Who Is The Greatest Dribbler Ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dearman, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Greatest Dribbler Ever

1. Garrincha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maradona

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. George Best

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ronaldo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Messi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Impossible to know

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You need to marry that girl! :D

2. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Marriage and commitment scare me !! But i know what you mean ! Lol

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's a good idea, more discussion on these great players instead of the usual Ronaldo fanboyism.

@greatstriker11

@Jaweirdo - big countries like Brazil and Mexico have little need to associate themselves within a group. Even much smaller Argentina is very different from the rest of Spanish speaking countries in lingo, customs, culture, etc. and hardly include themselves as part of the larger diaspora. The "Latino" identification is mostly consciously used by the diaspora in the USA, western Europe, Asian Dragons, than at home.

As for the Guyanas, they are ethnically and culturally closer to Trinidad, Antigua, and other West Indies islands than they are to the Spanish-speaking nations of South America, or to Brazil. Their demographic miscegenation of West African and Indian sub-continent groups is very unique anywhere in the world, so it's understandable they would prefer to identify with one another. Not to mention in plain distance the Caribbean islands are much closer to them than Bolivia or Paraguay would be.

giles varley repped this.
  4. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ask any Argentine what ethnicity they are and they will proudly but doubtfully claim to be Italians, hahaha!

But this is not limited to Latin Americans since in the US, white people will claim to be Irish or Italian. While most of case it isn't true at all. I mean those who claim to be German or Dutch ignore the fact that their German ancestors came to the new world 300 years ago and interbreeding between other ethnicity already washed out their original roots. Having a German or Dutch surname won't make you one! How many blacks in the states have french creole surnames, does that make them French?

I mean I was born in Holland of Spanish parents, will that make me Dutch or Spanish? I say I am a mixed race person with multi ethnic roots. That's what i tell people here. Even the Royal family in Holland is mixed German-Dutch.

Pipiolo repped this.
  5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    wow who you think you are? who cares of what you think ... minority

My post is to show Romario's thought of the best players in his mind for everone here , who (even YOU ) might not know ... and of course Ronaldo is ALWAYS THERE, and of course Pele is never there - That;s ALL

6. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [who (even YOU ) might not know]???

I heard different versions from Romario's all time best selection for many years already. Every time Romario is asked by reporters to name his best team he always changes the list slightly a bit. But Ronaldo, Laudrup and Santana are never dropped. One thing you need to know is that the little man is extremely fickle in whatever he states. No one word is reliable coming from Romario. Fickle is the wind blows. So this poster of him is already outdated in Romario's standards. He probably has a different view already on who's what in his head.

So your post above is nothing special nor news for me (and probably the rest here) But thanks anyway for the effort.

Minority? It doesn't bother me to be among minority. I was never good at following but leading!

By the way on Messi topic you are clearly among minority! I hope you realised that.

Jaweirdo and Pipiolo repped this.
  7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    but that one was most recent (2010) and was "officially" printed in Placar magazine = recorded - he can not change after ...

For example, in his best days 90's, Romario thought he was the best! But by 2010, He accepted Pele Maradona ABOVE him

8. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bullshit Romario never thought of himself to be better then Pele ever. That is you making up story again.

But he thought of himself to be better than Maradona, and still does from time to time. Personally I do not agree with this view but that is him and got nothing to do with me.

Two weeks ago, Romario gave his views in a interview which can be seen on youtube. He stated that Maradona was the most technical player he had ever seen. So you see how he can change his views from then and now.

Whatever placar published can be replaced. And Placar herself has published many posters superseding the previous one so it is rubbish what you saying here. And since when is Placar to be taken as the word of God. Placar is not the only magazine on football. There are many serious magazines out there publishing the same kind of stuff.

I do not need Placar to tell me what to think or believe in. I got my own eyes and brains to watch a full match and spot a good game. Unlike you who need support from magazines and the opinion of the majority, I construct my own knowledge and experience of football by my own reason. I will never subscribe to views held by the majority simply to be accepted in a group. Peer pressure and social control is what i disdain the most.

In the end of the day, I have seen both player (R9 & R110 play life in football stadium and I have witness both for over 20 years now. I know who 's what and do not need Placar to tell me who's what. Placar is for those who cannot think for themselves.

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #3134 JamesBH11, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    BS is you (Not even close to a Brazil fan) but more so called Romario's fan boy but know NOTHING of him- I wonder even you know a few things of Holland football? LOL

For Holland you can learn from Puck
    But PLEASE never ever get comment or THINK you know about Brazil football!

===========================================

right after WC94 glory, and followed his unsuccessful with Valencia, Romario was coming back to Brazil in 2000's for 2 missions:
    1- "When I was born, God pointed at me and said “That’s the man" (as who is best player)

2- "Pele won WC, and I also did. Pele scored 1000 goals in Brazil, and I will pursuit that in Brazil"

10. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    R9 nothing but marketing?

