The Road from Here

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by triplet1, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And this is the part where the real dilution happens.

2. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
  3. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    To me, this really is the key. Think about it, MLS is spending $20M a year, about $1M per team, on academies and development right now. To protect that investment, the league needs the best prospects from that system to sign contracts -- the very players who will presumably have options. If MLS won't pay enough to keep the best of them, why spend that kind of money? Just keep drafting the same college guys and call it good.

But it isn't just the money, it's the "who" and the "where" too. Think about this in terms of recruiting college athletes -- the coach they will play for and the people they will be playing with and against and the distance from home are all huge factors for young players and their families making these choices. If MLS really thinks it can force the best and brightest to certain markets with very uneven coaching at wages it dictates, I think it's in for a rude shock. And, as you say, the faster more players get to this level, the faster MLS will have to figure out a way to be more market driven to attract and retain these guys.

That's why I'm optimistic both pay and limitations on player movement will change. What's more, I think most MLS owners and executives see the need too.

What I'm personally watching for is some indication whether the owners, realizing the inevitability of this, try and get ahead of the change by modifying the system now figuring they will get a more workable structure in the long run, or whether they cling to the present system and fight off any concession hoping to milk the present system as long as they can.

I hope for the former, but I fear its the later.

4. Hans H S

Hans H S New Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Oh. I must have misunderstoood. I`ve seen them before of course. ^^ I thought some user here had made calculations that went into more detail. My bad. Kind of interested in finding out what MLS uses money on.
    Guess that remains a secret. Thanks though.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That's a statement that even Don Garber wouldn't admit to (if he were under hypnosis).

The improvement in MLS is related to two main factors -

1) The relaxation of the foreign players rule.

1a) the US immigration laws which allow foreign players to receive the permanent right to work, which takes them off the "foreign players" status and allows the MLS teams to recruit more foreign players. As I have mentioned many times before, this is a nearly identical recirculation of imports that takes place in Spain and its "Queen Isabel" rules - a Brazilian is only a Brazilian for two (three?) years until he qualifies for the Spanish passport. As he becomes a citizen, a new Latin American player is brought in. At least, in Spain, the max number of non-EU players ( not counting those from Africa and the Caribbean who qualify as "locals" under the Cotonou Agreement) is set at three, so an imported player's failure to adjust to the league has a cost to it. MLS own rules and the US immigration laws are set differently, thereby making the ability to field a largely foreign born roster far more attainable. On the USMNT boards, several posters frequently mention how some teams field so few "US eligible" players. This is why.

2) Increase in teams payroll. It's obviously a "duh" remark, but one has to remember that prior to the Beckham Rule implementation, your average MLS team had ~ $2.5M worth of annual salaries. With the rule and the gradual cap increase, the payrolls vastly expanded. In fact, if one compared the CONCACAF MLS vs. Liga MX matchups, it's
    highly likely that the LA Galaxy had roughly double the total player payroll of Tijuana Xolos, though Cruz Azul did probably have a two-three time advantage over Sporting KC.

Where MLS did not or barely improve was its ability to produce high quality international players. In this instance, the paucity of transfers out of MLS indicates a drop not only in the total number of the international quality produced by MLS but their individual values as well. That is clearly the result of rather poor tactical and technical coaching on behalf of the majority of MLS coaches. In a mathematical euphemism, if MLS used to be a 4 - 2 for coaches + 2 for players - and it became a 6, it became a 6 because players have became a 4. Coaches still remained at 2.

And that's exactly where the road forward must start. It must start with better coaching because getting increasing team payrolls is not in the offing*.

* This doesn't mean the payrolls can't be structured differently. Someone like Joe Roth should understand that a product, such as a motion picture, really needs only one star. A star is your franchise player. Paying three per team is idiotic both in terms of marketing and in terms of quality on the field in a cap limited league. Additionally, paying DP wages to someone with no marketing power is triply idiotic. The attendance - if it peaks at all - peaks early and drops in subsequent seasons as the initial attraction to the "name" player wanes with time. Meanwhile, the lowest sustainable quality is still poor because the vast portion of the cap is invested into one-two-three of the twenty - or, at worst, fifteen to seventeen - eligible players.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    By the way, I would take the profit/loss estimates with a bucket of salt (and since I don't eat salt, I can't accept the estimates either). A far better estimate is in the expansion fees paid. They will obviously reflect several factors such as the profitability, cash flow and the projected revenue growth. The way Garber - that guy really needs to be examined under sodium thiopental and a lie detector at once - explains it, the league is bleeding red.

7. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    #82 triplet1, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    I'm not sure if you are a fan of transfermarket.com -- the site that estimates the market value of every club roster in the transfer market -- but you're right that the difference here is still stark.

According to transfermarket.com, the value of the estimated transfer value of MLS players in the entire league is put at €173.8M. The high value roster is TFC at €21.2M and the median roster value is €8M. Contrast Liga Mx at €484.9M for the league (which has one fewer club) with a high of €42.5M and a median of about €24.6M. Estimates or not, the difference is the valuation of the rosters is striking, primarily, I think, because of the lack of international quality players you describe.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/major-league-soccer/marktwert-vereine/wettbewerb_MLS1.html

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/liga-mx-clausura/marktwert-vereine/wettbewerb_MEX1.html

Since I used the example of Sweden earlier in the thread, I pulled that too -- the median is about €6.5M, although, again, those clubs are much smaller in revenue. The bigger clubs are between €9M - €15M -- Roughly comparable to the bigger MLS teams.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/allsvenskan/marktwert-vereine/wettbewerb_SE1.html

It's worth noting that while many MLS fans believe the IIFHS rankings formula penalizes MLS, the Swedish Allsvenskan is currently 45th in their rankings, not far above 49th ranked MLS. (Both have dropped, from 33 and 37, respectively). Both look low to me, but still if you look at the transfer valuation of the top half dozen clubs in each league, it does make some sense that the two would be roughly comparable.

http://www.iffhs.de/the-strongest-national-league-of-the-world/

FWIW, that matches my personal eye test -- as I've said, the bigger clubs spend more on their roster than MLS teams, or, at least, that spending is more balanced, which means the one or two "grinders" on MLS teams who ideally wouldn't be playing aren't on the field for the bigger Swedish clubs, resulting in a more technical level of play. (Virtually everyone can pass and receive the ball at higher tempo).

The comparison I think is a fair one. What stings a bit is that like MLS, Sweden is well down the pecking order in Europe in the IIHFS rankings. Again, given the valuation of the players, that's consistent, but for those of us who are MLS fans, unpleasant.

The reason all of this is interesting, I think, is that one of the metrics MLS is focused on is quality of play. International competition, which weighs heavily in the IIHFS rankings, is one possible way to measure league quality, but that includes only the top clubs. A more inclusive measurement of league quality is how the players are valued throughout the league -- the transfermarket data.

And to bring this full circle, you would expect that developing good young players -- yes with good coaching -- should move those transfermarket numbers higher for MLS in time. But all of that presupposes MLS frees up the necessary dollars not just to develop these players, but to pay them enough to entice them to sign contracts as well.

8. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    There are other forums and threads for this, but I agree with you that this is a huge issue. Not long ago I was talking with the parents of a kid who is gifted -- those who follow this stuff would recognize who he is and I'm not going to out him on Big Soccer for what was a private conversation, so you'll just have to trust me. At any rate, they made the point to me that coaching in MLS academies and reserves is very, very uneven. So much so that they were convinced that, despite the obvious shortcomings for the schedule, the elite college programs offered better instruction, and some of the foreign teams that were realistic choices for this kid were light years better in their opinion.

That's what I was alluding to earlier when I talked about the importance of choice. If this kid signs with a foreign club, he has a choice. If he signs with a top college program, he can pick the best fit and situation. And, at least in their opinion, while a couple MLS academies are good and might be attractive, only MLS tries to force these kids into a crummy hometown program.

Even for the committed it's not easy. I believe potential homegrowns need to reside in their communities and participate in their home town MLS academy for a year before signing with the parent team. Now think about that, if you want a specific academy because it's one of the few in MLS where you do have faith in the coaching and the organization, you have to move out there. Since few MLS academies are residential, either your family moves too or you need to figure out housing. And then you have to hope a slot will be there that pays the kid something when you are ready for the first team so MLS doesn't ship you off somewhere like New England in the SuperDraft. Yeah, that's appealing.

And MLS does this because it's clinging to a parity model that severely restricts player movement that was designed for U.S. leagues with far less international competition. As I said, if it wants the best potential talent, MLS is going to have to have to bend a bit or, at least, force up every team to a higher level for development.

jond's been hammering on this point, and while I've generally been skeptical that actually MLS' loses that many young players, I now think he's probably right that MLS is losing players than it would like early on just because the instruction and the set up isn't good enough. At least not for every MLS team. Not all of these kids will become solid pros admittedly, but listening to a real family talk about this has persuaded me that it may be a bigger issue than I thought.

9. gaucho16

gaucho16 Member

Jul 2, 2012
    1. Most MLS teams don't maximize international slots with quality players. There are plenty of international players only being used as roster filler in MLS. So...I don't see how point #1 applies to MLS.
    2. I generally agree that $ translates to better players but I think you're a little off in your assessment of MLS payrolls. The payrolls are top heavy. Most estimates I have heard put the top Liga MX payrolls around $30 mil (unfortunately their payroll numbers are murky). I will tell you this, the traffic of talented young players and 2013's golden boot winner in MLS are going south. This is certainly due to greater Liga MX payrolls and better academies. The Galaxy have lost a handful of their top prospects to Xolos in the past couple years.
    I do agree with your thoughts about MLS' academies and general US coaching.

10. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    I thought it would be interesting to pull the Forbes data for all of the major U.S. professional leagues: the NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB, set it along side the MLS data and rank all 141 teams by EBITDA.

