Game #7:FIRE vs. Patriots 4/19 3:00pm (NBCSN)

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by firefan2001, Apr 13, 2014.

1. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We have been? A couple of cameos for Pineda and 1-2 games (IIRC) of big minutes for Joya isn't exactly "playing them" in my book.

I readily admit that a good portion of my complaint is borne of frustration with how the team is playing. Yallop shouldn't throw in the towel. But as soon as we're toast, it's time to play the kids and see what we have.

And the notion that "we've seen what they have" is nonsense.

harrylee773 repped this.
  2. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Cubs get Bill fvckin' Murray. We got Jim Belushi.
    The look on the groundhog comes from his seeing our upcoming schedule.

xtomx repped this.
  3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not quite.
    If we play ever so slightly better, we'll win games.
    As I said last night, we are two late penalty saves away from a tie for first place.
    But we aren't, we towards the bottom, because we have to play better.

4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Pineda has been with the team for FIVE years. If he had anything, we should have seen it by now.

snkscore and bunge repped this.
  5. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Pineda as an 17/18 yo wasn't going to be playing for the first team. That was more of a publicity/long term development signing. Then he had a major injury. Set him back at least a year, probably more. I have no idea if the kid (he's 21, I believe) can become a bona fide MLS starter. But it's getting close to time to find out.

harrylee773 repped this.
  6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why? Mapp played at 16.
    Convey played at 16.
    Adu played at 14.
    Etc. Etc.

7. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    14 going on 18, lol.

So, just because some super young kids (rare exceptions) have done it, everyone should? C'mon.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So 3rd in the east, that is still pretty good.

But I also believe we lead the East in total goals allowed, not sure about our ranking in goals allowed per game.

9. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    At the very least, did the two-dollar dogs promotion go better than before?

10. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We are tied for 2nd in the east for goals allowed. Tied for 4th in the league for goals allowed.

11. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So there's plenty of room for improvement. This belongs in the optimism thread.

12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Pineda?
    Three words: Five f'n years.

13. Phil J M

Phil J M Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well they never ran out. I got one during half time of the Red Stars game.

xtomx, bunge and LocoGueroFutobolista repped this.
  14. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, see, at least that part is showing marked improvement. I was buying beers for folks during that promotion, and the only problem that I encountered was the vendor's initial inability to accept plastic because of the cold weather (solution: nearby ATM), and finding folks to give the beers to. I know, I know, that shouldn't have been hard, right? So kudos to all those involved. Keep up the good work! :)

15. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They did post signs stating a limit of 5 per person.

LocoGueroFutobolista repped this.
  16. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, in all honesty, I thought that that might be too many. Glad to hear that it worked out well.

17. wbo5elguapo

wbo5elguapo Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We looked really good in the 1st half. Section 8 sounded full of energy....then it all came a lull when a PK was called against Nyarko. From then on we went back to our "Looking at the sun" game plan.

Section 8 was disorganized as much as the team on the field. That PK Anangono took was the worst PK I ever saw taken by someone wearing our badge....and that's that alot. I swear it felt like it going on slow motion.

I had a lump in my throat like I just received a phone call that my grandmother had died.

I mean we really aren't so bad...we really aren't so good...we're just okay...

and that's okay...for now.

18. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Fun fact: Bill Murray has attended more Fire matches than Jim Belushi.

But yeah yer point stands.

LocoGueroFutobolista repped this.
  19. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pineda should have used the Fire academy to go to college with. You know, what Shipp did.

20. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Bill fvckin' Murray a Fire fan? That makes my day.

21. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #Ignoreiron81

And he will go away

rooked repped this.
  22. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Well, Sal and others told us that Klopas "had to" play useless and/or underperforming vets, in order to "make the playoffs."

In any case, Mapp sucked a horse's ass for a dozen years before the ADD meds kicked in; he's only NOW become a usable piece at age 29-going-on-30. Adu and Convey suck out loud at soccer; the latter only had anything of a career because Arena did everything but fellate him.

That said, with the team sucking at soccer for years and years, Klopas and others should have found out what Pineda and Bone were as players long before 2014. Now that the 2014 team is [predictably] slowly starting their now-annual rotation down the toilet bowl, I see no reason why every youngster shouldn't get a shit-ton of minutes this season. Because absent a dramatic turnaround that I do not see coming with the current roster, this team ain't making the playoffs this year.

I don't give a shit what the FAILED former coaching staff thought of Pineda or other youngsters before 2014. I only care about which youngsters Yallop hopes to meld with whatever aging californians he likes to build a winner going forward. And, IMHO, we know little-to-nothing about many of these younger players.

23. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Pineda might one day turn into a very quality MLS player, but we don't need put him on the field in league games for large number of minutes to know that right now he's not very good by MLS standards. He'll get more sub minutes here and there, and if he keeps being completely absent from the game while on the field he won't get much more time. He'll always have the opportunity to impress in reserve games, which from the very small number I've seen, I very much doubt he is. BUT, as you said he's only 21 and there is definitely time to develop. He just doesn't need to be on the field costing us points for the development.

24. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Especially when we have older, developed players who are already doing a fine job of that.

bunge, xtomx and Chris M. repped this.