Sounders @ Chivas USA 4/19/14 (P/I/P)

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Seaball, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Who: Seattle Sounders v. Chivas USA
    Where: Stubhub Center, Carson, CA
    When: Saturday, 4/19/14 7:30 pm
    Watch: JoeTV

Heading down to Los Angeles to reunite with our old friend Mauro Rosales. Sounds like Evans and Rose have a good chance of being available for this game. If that's the case Sigi should have plenty of options to pick up more points on the road.

Sounders78 repped this.
  2. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They wouldn't notice if we just kidnapped Rosales and left them Zach Scott right? In all seriousness, lets not let Torres score a million goals on us and we should be fine.
    2-1 Sounders

3. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    We're due for a snoozer - I predict this is the match the Sounders regress to a mean level of offensive impotence. 1-0 Chivas due to ball-watching on a set piece.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be interesting to see how Chivas is playing. They started off the season on fire, but have slipped in the last few games. Torres has an amazing ability to disappear and pop-up unmarked in the box for an easy tap in. He should give our CD fits. I'd strap Marshall to his back like a backpack and see what happens. Take Torres out of the game and we should be stylin'.

On other news, we won't have to face Zavaleta in CD. Part of the loan agreement was that he can't play against the Sounders. I'm not sure if this is a good thing though, as Chivas has been playing Jean-Baptiste as a outside back and he's more a CD, then outside back.

5. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I kinda doubt that will happen. Sure Chivas may get the 1 goal but how can chivas handle an in form dempsey

6. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have seen, is that Zavaleta hasn't looked that good thus far (should be expected though). Beyond that we should be able to abuse their wingbacks and work the flanks.

7. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Constantly foul him.

terrier repped this.
  8. zielojo

zielojo Member

Jun 27, 2006
    #8 zielojo, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  9. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Zaveleta won't be playing against Seattle. Per in-league loans rules a player loaned to another MLS team can't play the team he is being loaned form.

10. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well, this worked last time....
    Sounders 4, Chivas 1.
    GO SOUNDERS!

11. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Still undefeated on the road! Terribly sloppy game, but whatever it counts.

12. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    We really need to settle the defense down.

13. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That PK should only been a foul outside the box and that PK attempt should been voided since you can't stop while in the motion of taking the PK.

Screwed by the ref there.

14. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't know - the foul looked right on the line to me. Regardless, at times we were quite adventurous in defense

15. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Based on the highlights, I don't think I want to watch this match.

Frankly, it looks like we were handed the win by the ref with the foul call on the Chivas no-goal and the soft red card. (PK was deserved.) Yuck.

16. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I don't think it was a gifted victory. Chivas didn't exactly distinguish themselves. Few good chances for them and they could have easily had a player sent off for PI.

That said, team defending is still a problem for us as is goalkeeping. Marshall has been great but, Traore, Yedlin, Gonzalez, or whomever is put back there needs to step it up. Also, that final ball just seemed to be a little off all night. Neagle in particular did great to beat his defender on multiple occasions and then just barely Martins and Dempsey. Same could probably be said for Pappa, his crossing wasn't sharp either.

17. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The PK foul wasn't even a foul in the box. Nevermind that pk attempt wasn't even legal. you can't stop in the middle of the motion of taking it. And that non-goal call was a good call. You can't slide in the keeper like that studs in.

edwardgr repped this.
  18. JPN17

JPN17 Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Always good to get a win on the road. As has been the case so far this year still lot of room for improvement. I thought the foul that gave Chivas the PK was right outside the box but it was really close. The red card was probably a bit harsh, but I really didn't mind it given Chivas' excessive fouling for most of the night. Glad to see Martins get a goal, this offense could be even more dangerous if he really gets it going. 3 wins and a draw in four road games is pretty damn good. Now it's time to start getting some wins at home.

19. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The red wasn't harsh as you can seriously injury a player like that to the point of breaking an ankle

20. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Probably not so much harsh as inconsistent. There were a lot of other harsh tackles that went uncarded. Not a pretty game.

edwardgr repped this.
  21. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7pts from 3 road matches, hell yeah I will take that. So anybody still want Drogba over Martins, assuming MLS does not announce a 4th DP spot mid season.

dmain repped this.
  22. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zielojo, we do not allow links to personal sites without providing some detail within your post. BS should not be exclusively used to drive visits to your site.

23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club: