Who Is The Greatest Dribbler Ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dearman, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Greatest Dribbler Ever

1. Garrincha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maradona

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. George Best

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ronaldo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Messi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Impossible to know

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    that's so cheap ...

at least we are not shamefully "repping " each other for some nonesense (multiple of times! like you and others)

but thanks for remind , let me give "REP" to him LOL

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    This is just 2012, Romario still held his pride high to comment on Messi, and CR7. However, at least he finally accepted the TRUTH Pele, Maradona were above him

Romario on Messi, Racing gun trouble
    April 21, 2012
    In an interview with Rio de Janeiro daily O Dia, Romario said he was "by far" better than Messi and said he can be compared to the best players of all time, along with Pele and Maradona.

"Messi is a good player, but I'm in the top three: It's me, Pele and Maradona. I would include (Zinedine) Zidane in that list, too," he said.

========================================

the sad fact that no one rated him that high but himself! Ouff ... plus ONE = greateststriker in BS LOL

3. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Go rep him quick as possible cause the poor guy has a record of one single rep since he joined in 2002.

And to you James I must say that the word "cheap" you used above is not worthy of being used by you since those posters of yours are cheaper then the products they sell on a Chinese black market in some primitive third world country.

You still have to present a good argument for why you think Ronaldo is better then Romario or Baggio or Rivaldo or any other player of his class. All you have presented so far are colourful posters and some long contradicting lists of rankings. A interview by some player or trainer won't settle nor proof anything. We can go on all night presenting these without reaching a consensus here. You'll show Maldini saying nice things about R9, and I will show Baggio saying nice things about Romario. You'll show Capello saying nice things about R9, and then I'll show Cruyff saying nice things about Romario. And the game will go on and on forever. No lists from Placar, no interview by a reporter, no silly poster can be used as proof of what we both claim to be what we believe in. These things are not evidence but simply views of others! What about real argument a la @leadleader style were every one can read and get some information. What about quality constructive arguments instead the same old shit we all have seen a million times before. What about discussing good and bad things of both Ronaldo and Romario instead of waving fanboyistically colourful flags. All these things you have and keep on presenting here are not news to many of us. Don;t you think I have not seen Ronaldo and the whole culture surrounding him? Or do you think that i just met him until now when I joined bigsoccer? I have seen much of him as much as you have mate. Think out of the box for once. Stop being biased. You don't know me so on what premises do you judge my knowledge of Ronaldo or Romario and claim to be the only one here who knows shit.

And if you really care read this next paragraph.

Have you even considered for once revising your inconsistencies for the last year or so? Let me shed some light on the latter. You repeatedly insisted that Romario failed in final big matches while you ignore clearly Copa America 89 final and Summer Olympics 88 final. You insist that Ronaldo was a better player in final matches while he failed big time in WC98 final match and you never include that in your argument. It must count for something right. Include Ronaldo's big WC98 final blunder and you will see how it tips the balance and change the way his record looks. You keep bragging about Ronaldo's 19-21 age achievements while comparing him to an older Romario. How fair a comparison can it be between a young prime Ronaldo vs an old Romario? Can't you see you're being inconsistent in your own arguments. That's why you annoyed me and still are. And when people bring up these inconsistencies to your attention in the hope to make you reflect and say "oh sorry" instead you turn the blind eye and pretend nothing is going on. And now go back to your posters while ignoring me once more.

4. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can you provide that piece of evidence showing exactly where Romario ever put himself above Pele?

Stop making up your own version of stories and stay real. Romario never compared himself or put himself above Pele. This is just one more of your insane things.

To all out here do not believe in what this guy is saying. He's making this up! Romario never put himself above Pele. Pay attention here on the usage of the word "above". That has never happened.

And stop lying that I have said this cause my post are there for all to see what I have or haven't said. You are a liar James!

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What are you talking about, Romario has over twice as many goals scored than Ronaldo for their careers.

@JamesBH11 @greatstriker11

You say match winner? How many league or club tournament titles did Ronaldo win in his career?