2-time Fifa player of the year before age 21!
    establishing a barca record in his first and only season (age 20) without the need of xavi and iniesta!
    47 goals in 49 games!

Romario never scored more than 30 goals in holland (league) R9 in his first season scored 30 goals in 33 games!
    Romario was a superb finisher/striker, no doubt!
    Ronaldo is one of the top 5-10 footballers of all-time…now that's a big difference!

11. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Romario has many more top scorer titles than Ronaldo. Seems like however many goals Ronaldo would score, there was always someone else who would beat him with more goals.

Ronaldo is nowhere near the top five footballers of all time, and would only squeezed in at #10. If Messi wins the WC with a great performance, he can kiss goodbye to a top ten ranking.

Maradona
    Pele
    DiStefano
    Puskas
    Cruyff
    Garrincha
    Eusebio
    Beckenbauer
    Best
    Platini/Zico/Ronaldo/Zidane/Van Basten/Romario/Baggio

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    wrong, Ronaldo scored more in legaues of Brazil Holland and Spain then Romario ever could PERIOD

13. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You are by far the dumbest member on bigsoccer.com

The tone in your writings above shows how frustrated you have become having to lose every single argument. Yes, you have lost arguing with us since you still have to produce a single piece of hard evidence backing your claims. Every time you state something it has been refuted and debunked by us for over a year now. And that frustrates you. Now you're showing signs of being upset.

Saying that I know nothing about Dutch football is only shows how frustrated you are with this debate. You need to see a counsellor mate. You've got serious mental problems. I can read it between your lines. No offence but I am worried about your mental state.

Having said that, for over a year now I am still waiting from you to offer hard evidence to back your views. Cause haven't yet. All you've done and still are doing is making noise waste a lot of space with those posters of yours. When are you going to make real contributions to this forum without waving the fanboy flag?

You can't just write normally like anyone else, you have to use caps lock and bold capital. And this shows that you are suffering from insecurity disorder. That's kind of mental illness linked to people with lack of self confidence. You can't just say it...you have to shout loud to be noticed.

Now go back to your playstation and cool down mate. Cause you seem to be very unstable.

14. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA

Club Titles:

Taça Divisões de Base São Cristóvão (1) - São Cristóvão 1991
    South American Cadet Championship (1) - 1992
    Minas Gerais State League: 1993
    Brazilian Cup (2) - Cruzeiro 93 & Corinthians 09
    Campeonato Mineiro '94 - Cruzeiro. - Mineiro Championship with Cruzeiro.
    Netherlands Cup - PSV 96
    Spanish Super Cup (2)- Barcelona 96, Real Madrid 2003.
    Copa Del Rey/ Spanish Cup - Barcelona 97
    Cup Winners Cup - Barcelona 97
    UEFA Cup - Inter 98
    Tim Trophy - Inter 02
    Trofeo Joan Gamper (1): Barcelona 96.
    Trofeo Birra Moretti Cup (2): Inter 01, 02.
    Intercontinental Cup - Real Madrid 02
    Championship of Spain La Liga (2) - Real Madrid 03 & 07.
    Santiago Bernabéu Trophy (3): 2003, 2005, 2006
    Naranja Cup of Valencia (Spain) (1): 2003 Real Madrid
    Memorial Jesús Gil Trophy (1): 2005 Real Madrid
    Xango Cup (1): 2006 Real Madrid
    Trofeo Luigi Berlusconi (1): Milan 2007
    UEFA Super Cup (1): Milan 2007
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2007
    Taça dos Invictos (1): 2009 Corinthians (oferecida pela Federação Paulista de Futebol)
    Campeão Paulista (1): 2009 Corinthians

Selecao Titles:

Campeonato COMMEBOL Sub-16. - Commebol Sub-16 Championship. - Brazil 1991.
    South American Championship U-19 - Brazil 1993
    UMBRO Cup - Brazil 1995.
    World cup (2) - Brazil 1994, 2002.
    Copa America (2) - Brazil 1997, 1999.
    Confederations Cup - Brazil 1997.
    Bronze medalist with Brazil at the Olympic Tournament (1996).

Personal Awards:

Ballon D' Or (2) - 1997, 2002.
    FIFA Player of the year (3) - 1996, 1997, 2002.
    Player of the year "World Soccer Award" (3) - 1996, 1997, 2002.
    Onze D' Or/Eleven of gold (2) - 1997, 2002.
    UEFA European Player of the Year (1) - 1998.