Some random observations:

-- Three quarters of the teams do make money, while 35 of the 141 teams, about 25% of the teams, reported a loss.

-- Of the top 25% of the clubs with incomes of $28.9M or more, just under half of them (16) are from the NFL, while 11 were from the NBA, 6 from MLB, and 2 from the NHL. None are from MLS.

-- Seattle is more profitable than eight NFL teams. Amazing. Still, compared to the best performers in the other leagues, even the best of MLS lag behind the most profitable teams in other major leagues. The most profitable team overall is in the NFL (Dallas), the most profitable team in the NBA is 4th overall (New York Knicks), MLB 7th (St. Louis) and the NHL 17th (Toronto).

-- At 55th, Seattle is the only team above the median of $11.2M (71), but Portland (78), Houston (tied for 79th) and LA (83) are pretty close. I was surprised to see that these MLS teams made more money than many big market MLB teams, including the Yankees, Dodgers and White Sox (which all lost money), along with the Mets, the Angles and the Tigers.

-- While only a quarter of the teams lost money, that is skewed because only a single NFL team isn’t profitable. Of the 35 teams Forbes estimates to be losing money, 11 were from the NHL, 11 from MLB, 8 of these were from MLS, 4 from the NBA and 1 from the NFL. That means 42% of MLS teams lost money, compared to 37% of the NHL and MLB teams, and 13% of the NBA teams, Just a single NFL team (3%) lost money. None of the MLS teams are in the bottom ten, however.

-- Both in terms of the most profitable and least profitable teams, the NBA was stronger than I expected.

-- Compared to the NHL, like MLS the league that is arguably closer to “niche” status, the traditional teams haven't fared nearly as well. The original teams continue to drive the NHL. Five of the six NHL teams with the highest EBITDA are members of the NHL’s “original six” , and the Red Wings aren’t too far behind in 10th. Contrast MLS, where expansion teams and relocated Houston dominate the list of the league’s most profitable teams. In MLS, only two of the original teams in their original markets make the top six, and one of those, Kansas City, was rebranded. LA alone has kept both its identity and its place in the league’s most profitable teams. Indeed, the original market MLS teams are far more likely to be at the bottom of the league in profitability, including New York, DC, Columbus, Colorado and San Jose (admittedly a replacement team). You could easily include the Fire in that group too even though they came in two years after the rest. Getting in early didn't mean profitability for MLS teams.

Here is the list, high to low in millions of USD:

1. Dallas Cowboys 250.7
    New England Patriots 139.2
    Washington Redskins 104.3
    New York Knicks 96.3
    Houston Texans 81.5
    Los Angeles Lakers 66.4
    St Louis Cardinals 65.2
    Indianapolis Colts 65.0
    New York Giants 64.4
    Houston Rockets 63.7

11. Chicago Bears 63.2
    Houston Astros 55.9
    Green Bay Packers 54.3
    San Francisco Giants 53.3
    New York Jets 52.8
    Chicago Bulls 52.2
    Toronto Maple Leafs 48.7
    Baltimore Ravens 48.3
    Philadelphia Eagles 47.8
    Boston Celtics 46.8

21. Golden State Warriors 43.0
    Tennessee Titans 40.0
    San Antonio Spurs 39.4
    Atlanta Braves 38.4
    Dallas Mavericks 37.5
    Cincinnati Bengals 37.3
    Oklahoma City Thunder 33.3
    San Diego Padres 33.0
    Denver Broncos 31.7
    San Diego Chargers 30.4

31. Minnesota Twins 30.2
    Portland Trail Blazers 30.0
    Montreal Canadiens 29.6
    Miami Heat 29.2
    Carolina Panthers 28.9
    Toronto Raptors 28.8
    Pittsburgh Steelers 28.3
    Seattle Seahawks 28.2
    Phoenix Suns 28.2
    Minnesota Vikings 28.0

41. Oakland Athletics 27.4
    Chicago Cubs 27.3
    New York Rangers 27.3
    Chicago Blackhawks 25.6
    Boston Red Sox 25.3
    Miami Dolphins 24.8
    Washington Nationals 22.4
    New Orleans Saints 22.2
    Pittsburgh Pirates 21.8
    St Louis Rams 21.1

51. Pittsburgh Penguins 20.9
    Oakland Raiders 19.1
    Boston Bruins 18.5
    Atlanta Falcons 18.5
    55. Seattle Sounders 18.2
    Utah Jazz 17.5
    Cleveland Browns 17.1
    Vancouver Canucks 15.8
    Jacksonville Jaguars 15.5
    Tampa Bay Rays 15.3

61. Los Angeles Clippers 15.0
    Kansas City Chiefs 15.0
    Colorado Rockies 13.7
    Buffalo Bills 12.6
    Sacramento Kings 12.5
    Orlando Magic 12.3
    Indiana Pacers 11.6
    Milwaukee Bucks 11.5
    Calgary Flames 11.5
    New Orleans Pelicans 11.2

71, Memphis Grizzlies 11.2 -- MEDIAN
    Cleveland Cavaliers 10.8
    Detroit Red Wings 10.5
    Detroit Pistons 10.3
    Edmonton Oilers 10.3
    San Francisco 49ers 10.2
    Arizona Cardinals 9.7
    78. Portland Timbers 9.4
    79. Houston Dynamo 8.2

Los Angeles Kings 8.2

81, Denver Nuggets 8.0
    Washington Capitals 8.0
    83. LA Galaxy 7.8
    Detroit Tigers 7.5
    Charlotte Bobcats 7.0
    Washington Wizards 7.0
    Milwaukee Brewers 6.8
    Ottawa Senators 6.8
    Winnipeg Jets 6.3
    Philadelphia Flyers 6.0

91. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 5.8
    Seattle Mariners 5.3
    93. Sporting Kansas City 5.1
    Columbus Blue Jackets 4.9
    95. Toronto FC 4.5
    96. Montreal Impact 3.4
    97. New England Revolution 2.6

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2.2
    San Jose Sharks 2.1
    Dallas Stars 1.6

101. Baltimore Orioles 1.6
    New York Mets 1.6
    103. Philadelphia Union 1.1
    104. FC Dallas 0.6
    105. Colorado Avalanche 0.3
    106. Vancouver Whitecaps 0.0
    107. Real Salt Lake -0.1

Nashville Predators -0.8
    Buffalo Sabres -1.0
    New York Islanders -1.2

111. Columbus Crew -1.6
    Cleveland Indians -1.9
    St Louis Blues -2.5
    Chicago White Sox -2.7
    Minnesota Timberwolves -2.7
    116. DC United -2.8
    117. Colorado Rapids -2.9
    118. Chicago Fire -3.2

Carolina Hurricanes -3.4
    Detroit Lions -3.5

121. Atlanta Hawks -3.6
    Philadelphia 76ers -3.8
    Anaheim Ducks -3.9
    New Jersey Devils -4.2
    125. San Jose Earthquakes -4.5
    Texas Rangers -4.9
    Tampa Bay Lightning -5.4
    128. Chivas USA -5.5
    Arizona Diamondbacks -5.8
    130. New York Red Bulls -6.3

131. Kansas City Royals -6.5
    Florida Panthers -7.7
    Miami Marlins -8.0
    Phoenix Coyotes -8.9
    New York Yankees -9.1
    Cincinnati Reds -11.6
    Minnesota Wild -13.6
    Toronto Blue Jays -14.9
    Brooklyn Nets -19.0
    Philadelphia Phillies -20.9

141. Los Angeles Dodgers -80.9

Links:

http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#page:1_sort:6_direction:asc_search:
    http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/
    http://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/
    http://www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/list/#page:1_sort:6_direction:desc_search:

superdave and ceezmad repped this.
  11. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Actually I think it's too early to make a judgment on the academies as an empirical matter. They haven't been around for long and the only MLS USL team has been around for three months. On the other hand, it's hard to see how giving players more competition and more structure is going to be a bad thing.

I agree about the inconsistency of coaching and on the Galaxy board I've been complaining about how insular Galaxy hiring is. On the other hand, I watched the Galaxy academy team play a Chivas Guad team and the style of play was better than I associate with "traditional US soccer". I didn't see the Fluminse game, but someone who did said that the Galaxy was clearly outclassed, so there's still a long way to go.

007Spartan repped this.
  12. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Don't want any specific information about the kid, but is there a sense about which part is the main problem? When Paul Arriola left for Tijuana there was a discussion on the Galaxy board about why it happened. He gave the reason that he could get game time in the reserves there. But there also could have been an issue of money or coaching or being traded and I'm just not sure how important any of those things are. They are different problems with different solutions.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a believer that the parity model hurts development, from the youth restrictions to the draft. An important aspect of development to a young player is to have options. The ability to choose the club/system/coach which best fits a player's strengths. Look at a guy like Junior Flores for example who now highlights Dortmund's U19 squad. He weighed Liverpool/PSG/Dortmund, among other opportunities/choices abroad against the choices here, signing with LAG and waiting for 1st team action whenever that comes along, and playing at the USL-Pro level until then or sign a GA contract and go through the lottery and end up any number of places. And, that's a common situation among many of our prospects who go abroad. And that doesn't get into what happens if you end up not being in your MLS team's plans going forward. Then at that point you can again end up just about anywhere with little say, whereas abroad they're generally much more willing to release you and send you on your way where you one again have options.

