The Middle Class Blames every one but themselves

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DoctorD, Aug 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that's true. he got a bad rep because he played a few times in pro-ams where even the fairways were packed with people to see the POTUS play. the slightest shank would hit someone on the head. dean martin or bob hope would have killed dozens at that rate.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I just met with a grad student at UChicago Public Policy who told me about some interesting new data.

At the national level, it turns out that there is no correlation between what people outside the top 10% of income cite as their policy concerns and what legislation gets passed. There is, however, a positive correlation between what those in the top 10% cite as concerns and what gets passed.

Also, when you control for other factors, African-American concerns have a negative correlation. If the African-American population wants something, that legislation is less likely to be passed than if African-Americans did not care about it.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So you're saying we just need to get blacks to want tax reductions and the budget deficit is solved because they'll be put up?

dapip repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Oh, I have no doubt that they could get tax rates on the poor raised, but not I think on the wealthy, so no budget deficit solved. Sorry about that.

The Wall Street Journal today had a big story (in the news section, not Op-Ed) about how the top 1% might be topped out on taxes because they are an ever-increasing share of the national tax revenue. Except for one guy who was quoted, the story did not mention that tax revenues on the top 1% are rising not because of higher rates over the past several decades, but because of higher incomes.

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2014/04/is-america-an-oligarchy.html

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is that so? I wonder why that is.

In other news, it turns out that there is no correlation between the cars that people who can't afford to buy cars like and what cars get driven. There is however a positive correlation between the cars wanted by those who do buy cars and which cars get driven.

puttputtfc repped this.
  7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ???

You get that America is supposed to be a democracy, right?:cautious:

I mean, it's not meant to be an issue what the top earners want and the laws that gets passed. I mean, you know that.... right?:cautious:

8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    At the risk of summoning someone this thread doesn't need, it's not. There are a host of safeguards specifically to avoid 50% + 1 from lording it over 50% - 1.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Perhaps. But you also know that for the right price you can buy politicians, do you not?

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are supposed to be a Federal Representative democracy.

There is a difference.

11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The problem is that politicians became too expensive, hence only billionaires can afford one now a days.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    ...wonder why that is?

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some dude in Chicago got cut taking a 7 thousand dollar bribe, I am pretty sure depending on what you want, you can still find some politicians on the cheap out there.

14. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Chicago boys are cheap than NY boys. But you are right, there are some bargains out there if you look hard enough.

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because now almost all Congresspeople are millionaires themselves (probably from bribes they've collected on their way up the ladder ;))
    And there are way more lawyers, who are really good at justifying things ... like being paid by someone other than the taxpayer. Something lawyers are not good at? Compromising.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that is what you get when you let Rich landowners write your constitution.

Talk about the 1% having a say on how to run a country.

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    And the cause of the millionaire Congresscritters...?

19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Millionaires are lazy bums who want do-nothing jobs that hook them up with even more money? Because then it's perfectly legal to do insider trading, and other otherwise reprehensible things like stealing from the poor to give to the rich (who will then give you even more money and/or another cushy do-nothing job)?

There are lots of them, which one are you fishing for? :)

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Power and access that they can sell. Lawmakers have power as agents of the government. Bureaucrats have power as agents of the government. There are lots of them, and they've been bestowed with lots of power over the decades, have they not?

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    over the decades since 1775? Or just since 1980?

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    If those are my only two choices, I'll go with the former while noting that the power available to wield as a government functionary has grown immensely

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Cool chart in Krugman today. It neatly demonstrates U.S. exceptionalism, and it also explains why the Tea Party doesn't have European equivalents. Finally, it explains why the U.S. is more prone to class warfare than is Europe (although oddly, not so prone to violence/strikes).

[​IMG]

dapip repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This chart does not seem right.

I will assume that this is when they talk about specific cuts and not just an overall question on "do you want to cut government spending".

I remember seeing polls where when asked the generic question support for spending cuts is high, but when they start asking for specific things to cut, the support for cuts falls.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You're probably right. There is a lot of devil in those details.