UEFA Best Striker of the Year (1) - 1998.
    IFFHS' World' S Signal Goal Scorer of the Year (1) - 1997.
    Rec.sport.soccer Player of the Year Award (3) : 1996, 1997, 2002.
    Better hope evolving/moving in Europe "The Award Cheer/The Bravo Awards" (2) -1997, 1998.
    European gold shoe (1) - 1997 (34 goals).
    Rey del Fútbol de Europa (newspaper El País) (2) - 1996, 1997.
    Best foreign player of the championship of Spain (2) - 1997, 2003.
    Top Scorer of the championship of the Netherlands (1) - 1995.
    Top Scorer of the championship of Spain (2) - 1997, 2004.
    Italian League Player of the Year (1) - 1998.
    Italian League Foreign Player of the Year (1) - 1998.
    Super Copa Top scorer (1) - 1994.
    Mineiro Championship Top scorer (1) - 1994.
    FIFA World Cup Golden Ball/MVP (1) - 1998.
    Top Scorer of WC (1) - 2002 "8 goals".
    Top Scorer of Copa America (1) - 1999 "5 goals".

Best Player of the Copa America (1) - 1997

Nike Statue in honor of Ronaldo outside their headquarters (1) - 1998
    World Sports Awards "Lareus" (2) - 2003.
    'Personalidad Extranjera del Año' de la BBC/ BBC's Foreign Personality of the Year (1) - 2002.
    Top sportsman of the year "Reuters Magazine" (1): 2002
    Gran Premio de la Academia Francesa de los Deportes (1) - 2002 (Ronaldo became the only second footballer to win this award the first one was PELE in 1970).
    el premio Príncipe de Asturias de los Deportes concedido a la selección de Brasil en pleno (1) - For the first time, this award was given to a FOOTBALL Team "The Brazilian National team of 2002"!!!
    MVP of the Intercontinental Final (1) - 2002.
    Best Male Soccer Player of the Year ESPY Award (1) - 2003.
    El Trofeo Comunidad Iberoamericana, uno de los Premios Nacionales del Deporte (1) - 2004.
    G.Q. Magazine Man of the Year Award (1) - 2004.
    Premio Gredos (1) - 2005.
    Top Scorer of South American WC Qualifiers (1) - 10 goals.
    "Only Zico and Romario have scored more goals than him (11)".
    La Liga's All-Time Brazilian Top Scorer (117) goals. (115 was the record).
    el Premio Brasil 2005 en la categoría Deporte y Cultura que ha concedido la Cámara de Comercio Brasil-España (1) - 2005
    elegido el hombre más elegante de Brasil, según la revista "Istoé Gente" (1) 2005.
    receives the Number 1 Volunteer Diploma from Luis Fernando Hernandes, president of Brazil's Red Cross, during a ceremony at the Red Cross headquarters in Rio de Janeiro - (1) 2005
    Bronze Shoe WC 2006
    All-Time South American WC Top Scorer
    All-Time WC Top Scorer 15 goals
    2nd All-Time Brazilian Top Scorer (62 goals).
    Golden Foot (1) - 2006.
    Campeonato Sudamericano sub-17 Top Scorer 8 goals (1993)
    Campeonato Mineiro/Cruzeiro Top Scorer 22 goals (1994)

Oscar del calcio AIC 2007 (1): Campione dei campioni Award (2007)

Premio Gianni Brera 2007 (1) : AC MILAN Deportivo del año 2007

Il Pirata d'Oro 1998 (1) Inter Milan 1998

Brazilian Football Museum Hall of Fame : 2008 (Inducted into the Brazilian Hall of Fame)

FES Key to the City Award (1) 2008 : Ronaldo’s Friends vs Zidane’s Friends.

O prêmio de craque do Campeonato Paulista 2009 (1): Corinthians 2009.

I.R.E.O (Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Organization) IREO Renewable Energy Award (1) 2009: IREO Renewable Energy Award is a global awards program designed to recognize those at the forefront of energy innovation.

O Fenômeno recebeu uma placa do presidente do Cruzeiro, Zezé Perrella & Colocou os pés na calçada da fama do Mineirão (1) 2009.
    Minutos antes do jogo entre Avaí e Corinthians (Atacante do Corinthians é homenageado pela diretoria do clube catarinense no estádio onde marcou o seu primeiro gol pela seleção), em Florianópolis, o atacante Ronaldo deixou a marca dos seus pés na calçada da fama da Ressacada (1) 2009.
    'Brasileiro do Ano' (1) 2009 - Jogador recebe prêmio de 'Brasileiro do Ano'
    Goal.com - Striker of the decade award (1) - 2010
    Goal.com - Player of the decade award (1) - 2010
    Escolhido como 'craque superação' pela entidade Assembleia Legislativa de São Paulo (1) - 2010
    Título de cidadão paulistano da Câmara Municipal/Title of citizen of São Paulo City Hall (1) - 2010
    Medalha do Mérito Esportivo (1) - 2011
    Marca Leyenda (1) - 2011
    Machimbarrena y Aranguren Statue (1) - 2011
    CBF Ceremony Homage /Golden Watch in honor of his legacy (1) - 2011
    2 Golden Shoes Nike Homage/Replica of First and Last (Mercurial Style) football shoe he wore as a professional (1) – 2011