Then we get into the draft doing the opposite of giving teams an incentive to improve their academies. Some teams concentrate on their academies anyway, but there's some such as SJ, in a hotbed area of young talent in this country, who practically ignore their academy as they know 2-3 prospects are dropping into their lap every year in the draft. There's also the draft completely limiting choices of where you end up aside from very special circumstances like Luis Gil, where after signing a GA deal with the league he was put in the weighted lottery and could have ended up a number of places but was one of the few who had enough leverage to essentially force MLS to conduct a trade between KC and RSL. That's not the norm though. Coming out of the NCAA you practically have no choice though. And while the draft obviously works for leagues like the NBA or NFL, a huge part of that is the NCAA level is the top feeder league in the world for both those leagues. All players entering the NBA/NFL draft chose which college program to develop/play in and as it should be, the top players gravitate to the top programs under the top coaches to continue their development. Soccer being a global game however and NCAA soccer not being anywhere near a decent feeder league/level stacked up against football/basketball, the draft makes far less sense in this sport as the other two sports operate much more in a closed system and the top prospects worldwide for the most part are coming through the NCAA.

Coaching is also an enormous issue and one the league and American system as well has ignored more than just about any other aspect of our soccer landscape. It's a red flag for me, and scouts have said this too, that we have a far superior setup and resources as a league compared to 5, 8 or 10 years ago but are producing less top end talent. The average player has gotten better without a doubt but the U20 squads from 99/01/03/05/07, with far fewer resources produced more top end players than we've seen with the 09/11/13 squads. While some disagree for various reasons, foreign interest/bids do represent confidence in our talent and there's very little interest in the current crop of 23-28 yr olds we've developed here and that generation in general. Those that have tried their hand abroad, especially attacking talent have largely flopped when moving abroad. A guy like Shea was an MLS MVP candidate at 20/21 and received more interest abroad than any MLS developed attacker recently and can't even make the bench at Stoke. The other largely developed American attacker with regular foreign interest was Agudelo, who's not exactly having an easy transition at a poor Ered club. Years ago with much less infrastructure we produced Landon who was signed by a UCL Bund club and was outstanding as a young player on the international scene, DMB getting bought and starting for a UCL Ered club in his early 20's, Clint leaving at 23/24 and within a year being an impact player at Fulham, Jozy getting a 10M transfer at 18, Bradley getting bought as a teen and at 18/19 making an immediate impact at Heerenveen and breaking the at the time US record for scoring goals in a foreign league. Even our defenders, guys like Gooch/Chero/Boca had club careers where they were regular starters in top leagues, even a captain like Chero in the Bund. Compare that to Omar who looks shell shocked against Xolos and the prospect of Brad Evans playing RB for us in Brasil, along with hoping a 33 yr old DMB, a LW by trade, can man the LB spot for us in Brasil.

I do think we're in a general down-generation of talent and the next two cycles will provide considerably more talent, but even then, it's foreign prospects Brooks/Mix/AJ/Green/Zelalem? who, aside from Yedlin are generally considered our top prospects. I think it's a good exercise, to see our true state of recent development, to look at our current player pool without the foreign developed players. Take Jones/Fabian/Chandler/Mix/AJ/Brooks/Boyd/Green out of our current player pool, then consider recent development without the 30 or older Clint/Landon/DMB, and that's a true look at the type of player we've produced the last 5-7 years and it doesn't given much confidence currently looking at those from about 23-29 years old. We are extremely dependent right now on the foreign contributions and hoping Clint/Landon can help carry us. The other two who are younger and top players for us, products of that 07 U20 cycle, the last U20 cycle to really produce top end talent for us are Bradley and Jozy, who both by coincidence left MLS as teens.

That's a true look at our recent development, dropping all the foreign developed players and 30+ yr olds and we're basically left with Bradley and Jozy, both who left the league early. We're then looking at pretty good MLS players who we hope can hang at the level we'll face in Brasil but are largely unproven at anything approaching that level, guys like Omar/Besler/Zusi/Evans/Wondo. And that's not meant to slam development, we are doing good things, our infrastructure has improved greatly, we have much improved talent coming down the pipeline although much of the top prospects on our youth NT's are moving abroad, but it boils down to IMO, coaching being the thing which is holding us back the most. Our coaches are producing less top talent now with far more resources than coaches had 6-10+ years ago.

P.S. Another red flag in terms of the desire to improve coaching or the lack there of is the case of Tom Byer. He's an American coach who's won awards across Asia for development, was a large part of Japan re-tooling their structure and making huge strides, wants to work back home here in the states yet has no interest and instead after all he did in Japan, took on the project of doing the same in China. That not a single team in MLS brought him in is simply not a good sign. We don't have an equivalent here with anything approaching his resume/experience yet not a single MLS team apparently made bringing him on a priority. That can be said for USSF as well.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...nd-why-it-isn’t-happening-in-the-u-s.2001796/

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/the-case-for-tom-byer.2000013/

14. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    #89 triplet1, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Fair warning, this is case of a little knowledge being dangerous, since I had exactly two conversations with this kid and his parents and I don't know any of them all that well to begin with -- friends of friends sort of thing. In other words, while it's anecdotal, I wouldn't draw sweeping conclusions here.

I also want to reiterate that I've got to be really careful here for obvious reasons. so rather than discuss this specific case, I would encourage you to think about the academies from the perspective of a gifted kid living in a non MLS city or an MLS city where the academy isn't well regarded.

