US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part II

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by giffenbone, Nov 7, 2011.

1. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would take some movement on Westberg's part but I wouldn't rule it out completely for 2018. Where is Luzenac in the table?

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    top 2, and the top 3 have a pretty sizable gap as of now halfway through the season. Lord knows we've seen some epic collapses/team resurgences in the second half of seasons though. Hopefully they keep the foot on the gas. Ligue 2 should give him an outside shot at discussion IMO

3. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny that you mention Luzenac because I just read this article on ESPN about them with extensive quotes from Westberg. :thumbsup:

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/11712?cc=5901

4. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to be fair.......Luzenac when googled looks like a dream town. Hes got a great thing going on, soccer is just icing on the cake. Thats the kind of place you can hike all day and not get tired of it.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/2014/03/players-eyeing-roster.html

Why wasn't I told that Seitz is making his case? :cool:

7. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nick Rimando is a good GK, but he is awful in the air. Every time the USA gives up a set piece with him in the net, its a nervous time. There is nothing he can do about that weakness in his game though. I just wish he was a little taller.

CTS26 and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  9. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, they are better now, but that isn't really the point. Right now, Kennedy and Clark are competing with Howard, Guzan, and Rimando. If the unthinkable happens and Howard, Guzan and Rimando were all unavailable this summer, I have no doubt that Kennedy (or Freidel) would be called in for the World Cup. The question when comparing them to Hamid and Johnson is who will be better in 2018 (to backup Guzan) and 2022 (as a possible starter)? Considering their ages, it is understandable why Hamid and Johnson are being given looks for the future over them.

beamish and xbhaskarx repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seitz is great both on and off the field. i'd love to see him play for the usmnt. but the reasons are more for off-the-field stuff. the guys we have are simply better keepers

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    currently yes, but Seitz for me has been one of the top performing MLS keepers in this young season. MacMath too for that matter. Irwin keeps going strong continuing his great story as well. even Robles has had a nice MLS year so far

in the constant revolving door for who is number four...... Seitz, MacMath, Robles, Irwin, Hall, Johnson (yes, intentionally leaving out Hamid)

And Mr. Westberg was officially promoted with Luzenac, hes back up to Ligue 2

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Howard and Guzan definitely are. Both are playing really well right now.

After that its Rimando................followed by a crapshoot.

Seitzy is playing so well right now that's keeping the Peruvian national team keeper on the bench. Chris has been around so long that we forget he's only 27 years old.

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly, and that is really when a GK really starts coming into his own. Hes at the tail end of it, but he is there nonetheless. hes not an old guy by any means. 27 is young for a starting gk, or at least average.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

Here is the radar. None of those dots represent Westberg.

16. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey once a USYNTer always a USYNTer

17. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Los Angeles Galaxy just had their open tryouts and are excited about this 6'2" 15 year old goalkeeper.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sueno/news...-has-la-galaxy-scouts-raving-ahead-final-comp

“He's a complete goalkeeper,” former Mexican star Martín Zuñíga, Allstate's Sueño MLS ambassador, who is working with the 'keepers during the competition, raved to MLSsoccer.com. “He's got good reactions, good quickness, makes good decisions, has good agility, organizes very well. He has a high ceiling, a lot of potential, and we feel with some work he'll be able to become a very good goalkeeper down the road.”

“He stood out just with aggressiveness in the box,” said Paul Soufl, a former pro and one of the scouts from the Galaxy's camps and clinics department. “You could tell he owned the box. The other 'keepers, they had different sets of skills. Some are good shot-stoppers but didn't control the box, others are good on crosses but couldn't block the shots -- didn't get down, didn't have good hands.

"We just thought as a 'keeper, you need to own that box and you need to have confidence in your defenders, that you're either staying away or you're coming and getting [the ball], and they don't think twice. We thought he did a great job of controlling the box.”

Either this:

[​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]

Commanding and courageous . .

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Brian's article today with Cody Cropper:

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/cody-cropper-21-gets-to-train-with-the-big-boys

[​IMG]

U.S. youth technical director Tab Ramos has already said that he hopes that the U.S. U-21 team will play games in Europe this fall, and for Cropper that will likely be his next step in international play. While he admits that he is simply focused on this current camp and beginning the preseason strong with Southampton, he does understand that he is carrying on the tradition of quality—and world-respected—American goalkeepers.

“I have to be patient,” Cropper said. “I have to keep working hard and do what I’m doing.”

Alexisonfire and deuteronomy repped this.
  19. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    The GK situation gets interesting now. Once Guzan becomes the starter (whenever that is), I don't see Howard sticking around as his backup. I see him stepping aside and only returning if Guzan gets injured or struggles.

What does the depth chart look like after that? We've seen Howard and Guzan with the full squad and Rimando has been the MLS GK of choice. Johnson and Hamid have been the developmental guys. We haven't seen many others considered.

Cropper might be a prospect for the future, but I don't see Klinsmann giving him a serious look without club playing time. Therefore, the #2 GK likely comes from MLS. Who are the most likely candidates? Is Sean Johnson the guy right now? I think we might start seeing Klinsmann giving more MLS keepers chances moving forward.

Who does everyone else like?

20. Alexisonfire

Alexisonfire Member

Jun 30, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hes even got a receding hairline going on already haha.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tally Hall
    Clint Irwin
    Dan Kennedy (maybe a b team appearance or two. Not that he isn't good enough, just a little long in tooth to start getting caps IMO.)
    Sean Johnson
    Cody Cropper

I these guys will occupy the #2 and #3 spots for the next cycle.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  22. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Hall has fallen off in the last year or so and doesn't look like the same keeper to me. Way too prone to mistakes and has positioning problems.

xbhaskarx and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  23. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be interested to see when Zack Steffen turns pro. He has a lot of hype around him and I'd like to see what it is all about.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irwin and Kennedy are the biggest shouts for me in MLS right now. Ill be pretty disappointed if we see either Sean Johnson or Bill Hamid for awhile, they just dont got it right now. Im not sure if the later ever will.

Im hoping when Edwards comes through the draft this year and when Bingham becomes a starter next year they enter conversation, the cycle is young, the cycle is long, but Im mighty scared by the young gk pool we got. Might as well go with the elder journeymen Irwin and Kennedy.