opponent you have played against – any particular striker or attacker who gave you a hard time defending?

It is not easy to rank them so I’d say Ferrara, Thuram, Costacurta, Maldini. The most difficult to mark is Ronaldo (the Brazilian of course!)

http://www.thehardtackle.com/2013/cannavaro-on-the-talking-game-exclusive-interview/

Thuram describes him as a “true genius”…I can go on and on!

But here we have MALDINI, Nesta, and Cannavaro and also a certain BUFFON claims the following:

Buffon has compared a former and a current Barcelona striker, and the Italian votes for the former.

Legendary Brazilian striker Ronaldo is better than Barcelona hitman Zlatan Ibrahimovic, according to Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon.

Buffon, who was asked to name the best player he had ever faced during his career, chose Ronaldo over his former Juve team-mate.

The former Parma shot-stopper believes that Ronaldo could have become the greatest of all time, and hailed the career of the Corinthians hitman.

"Ibrahimovic? Bah, Ronaldo has won two World Cups and he was top scorer during three World Cups," Buffon told GQ magazine.

"Ronaldo used to win games by himself, both hard and easy fixtures. The real Ronaldo has always been a champion for me.

"He will always be remembered among the greatest, but he could have been better than anyone, including Pele and Maradona."

Buffon is currently preparing to play against Chievo Verona on Sunday night.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/86/i...uffon-real-ronaldo-is-better-than-ibrahimovic

why bring up Buffon?
    Again, simply because ROMARIO doesn't belong in this conversation…
    Messi does…

Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, and Messi are the best of all-time in that order!