Odds are good you're playing on a pay to play traveling team, probably a good one. As I said, you're gifted. U.S. soccer and colleges are starting to notice you, and if you just keep on keeping on, odds are good you'll at least get a full ride to a good school with a good, maybe even elite soccer program.

What does your local MLS academy offer? Let's assume not much. It's fairly new, it's instruction is uneven and arguably it's not any better than the team where you already are doing well and very comfortable. As long as you can afford where you are, why move?

But assume you are intrigued by the prospect of being a home grown player, you just don't want to be a home grown player for your "home town" team and its crummy set up. Nonetheless, the idea of spending six or seven years with a team, getting good, consistent coaching, playing in the same system that suits you, signing a home grown contract bypassing the super draft, getting a decent wage when you make the first team from an organization that's well regarded that knows you well by that time. The more you talk with your parents, the more you all think that's worth exploring.

The clock is ticking though. Once you enter college or are named to the U17/18 (or older) youth national team, you cannot be added to an MLS team's home grown player list. You also need to be a "home territory" resident for a year before the team can put you on the home grown player list. So, realistically, if you want to try an academy far from your home, you better move there as early as possible. Even then you'll be competing with -- and hopefully displacing -- kids already in the team's system for playing time and opportunities. Still, the longer you wait, the harder that gets.

Understand that MLS doesn't like this idea at all. It doesn't like kids picking where they will play, moving to other markets. There are a lot of rules and regs, seemingly ever changing trying to make it hard for you to do what you are exploring. But right now you've got a good hand because whether MLS likes it or not, it's a competition and you are in demand. Based on what you've done already, again you have a pretty good idea you are going to have plenty of good college offers. If nothing else, you'll get a free education at a great school. At least for now, you can afford to be picky where you go. If you want to try and be a home grown player, it's got to tick a lot of the boxes and if MLS makes a fuss, hey, at this point no great loss.

The more you explore this though, the more it becomes clear that even the MLS team you like simply doesn't understand the need to recruit you. The negatives look bigger and bigger. Changing schools in high school. Living with relatives. Losing the comfort of your current traveling team. The colleges know how to recruit though, and they're good at it. They'll be very specific about the coaching and playing time and systems. They'll talk about honoring your deal, even if you are hurt. They'll talk about the pro players they have produced, at MLS and in other leagues. They'll talk about the limitations of the schedule and how that can be overcome.

And at the end of the day, you'll find it isn't a hard choice.

EDIT: jond, your post beat mine but I hadn't read it when I posted this. You'll see many of the same themes. All I would add is that colleges in California and the southwest do appear to be attracting Mexican league scouts, so for kids from other parts of the country the college option may actually get them more exposure to Liga Mx.

ceezmad repped this.
  15. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I see where you and Jond are coming from, and I’m not trying to be an MLS apologist, but I still wonder what MLS should do. The problems seem mostly unsolvable to me given the current situation.

We are not producing the number of top-level talent we did before.

I think there’s a good chance that this is just a result of a small sample and chance. It’s not uncommon for a country to have a “golden generation” and ours just came back then. But if you want to argue that it’s not chance, then what were we doing differently then? Was it better when Bradenton was more important than it is now?

Junior Flores chooses Dortmund over the Galaxy

Wouldn’t you pick Liverpool/PSG/Dortmund over the Galaxy? The senior teams are better, I expect the facilities are better and I’m sure the academies are better. We don’t compete with Dortmund for players and were going to lose the competition for academy players too.

The academies are losing players to the Colleges

Again, sure, if it were my kid I push for the college scholarship unless he was so good he could go to a top academy, and that wouldn’t be in the US.

It’s why I’m asking where we think the problem is:

If it’s money, then the situation will improve in time, but slowly.

If it’s the fear of getting traded to DC, then guarantee their contract for four years and add a condition that you can’t be traded. This is doable.

If it’s the restricted territories, then I want to know how much it matters. Let’s pick on Atlanta since they’re new. Say that the Atlanta academy is terrible. The only thing MLS is preventing a player in Atlanta from doing is moving to a new city in order to play for an MLS academy rather than a non-MLS academy in Atlanta. How many kids are we talking about? Now maybe if every kid started leaving Atlanta it would embarrass the team so much that they would fix the academy, but I doubt it.

If it’s the lack of opportunity to play after age 18, then that’s being fixed now (again, slowly)

If it’s the coaches, then it gets complicated. MLS probably doesn’t pay enough money to get good coaches. I’m not familiar with Tom Byer but I’m guessing he’s doing pretty well. But there are deeper problems. If the current senior coaches are not any good, how do we expect them to be able to pick good youth coaches? But yeah, I think there are real problems. I look at the Galaxy youth coaches and it doesn’t make me happy, but I don’t know how much of that is that we don’t spend a lot of money, how much is that we don’t know any better and how much is that we just don’t care.