Ronaldo foi nomeado patrono do Centro Olimpico de Treinamento e Pesquisa de Sao Paulo (1) - 2011
    Ronaldo - Recebeu Certificado do Membro Voluntario do Amigo do Esporte (AME) no Centro Olimpico (1) - 2011
    Ronaldo Fenômeno é homenageado pelo Corinthians com pintura no muro do CT (1) - 2012
    Prêmio João Havelange de Excelência e Legado (1) - 2012
    Homenageado, Ronaldo recebe camisa 9 do PSG & Award in recognition of his career (1) - 2013

15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You are a typical FAN BOY - who often couldnot come up with clean debate but SWEAR is YOUR BESTS.

NO MORE with you

16. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    R9 in his prime was unstoppable and a match winner!
    I would definitely take him over Di Stefano, Puskas, Cruyff, and Messi!
    R9 was a one-ma wrecking crew!

Only Pele and Maradona were above him!

17. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Romario scored 30 goals in 33 games in his first season with Barca and won La Liga.

mate i have got no quarrel with you and if you read my and James's post back to a full year you will notice why my comment on marketing boy. I didn't say that he was a marketing boy either. Read the words carefully before jumping to conclusions. I asked James if it was appropriate to call R9 a marketing boy, it was a question, not a statement! A response to James for claiming false things here out of frustration for losing an old argument.

And to claim Ronaldo to be top 5- 10 all times is plain your and James view. And bare no evidence whatsoever.

Anyone could make a case for Ronaldo, Romario, Baggio, VanBasten, and many other great players and say 5 -10 top all times. It's all bullshit fanboyism.

Nothing personal mate.

leadleader and Dagoods repped this.
  18. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You see there you have your delusional bubble again.

Can you show me a list with all Ronaldo's goals in Brazil, Holland, Spain and Italy? We can make comparison.

You are facing a slippery slope I warn you!

Romario is officially the second highest top scorer in history of football. here is the source!

http://www.rsssf.com/players/prolific.html

So please take your words and false claims back.

Pipiolo repped this.
  19. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    No evidence? He established records/broke records even at such an early age.
    And he continued to win more trophies (WC included) after numerous knee surgeries!

That's the greatness of Ronaldo. R9 in his prime is the closest thing to Maradona, I'm not making this up…PAOLO MALDINI AGREES and said it himself. As a matter of fact, Cannavaro and Nesta (they played against prime Messi and prime R9) consider R9 their deadliest foe!

R9 was a ST capable of dribbling like a winger, he also possessed good vision and football brains!
    He is without a doubt the greatest ST of all-time!

20. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England

All the above are individual titles with the exception of WC and Brazils NT stunts. In league football the only real title that Ronaldo won was La Liga 2003 and UEFA Cup, and 3 times top scorer. The only real titles that matter.

Romario won 8 Top scorer titles of which 2 were UCL. Beat that shit!

Pipiolo repped this.
  21. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Romario was also a mtach winner in his prime. In fact Romario was a match winner throughout his entire career not only prime.

To put Ronaldo close to Pele and Maradona is worth being considered for a pro-bono to see the psychiatrist mate.

You guys need help. Serious!

@Pipiolo

Jaweirdo and leadleader repped this.
  22. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You mean like swearing to you as a response to you calling us names right?

Besides being unsporting you are a big cheater and a liar!

23. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yes, and so did Romario and Baggio and many other names.

You guys are fixed on one single player. Football has many names worth of top 10 or whatever.

The truth about Ronaldo is that in the end of the day he only won one single league title. La Liga 2003. Romario won 6 league titles! 6!!! So where is the reasoning in all this?

Jaweirdo and Pipiolo repped this.
  24. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You just joined this year long debate now. This debate has been going for ages. And all your points made above were already debunked by many members who disagreed with your points above long ago. Ronaldo=Maradona? Because Maldini said so? Maldini never ever stated such thing! I know for people have already posted maldini's statement on Ronaldo and he never said that.

Cruyff, Bobby Robson, Baggio, and many more have also said great things about Romario. So what?

I have never said that R9 wasn't an all time great, where did you get that?

If you don't know what this debate is all about mate you better read back how it got started in the first place. You got our debate confused.

25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    so funny ... for some fan boys'
    So a Xavi with 7 x ligas + 3 UCL >>>>> Baggio and romario with a few leagues + ZERO UCL?
    So a Seedorf with 6 leagues +4UCL >>>>>> Baggio and Romario?

so misinfo and blind fact to the max ....