Atlanta MLS team name 3.0 suggestions?

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Alabama Soccer

May 28, 2008
    Montgomery, AL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This!

2. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be happy with any of the following...

Atlanta F.C.
    Atlanta S.C.
    F.C. Atlanta.
    S.C. Atlanta.
    (The above, with Legion, Phoenix or Firebirds as the nickname, unofficially or officially). Atlanta Firebirds, Atlanta Phoenix.

If they go with Phoenix or Firebirds, it will stick with the bird theme for Atlanta teams. Except the Braves, which Ive always thought they should keep the name and adopt an Eagle for their mascot.

I would not like it if they chose Locomotives, it sounds to minor league-ish. To silly in my opinion.

I still prefer Legion(ROME), though.

Attached Files:

3. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I want it to be a soccer club and not a football club I believe it will be ___ F.C. Simply because of that state to our east being S.C. Which us the same reason we won't have Phoenix in out name. Simple brand clarity. Don't want to get confused with another part of the country

4. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not make a bigger geographic play given there isn't another MLS team within a 400 mile radius of Atlanta. I suggest the Georgia Gunners. The colors work and the mascot will be great. I can picture General Arthur Blank firing a cannon after every goal. Will make Timber Joey's chainsaw look like a sweet Georgia peach. atlgun.jpg

5. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta Falcons !!

Can someone explain me the rivalry between OHIO VS GEORGIA in Sports ? ( Soccer, Columbus vs Atlanta ) please

6. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There isn't one. I think you are referring to the image a Columbus supports group tweeted out welcoming Atlanta to MLS. It was a picture of General Sherman who was born just outside of Columbus and burned the city Atlanta back in the Civil War. I thought it was well played, but some may have been offended.

7. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. thnkucomeagain

thnkucomeagain Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Atlanta Athletic would be my bet

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're not going to have Atlanta in the team name then you can forget it...

Also, Engine Room? Come on now...

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want a copycat. That's why I hate Atlanta FC.

Secondly, it is important for the team name to be called Atlanta. Georgia ____ will not work because it is more likely to alienate fans from Alabama, Carolinas, and Tennessee.

11. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How you figure that? I'm from Nashville and would prefer the team embrace the region. I'd love it to be called Georgia. As for a copycat - would you be happy if they made a partnership with Arsenal? Maybe something stronger than Real Salt Lake. It certainly is something to consider. It's want the Titans did here and I'm not sure why they aren't the Denver Rapids in MLS, but it probably was thinking along the same line.

12. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It would be cool if it were the Atlanta Artillery. But all the Yankees who thought the war criminal was funny would be up in arms.

13. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    Really? No love for Engine Room? Well, there's no accounting for taste. You're probably right about including "Atlanta" in the name" Although "King's City" is probably my favorite....King's City AFC?....nahh.

Atlanta Firebirds is still got to be the odds on favorite. Blank will want something that has a Falcons connect.

14. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Chattahoochee FC

Chattahoochee River FC

15. ATLNewsDog01

ATLNewsDog01 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Winder, GA
    A lot of people don't buy my points on clarity. If you're a guy naming a team, that's one thing. If you just spent $70 million on a team and have to get fans in the seats, you really don't want to confuse or offend your potential customers. That's why I think Phoenix won't be part of the name. I also think Resurgens is out because there are a bunch of other companies named that.

I'm also not naive enough to think that my pick from like five years ago, Terminus FC, would work. Why? The city of Atlanta isn't going to like that. Remember the stink about the Metrostars? Atlanta is investing in this team, so the city name will be in there. I still think all things considered that Atlanta Firebirds is the way to go.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  16. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Not that I have any standing here, but you have an opportunity for something really unique.

Rejuvens FC
    Atalnta, Georgia, USA
    The Firebirds

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    While Bravo didn't use the most genteel way of saying it, he's correct in that it's almost imperative the name Atlanta be featured. This is as much a branding move for Blank's home town as it is a business venture, and everyone involve is trying to raise the profile of this city a little higher. They recognize this is a global sport and the city is striving to keep pace with the likes of Dallas and San Francisco as a hub worthy of international business, and creating a soccer team is one way they're trying to strengthen that perception.

Using Georgia or some other moniker might be more endearing to southerners, but the aim of this all is to inch the brand of Atlanta above being just a southern city.

18. Roach

Roach Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like Atlanta SC... Simple and clean. Themes, mascots, nicknames,chants etc... can come about organically through SG's.... Has to be Atlanta though.
    I'm a long time MLS supporter and partial to DCU living in North Carolina at the moment. So excited for Atlanta and surrounding areas. Hopefully they'll offer a "mini" season tix plan. I'll definitely be coming in for a hand full of home matches.

Tom Collingsworth and ArsenalACE repped this.
  19. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It's a good thing that people outside the South don't believe that Atlanta will get fans. Here is a fan in N.C.

20. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you. It's a bit farther drive for me, but my sister lives in Atlanta, so I can use visiting as an excuse to come down.

21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more that I think about it, the more I like Atlanta Vanguard.

It's basically a middle finger to all the haters and saying we are going to be at the forefront of a winning tradition, and the flagship franchise for the league.

I can definitely tell, while Orlando and Miami are going to be our geographic rivals, it's going to be fun facing off against each team in the league.... Especially Columbus.

22. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    F@$k the War Criminals!!!

23. Atlanta-manunited

Sep 29, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I would love Atlanta Kings FC or Atlanta Warriors FC. Kings would be an homage to the civil rights era. Warriors would honor the state's strong military ties and it's history in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. Simple clean and cool. Kings FC or Warrior FC rolls off the tongue for shorthand.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I did a little research...

I asked some friends what name they like best for a MLS team in Atlanta... Some are serious soccer fans, but others would consider themselves more casual fans.

I asked about Legion, Locomotive, Olympic, Phoenix, Firebirds, and then threw in some other contenders in there: athletic, inter, vanguard, atlas, Apollo, empire, warriors, alliance, crossroads, and FC.

And Atlanta Empire seemed to be the odds on favorite. Alliance was also popular. Thankfully, inter was not popular as people confused it with enter Atlanta... And FC was always the most unpopular among people who would be casual fans. Everyone said, exactly what I though, huh? What's that? Oh that's stupid.

But the point is that could Atlanta Empire be a sleeper pick? It's Atlanta specific, Georgia being the empire state of south, passes the American soccer name style, unites the southern region, and is a clean name that will be attractive to common fans... Which is important. Also, it works in well with the Terminus Legion theme.

Atlanta Empire FC. Everyone wins. American soccer fans will call the team Empire but euro fans will be able to have their precious FC snuck in there. I think we might have a homerun.