2014 MLS Referee Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Slaskwroclaw18, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so very glad we have you to butt in with ignorant, sarcastic comments that add absolutely nothing to the discussion at hand.

2. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought the red to be a bit harsh, but Elfath had a great view of it. SFP in his eyes.

[​IMG]

3. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using SketchUp I determined he's onside by roughly a foot. At the time that this capture is taken he is roughly even.

Attached Files:

bwidell repped this.
  4. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to wonder if the Seattle player having his foot (mostly?) planted played a part here, because otherwise Red definitely seems pretty harsh. To my untrained eyes at least.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. When you slow it down, the case for yellow is there. But in real-time, you can really hear and almost feel the amount of force that was in the tackle. You might even say there was an "excessive" amount of force.

ChelseaSounder and jarbitro repped this.
  6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this doesn't look good for Guzman.

7. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The deal though is that the pool reporter is supposed to be ID'd before the game, with his info on the wall in the locker room. This is to keep just any reporter--but especially a home town reporter--who is hacked about a call coming to the ref's locker room for answers. And the home town rep showing him a picture of the form on his cell phone obviously doesn't count as being posted on the wall.
    I bet--and I think its a safe bet--that Guzman called someone from PRO to ask about what to do with the question. I seriously doubt he ignored it on his own initiative. I"m not trying to defend his call (obviously) but the reporter can't declare himself to be the pool reporter in the 83rd minute of the game.

robmag repped this.
  8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But that excuse stinks from 100s of miles away.

"I'm sorry but you only put your first and last name on your test paper. You omitted your middle name, your score on this test is a Zero." :rolleyes:

9. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Regardless of who decided not to address the question, I hope it's clear what a terrible idea that is.

JasonMa repped this.
  10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to CLB/DC

I'm OK with Gonzalez only getting yellow. I don't agree with it, but I understand. Parkhurst (and credit to him for hustling to make this the case) was closing quickly, and he was close enough to put just a little bit of doubt in the referee's mind. Gonzo was the LAST man, but he wasn't the ONLY man.

It's red for me, but it's not as bad of a miss as it's going to be described to be.

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by the way, I really don't like that the referee is being blamed for the massive epidemic of team stupidity there.

Yes, it was taking frustratingly long for the decision to be made. But when the skirmish started, he was reaching into his pocket for his card. The decision was coming.

DC was trying to spot the ball for a penalty kick. It was never going to be that way. But clearly, play was not going to restart right away anyway, because the referee was still sorting things out. So I just don't understand the reaction of the Columbus players. In addition to the fact that it's not their ball, what's the harm if it does sit at the penalty spot for a few seconds before the referee straightens things out? And for DC, it's not like there's a quick restart penalty kick option. Let Columbus screw around with it and let the ref straighten it out later.

Basically, I don't know what anyone in that skirmish thought they were going to gain.

12. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not supposed to read intent or get inside the heads of the players when we make decisions. But, to be really good referees, we do sort of have to do those things to understand why certain events transpire.
    For me, this one is easy. The Columbus players fully expected Gonzalez to get sent off. By messing around with the ball and provoking a confrontation, perhaps they can prompt a DC player to do something stupid enough to make it 10v10.

You're absolutely right. They know it's not their ball. But that doesn't make them all suddenly stupid and mean their actions have no purpose. They can use the ball to provoke a confrontation. Broken record time for me, but this is another reason why the referee should secure or be in immediate proximity to the ball for any potential prolonged stoppage.

Bootsy Collins and shawn12011 repped this.
  13. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    From Wash Post's Steve Geoff's tweet:

@SoccerInsider: On DCU-Columbus play, "This is a clear case of DOGSO," PRO training & development manager Paul Rejer tells me #mls

shawn12011 repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Guzman has had a rough couple of weeks.

15. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was surprised the Columbus keeper wasn't cautioned for instigating the confrontation. He reached almost between the DC players legs to provoke a response. That's unsporting to me.

16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DisCom on line two...

17. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I've never quite figured out why Guzman got a FIFA badge in the first place over guys like Elfath or Villarreal.

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It goes to my point that the PSRA refs are no better than the third tier "scabs" that we saw the first two weeks. I kept hearing just how good the union guys were and they are making very obvious mistakes, with seemingly little accountability.

And then someone will chime in with the "well you never reffed and you don't notice all of these subtle things, blah, blah, blah, LOTG , etc.". What I notice is the refs butchering calls and games - which everyone notices.

Blunt reality is the MLS refs are not very good as a group and are not improving.

19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I don't get.

I understand why Guzman may have thought yellow - Michael Parkhurst WAS closing. Ok, fine.

But the reason he took so long to produce the card was because, presumably, he was waiting for help from his assistant, who would have had a better view of where Parkhurst was in the play. The AR seemed to have a pretty good POV -- how did he come up with yellow?

HeyDude repped this.
  20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I expect we will never know.

21. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    You should check out the EPL referee thread. Some of the best refs in the world work the EPL and they've had some mystifying games of late.

I suspect fan complaints about their refs are interchangeable for any league in the world except for who they point to as the example of good refs.

22. CKRef22

CKRef22 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Washington state
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here's one of his posts on another forum.

"It wasn't excessive. Just a ref with a small dick trying to make his mark on the game"

Just a bitter Houston fan that can't get over the fact his team makes stupid decisions.

23. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    And nobody in that forum seemed to have an issue with it. I'm glad we're in a forum with a much higher level of discourse, where people who threaten to derail discussion are dealt with properly.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What makes you say the scabs were "third tier"? Two were foreign FIFA refs who moved to the U.S. (and are doing games post-lockout), two were current FIFAs for another federations, and a fifth was a former MLS referee.

Say what you want, but PRO worked very hard to make sure the men in the middle of the field had experience during the lockout.

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut up, jerkface. :)