@Dagoods

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Xavi and Seedorf were not the main players in those victories, they were valuable parts of the team but not the ones who carried their teams to those titles.

7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And Ronaldo could never score against France!

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No, don't make lame excuses up. Ronaldo never played a single match in UCL07 for AC Milan, thus he is rightfully not part of the winning side.

And Thuram owned Ronaldo every time he faced him, even when he was 34 years old in WC06.

Ronaldo "won" his first WC thanks to the master Romario. Ronaldo couldn't even get a single second in the playing field :laugh:

leadleader and greatstriker11 repped this.
  9. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    What else can be said? The videos clearly show the difference between the two. R9 was faster, stronger, better dribbler, better vision, better ball control, more flair, his finishing was just as good or just a tad below Romario's. He won more internationally and faced stronger competition!

10. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think we are really fooling ourself trying to make these guys stop believing in their own fantasies. The more i read these guys posts the more I start to realise that they are inventing their fantasies and they believe in their own crap.

Ronaldo never scored more goals then Romario in Europe and never won more trophies then Romario any where. The only thing Ronaldo has more then Romario is 15 WC goals which will be eventually broken by Klose this Summer.

Gosh I cannot believe I ignored the advice of some members here to avoid entering a debate with James. I should have listened to them. Now it's too late. Pipiolo perhaps we should leave these guys. If they want to believe in a fantasy let them be. It;s going round circles with James anyway.

@JamesBH11 , I came to the conclusion of the next. You lie about you being a coach. You lie about you been to brazil other then tourism. it just occur to me how a big cheat you are. I am certain of this cause it can't be otherwise. If I am wrong then what explains your lack of knowledge for 1. Brazilian football. 2. definition of dribble. 3. lack of knowledge on "assists" regulations. 4. lack of appreciation for "headers" as a skillset. And a few more things.

You are the only football aficionado I met in my life who doesn't appreciate a good header. Every football enthusiast I met in my life go nuts about scoring with the head. But you lack that appreciation. Strange but true. And for your own record your other idol Pele responding to reporters by saying that no player that cannot score a goal with the head could call himself a complete a player. Pele: "No player that cannot score with the head can call himself complete" Ronaldo fits this profile Pele so eloquently described. More from Pele on headers: "I have a special feeling for that goal because I scored it with my head," he said. "My father was a soccer player and once scored five goals in a game, all with his head. That was one record I was never able to break."

11. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Clearly, you never saw R9 play in his prime.
    R9's barca was a so-so team. A team in transition, O Fenomeno, was not surrounded by 7-8 WC winners like a certain somebody. No one had to accommodate Ronaldo upfront, they just gave him the ball and he would take off! He's the main reason why Barcelona won 3 titles that season, he's the reason why they wear NIKE!
    R9 revived that team!

Oh really? Cause I remember how he owned prime Nesta, Cannavaro, Thuram, and Maldini!
    Inter were robbed against Juventus, but that's a whole different story!
    He was named ST of the year and footballer of the Year in Serie A so I guess he didn't do so bad, now did he?

12. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I just trashed his sophomoric argument!
    you're welcome!

13. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    A great video indeed but I still think R9 was the better footballer - hands down!

14. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You trashed his posts with trash?

is that what you said?

15. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I already posted an entire list of all his trophies 2-4 pages ago!

but here you go:

Club Titles:

Taça Divisões de Base São Cristóvão (1) - São Cristóvão 1991
    South American Cadet Championship (1) - 1992
    Minas Gerais State League: 1993
    Brazilian Cup (2) - Cruzeiro 93 & Corinthians 09
    Campeonato Mineiro '94 - Cruzeiro. - Mineiro Championship with Cruzeiro.
    Netherlands Cup - PSV 96
    Spanish Super Cup (2)- Barcelona 96, Real Madrid 2003.
    Copa Del Rey/ Spanish Cup - Barcelona 97
    Cup Winners Cup - Barcelona 97
    UEFA Cup - Inter 98
    Tim Trophy - Inter 02
    Trofeo Joan Gamper (1): Barcelona 96.
    Trofeo Birra Moretti Cup (2): Inter 01, 02.
    Intercontinental Cup - Real Madrid 02
    Championship of Spain La Liga (2) - Real Madrid 03 & 07.
    Santiago Bernabéu Trophy (3): 2003, 2005, 2006
    Naranja Cup of Valencia (Spain) (1): 2003 Real Madrid
    Memorial Jesús Gil Trophy (1): 2005 Real Madrid
    Xango Cup (1): 2006 Real Madrid
    Trofeo Luigi Berlusconi (1): Milan 2007
    UEFA Super Cup (1): Milan 2007
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2007
    Taça dos Invictos (1): 2009 Corinthians (oferecida pela Federação Paulista de Futebol)
    Campeão Paulista (1): 2009 Corinthians

Selecao Titles:

Campeonato COMMEBOL Sub-16. - Commebol Sub-16 Championship. - Brazil 1991.
    South American Championship U-19 - Brazil 1993
    UMBRO Cup - Brazil 1995.
    World cup (2) - Brazil 1994, 2002.
    Copa America (2) - Brazil 1997, 1999.
    Confederations Cup - Brazil 1997.
    Bronze medalist with Brazil at the Olympic Tournament (1996).

Personal Awards:

Ballon D' Or (2) - 1997, 2002.
    FIFA Player of the year (3) - 1996, 1997, 2002.
    Player of the year "World Soccer Award" (3) - 1996, 1997, 2002.
    Onze D' Or/Eleven of gold (2) - 1997, 2002.
    UEFA European Player of the Year (1) - 1998.

UEFA Best Striker of the Year (1) - 1998.
    IFFHS' World' S Signal Goal Scorer of the Year (1) - 1997.
    Rec.sport.soccer Player of the Year Award (3) : 1996, 1997, 2002.
    Better hope evolving/moving in Europe "The Award Cheer/The Bravo Awards" (2) -1997, 1998.
    European gold shoe (1) - 1997 (34 goals).
    Rey del Fútbol de Europa (newspaper El País) (2) - 1996, 1997.
    Best foreign player of the championship of Spain (2) - 1997, 2003.
    Top Scorer of the championship of the Netherlands (1) - 1995.
    Top Scorer of the championship of Spain (2) - 1997, 2004.
    Italian League Player of the Year (1) - 1998.
    Italian League Foreign Player of the Year (1) - 1998.
    Super Copa Top scorer (1) - 1994.
    Mineiro Championship Top scorer (1) - 1994.
    FIFA World Cup Golden Ball/MVP (1) - 1998.
    Top Scorer of WC (1) - 2002 "8 goals".
    Top Scorer of Copa America (1) - 1999 "5 goals".

Best Player of the Copa America (1) - 1997

Nike Statue in honor of Ronaldo outside their headquarters (1) - 1998
    World Sports Awards "Lareus" (2) - 2003.
    'Personalidad Extranjera del Año' de la BBC/ BBC's Foreign Personality of the Year (1) - 2002.
    Top sportsman of the year "Reuters Magazine" (1): 2002
    Gran Premio de la Academia Francesa de los Deportes (1) - 2002 (Ronaldo became the only second footballer to win this award the first one was PELE in 1970).
    el premio Príncipe de Asturias de los Deportes concedido a la selección de Brasil en pleno (1) - For the first time, this award was given to a FOOTBALL Team "The Brazilian National team of 2002"!!!
    MVP of the Intercontinental Final (1) - 2002.
    Best Male Soccer Player of the Year ESPY Award (1) - 2003.
    El Trofeo Comunidad Iberoamericana, uno de los Premios Nacionales del Deporte (1) - 2004.
    G.Q. Magazine Man of the Year Award (1) - 2004.
    Premio Gredos (1) - 2005.
    Top Scorer of South American WC Qualifiers (1) - 10 goals.
    "Only Zico and Romario have scored more goals than him (11)".
    La Liga's All-Time Brazilian Top Scorer (117) goals. (115 was the record).
    el Premio Brasil 2005 en la categoría Deporte y Cultura que ha concedido la Cámara de Comercio Brasil-España (1) - 2005
    elegido el hombre más elegante de Brasil, según la revista "Istoé Gente" (1) 2005.
    receives the Number 1 Volunteer Diploma from Luis Fernando Hernandes, president of Brazil's Red Cross, during a ceremony at the Red Cross headquarters in Rio de Janeiro - (1) 2005
    Bronze Shoe WC 2006
    All-Time South American WC Top Scorer
    All-Time WC Top Scorer 15 goals
    2nd All-Time Brazilian Top Scorer (62 goals).
    Golden Foot (1) - 2006.
    Campeonato Sudamericano sub-17 Top Scorer 8 goals (1993)
    Campeonato Mineiro/Cruzeiro Top Scorer 22 goals (1994)