I agree 100% that parity hurts youth development. But parity helps the league survive, so there’s a tradeoff. Of course, people differ on how much, but MLS seems to put a high value on it so I don’t think they’re being stupid, just practical (at least from their point of view). The whole youth system is ridiculously kludgy but if you start taking one piece out, it’s all going to fall apart. It probably will anyway one day, but I’m not sure now is the time to do it. This is going to be a huge political battle and right now there are bigger fish to fry.

16. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    If it makes you feel any better, from what I can tell FC Dallas, the Galaxy and Chivas USA academies are pretty much the gold standard.

Again, I'm limited here, but I encourage you to watch were the kids on the youth national teams go and who they are playing for.

The January camp for the U-14 BNT had 37 kids, 23 who had been called up before and 14 newcomers. Only nine of those 37 were playing for an MLS academy.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/03/17/13/14/140129-bnt-fla-camp-roster-rel

Last September, 48 kids were called up to the U-14s and 11 were playing for MLS academies.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/03/17/13/02/130927-lepore-calls-48-for-u14-ntc-camp

Last April, six of the 18 kids on the U-15 BNT that went to Italy were with MLS academies (plus one from Orlando City). Three were playing for Liga MX academies.

I don't want to spin this into a thread on U.S. soccer and youth development, but still for the academies to work MLS needs to get the talented kids involved, give them good coaching and make it easy for them to progress. They're missing a significant percentage of these kids.

17. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    If I had a team I would hire Klinsmann as a consultant. Ha. ;)

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They don't max the foreign slot because they run into cap problems and most non-US educated foreign players are not roster fillers but among the top fifteen players on a given team.

Last night, Galaxy had Keane, Ishizaki, Juninho, Sarvas, Husidic, Leonardo and Penedo as starters while Vancouver had Mattocks, Miller, Morales, Koffie, Laba, O'Brien and Ousted. These are heavily non-American rosters and most lineups have a similar composition.

Two more points - Husidic was deemed less than mediocre for a midtable club in the Swedish second division (Hammarby) and yet here he is, starting for the Galaxy.

And I am not against teams laden with the foreign players. Twenty years into its existence, if MLS can't coach its youth to contribute at this level, someone has to step in and fill the available slots.

Top Mexican teams have TOTAL payrolls/revenues of $30M, including the coaching staff, youth teams, administrations, etc., but there is a huge difference between the richest clubs like America, Cruz Azul, Monterrey, Chivas de G and the lowest tier clubs like Tijuana. And even top Mexican clubs don't pay their top performers anywhere close to what MLS pays. The last time, some info squeaked out of there, (the late) Edgar "Chucho" Benitez (a failure at Birmingham City, I might add) and Chupete Suazo were leading the pack at $3M each. Marco Fabian, a top player at Blue Cross - on loan from Chivas - was making $1.5M. Now, do the rough estimate and you get the starting lineup at Cruz Azul of about $8M-$10M.

Triplet1
    mentioned Transfermarkt. Check out the Liga MX player movement both to and fro. These blokes aren't going to the EPL of the world (and, except Chicharito, others have failed there anyway). The majority comes and goes to the relatively poor South American leagues (meaning all besides Brazil) or Middle and Far East. Tijuana is filled with the over-the-hill Mexicans like Arce and Saucedo, a few mid-priced imports from Argentina and a bunch of US-Mex dual citizens like Edgar Castillo, Greg Garza, Joe Corona, Paul Arriola, et al. The dual nationals are probably in the low six digits - sans Castillo, who probably makes in the mid-sixes - and yet still get a ton of game time.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    How about a historical reference from far away and long in the past?

I was watching a (Putin approved) documentary on Russia of 1913 (the last peaceful year before before the Great War). The Tzarist Russia was undergoing great transformation at that time. Ninety percent of the populace was illiterate and living on farms while only the top two percent could be considered intelligentsia (i.e., well educated and mostly well mannered). Yet the Russian economy was expanding at a 5% annual rate (and no MLS/Hollywood style accounting gimmicks there ... the Imperial ruble was backed by real gold) and the average living standards achieved fifty percent of the American (they are about a quarter to a third now, with the median to a median being closer to a quarter). So, how did the Imperial Russia manage to do this?

Well, they brought in the "intelligentsia" from abroad. The hired brains mainly spoke German and were handsomely compensated for this trait. A top engineering import in 1913 could make as much as $2M/Y (inflation adjusted) to set up and run a manufacturing facility. The local dimwits greatly resented that, frequently refusing to work for a fer'ner. To placate the gray and definitely unwashed masses, the Russian bosses often appointed a native figurehead while the Germans still ran the whole show behind the scene.

If you think the parallels to the US soccer are far too eerie, let me declare right away that I do not favor German soccer coaches over the Dutch or the Brazilian or the Spanish or the Yugoslavian but I do favor the intelligentsia over the gray unwashed masses.