Oscar del calcio AIC 2007 (1): Campione dei campioni Award (2007)

Premio Gianni Brera 2007 (1) : AC MILAN Deportivo del año 2007

Il Pirata d'Oro 1998 (1) Inter Milan 1998

Brazilian Football Museum Hall of Fame : 2008 (Inducted into the Brazilian Hall of Fame)

FES Key to the City Award (1) 2008 : Ronaldo’s Friends vs Zidane’s Friends.

O prêmio de craque do Campeonato Paulista 2009 (1): Corinthians 2009.

I.R.E.O (Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Organization) IREO Renewable Energy Award (1) 2009: IREO Renewable Energy Award is a global awards program designed to recognize those at the forefront of energy innovation.

O Fenômeno recebeu uma placa do presidente do Cruzeiro, Zezé Perrella & Colocou os pés na calçada da fama do Mineirão (1) 2009.
    Minutos antes do jogo entre Avaí e Corinthians (Atacante do Corinthians é homenageado pela diretoria do clube catarinense no estádio onde marcou o seu primeiro gol pela seleção), em Florianópolis, o atacante Ronaldo deixou a marca dos seus pés na calçada da fama da Ressacada (1) 2009.
    'Brasileiro do Ano' (1) 2009 - Jogador recebe prêmio de 'Brasileiro do Ano'
    Goal.com - Striker of the decade award (1) - 2010
    Goal.com - Player of the decade award (1) - 2010
    Escolhido como 'craque superação' pela entidade Assembleia Legislativa de São Paulo (1) - 2010
    Título de cidadão paulistano da Câmara Municipal/Title of citizen of São Paulo City Hall (1) - 2010
    Medalha do Mérito Esportivo (1) - 2011
    Marca Leyenda (1) - 2011
    Machimbarrena y Aranguren Statue (1) - 2011
    CBF Ceremony Homage /Golden Watch in honor of his legacy (1) - 2011
    2 Golden Shoes Nike Homage/Replica of First and Last (Mercurial Style) football shoe he wore as a professional (1) – 2011

Ronaldo foi nomeado patrono do Centro Olimpico de Treinamento e Pesquisa de Sao Paulo (1) - 2011
    Ronaldo - Recebeu Certificado do Membro Voluntario do Amigo do Esporte (AME) no Centro Olimpico (1) - 2011
    Ronaldo Fenômeno é homenageado pelo Corinthians com pintura no muro do CT (1) - 2012
    Prêmio João Havelange de Excelência e Legado (1) - 2012
    Homenageado, Ronaldo recebe camisa 9 do PSG & Award in recognition of his career (1) - 2013

16. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    with truth ;)

17. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh, he was great but...

he was great but....

the "but" is a common word used by fanboys.

Why not he was great here and there? Why not he was great at minute this and that?

Is this what you meant with trashing peoples posts?

If you came here to just make a loud statement and then leave, you are wasting ours and your own time.

18. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    ANd why is that? because of some UEFA rule, that's why!
    Oh really? that's not what Thuram says!
    Romario and Bebeto wanted R9 to play but the CBF didn't want another player to match PELE's record.
    17 year old who took the WC by storm. Had R9 played against Italia…Brazil would have won that game with ease!

19. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This one is even more impressive cause it has more league championship and top scorer titles then the above

Honours[edit]
    Clubs[edit]
    Vasco da Gama
    PSV Eindhoven
    Barcelona
    Flamengo
    Al-Sadd
    América-RJ
    National Team[edit]
    [​IMG] Brazil
    Individual[edit]

Pipiolo repped this.
  20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I only asked for league and international club titles, and the only ones that count from above are the UEFA Cup in 98, the Intercontinental Cup in 02, the Spanish League in 03, and the FIFA CWC in 07. Ronaldo did not win the Spanish league in 07 by the way, and regional and consolation trophies are irrelevant (but it should tell you something that's where most of Ronaldo's trophies have occurred).

greatstriker11 repped this.
  21. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA

His personal awards fall short, way short!
    Based on talent R9 has him beat by 1000 miles. Lightyears better!
    Perhaps you're more of a numbers guy. Do you want some stats?

SAME Leagues--R9----------------------> R11
    Brazil league-----63goals/86ga (0.72GPG) >195go/298ga (0.65GPG)
    ========
    Eiredivisie------- 42go/46ga (0.91GPG)---> 96go/107ga (0.90GPG)
    =======
    Liga
    Barca only ------- 47go/49ga (0.96GPG)---> 32go/47ga (0.68GPG)
    All liga------------ 169go/243ga (0.68GPG)-> 38go/61ga (0.62GPG)

WC level:
    R9 (15goals+4ass/19games) > R11 (5gaols+2ass/9games)

Copa America:
    R9 (10gaols+4ass/12games) > R11 (7goals+2ass/12games)

Everyone with half a brain knows that R9 is the greatest Brazilian footballer after Pele!

22. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    He played half a season…
    he scored goals!
    He's been credited with la liga title in 07.

23. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ronaldo was taken to WC94 because Romario endorsed Ronaldo to Parreira. This is a true story your other R9 fanboy mate even posted here on bigsoccer. It only shows how you lack knowledge of history of the game.

Pele scored two winning legendary goals for Brazil at age 17. Not having Ronaldo matching Pele's record is what upset you R9 fanboys? I can imagine it frustrates you guys to the max. But if you are upset for having Ronaldo failed to emulate Pele why don't you take the anger to Ronaldo doorstep and leave us alone. Go to him and demand him an explanation why he failed to emulate Pele. And while you there ask him as well why he failed to score in WC98 final and failed yet again against France every time they met. I hope he has an answer for you. And please do not shoot Miraslov Klose this Summer for breaking Ronaldo's WC goal record. Cause that would fire you guys up even further.

@Pipiolo

Pipiolo repped this.
  24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The UEFA rules apply to all players, Ronaldo left Real Madrid because he knew he was not wanted there anymore and went to a club that could afford space for him in AC Milan, which were also conveniently competitive at the time. But the reason Ronaldo did not win the CL is because he never played in it for a winning side - in 2007, Ronaldo did not play for AC Milan in the CL, thus he gets no medals.

It doesn't matter what Thuram says or not, I can watch the matches and Ronaldo never did anything against a French defense, they always owned him.

leadleader repped this.
  25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I meant scored more as goals per game ... of course Ronaldo could never hold his fitness for more than 1 or 2 seasons without injuries ...

At his best form: Ronaldo (~1GPG ) in 3 leagues (SAME CASE of Romario)
    - Brazil R9 (~1GPG) > R11 ~0.7
    - Holland R9 (~1GPG) = R11
    - Spain R9 ~1GPG > R11 (~0.7)

Second bold you forgot to read my post earlier! WHO CARES of the invalid and misleading argument!
    As MF: Rui Costa (1 league) >> Pedro ( 4 ligas)
    As DF: Booby Moore (zero leagues) >>>>> Puyol (5 ligas)
    As GK: Gordon Banks (zero leagues ) >>>>>>> Valdes (6 ligas)
    As FW: Batistuta (1 league) >> Inzaghi (3 leagues)