A Brazilian-American friend of mine emailed me this a few days ago. A worthwhile read from an ESPN soccer blog.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/worldcupcentral/id/3617?cc=5901

There's a fairly simple explanation for this. A decade to a decade and a half ago, most players who needed to make a living knew that they had to leave for Europe and then succeed in Europe. Some broke through, some didn't but they were motivated to go because MLS paid very little on the whole. Sometime in the mid-late naughties, MLS began to pay more to the marginal US teamers like Marvell Wynne, Justin Mapp, Brian Ching, et al (before it was fairly selective whom it paid and whom it didn't ... even Eddie Pope was not showered with largesse and, even when he was paid well by MLS standards, he was moved from team to team precisely because of the cap). This made the decision to go or not to go abroad far more complicated - bird in hand and so forth - and many players with potential stayed and, when they stayed, they stagnated and then the stagnated players got old and nearly useless. Now, clearly, some guys were more internally motivated than others and some weren't even motivated abroad (ya, looking at you, Cletus) but that's the nature of the beast. You need numbers for some to sip through to the USMNT.

Very marginally. Hypothetically, one can hire an experienced foreign youth coach for very little and see a drastic change. As feeble as some of the US results may have been across the U-WC's, teams coached by Nowak, Rongen and Ramos, at least, looked more alive than their US born&bred brethren. Which was a start.

20. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    There are two bias problems with Transfermarket.com

1) The market is based on potential buyers. The problem with valuing MLS players is that most of the US players are not eligible to be sold in some of the richest markets due to work permit issues. For example if you look at the way they value Seattle Sounder players Stefan Frei (Swiss passport) is valued at 600€ and Kenny Cooper (UK) is valued at 650€. Meanwhile two of the valued players on the team by the team management, Chad Marshall and Ozzie Alonso, are "valued" at 500€ and 800€ respectively.

2) The other problem is familiarity. DeAndre Yedlin supposedly has no value.

21. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Here is the problem with using EBITDA as the primary metric for MLS or any other sports league:

"The Dodgers place second on our [Forbes] list with a value of $2 billion." According to the LA Times former owner "Frank McCourt turned a net profit of $1.278 billion on the Dodgers sale, subtracting $460 million in tax payments and $412 million in debts assumed by Guggenheim. No other baseball team has sold for even $1 billion." Sports teams are as much collectibles as they are businesses.

22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Heh, heh. This talk about MLS academies and the competition against colleges. I think that the success rate of the academies is about par for the course for any new project. As has been noted some academies have had success and some have not. Do you think the other academies will not take note? This is no different than the SSS drive that started in 2002. It's something that will require a lot of trial and error and will take time before it's true capacity is achieved.

I'm not sure about the choice topic. Players currently have a lack of choice simply because this is an underserved market. There is a huge lack of academies. I wouldn't read much into it. A player in England has the choice of a dozen pro teams to train within easy distance. We have only 40 or so pro teams in the whole country.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but Liga MX would have the same work permit issues, so comparing the 2 is apples to apples.

Not that the website is the best way to compare, but is one option.

24. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the answer is to send all of our best young talent to Europe to develop and hire a bunch of foreign coaches? Not so sure that is the best way to grow the league or the game in this country. Besides, it isn't as if the league has been adverse to hiring foreign coaches in the past. Over the entire history of the league, MLS teams have hired 47 foreign born coaches and 46 coaches from the US or Canada. The US born coaches have been FAR more successful all time. The top five and six of the top seven coaches in terms of all time wins were Americans and American coaches have won 15 of 18 MLS Cups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Soccer_coaches

Personally, I think the coaching and tactics in the league have improved. Far more teams try to play attractive, possession based soccer than in years past. However, we are definitely not there yet in terms of development. I think the league was a bit late in getting academies up and running and the USSF waited too long to attempt to address skill development. However, I like the current direction. I think the league understands the issue and is attempting to address it. Things need to be tweaked for sure and you make some good points, but there is going to be a certain amount of trial and error when you start something new.

I also think it is a big, big positive that the first generation of MLS players is now moving into coaching more and more. When I was coming up and playing in the 90s there was almost a total lack of coaches who had played the game at a high level. I really don't think the importance of seeing former MLS and national team players like Ramos, Porter, Petke, Olsen, Kreis, etc., etc. move into coaching can be understated.

All that said, 22 or 24 teams are not going to be able to develop all of the talent in a country that spans 3.8 million square miles with 315 million people in it. It is just not gonna happen. We can take lessons from other countries and we can cherry pick foreign coaches, however, we can not simply copy what is done in some other country and apply it here and expect it to be successful.

25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In regards to youth coaches, it's very hard to predict who will be a good or, better yet, great youth coach from their playing resume. Pekerman, widely renowned as one of the great youth coaches, was just a journeyman pro. Likewise, Caleb Porter had a very minimal playing career. Nonetheless, he is so good that Diskerud seriously considered a move solely from the fact that Porter was there. So, if the academies are right now rather hit and miss it's because there's little else one can expect from a first try in hiring coaches.