2014 NASL ATTENDANCE - SPRING SEASON

Discussion in 'NASL' started by brentgoulet, Apr 12, 2014.

1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    10,421 at Michael Carroll Stadium :thumbsup:

2. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #52 Darkwing McQuack, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    5,000 in Atlanta
    4,007 in Carolina
    4,399 in Edmonton

3. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good numbers, especially Edmonton!

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    36443 total / 5 = 7288.6

27284 / 5 = 5456.8

6,372.7 so far for the average if my calculations are correct.

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  6. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Both Canadian teams are packed them in. FCE usprading on and off the field.
    Fury sold out tiny temp stadiam at Carleton will be intersted to see how things go at TD Place.

Tampa Bay and Indy play in front of packed houses two weeks in a row.

Scorpians carrying into the season sellout type attendances that they saw with high profile Pre season friendlies

Weather in Carolina played a factor.

Really only the strikers home opener was a dissapointment

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Regarding weather, I was glad that it didn't adversely affect Atlanta's numbers. It was raw and blustery all day, but the crowd was still fantastic.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the average will come down as the season goes by, Indy can have all their games at home, and some teams have a max capacity below the current average.

2 attendance numbers to look for are the 5K average (nice round number) and the 5,164 average attendances, which is the highest yearly D2 average from the year 2008.

It would be nice if NASL can break that record this year.

http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?page_id=3822

9. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you take Indy out of the equation, we are still looking at 5285 average attendance.

10. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yes. Tampa Bay attendance should stay high this season with better marketing that has been done including new seating.
    FCE also working hard on and off the field.
    Ottawa should be good as well in Canada once they move into the new stadium.

Atl
    Carolina
    SA
    MINN
    All should continue to be solid as well

11. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very optimistic about what's happening in the NASL this year. I really hope it continues. I hope Ft Laud can bring up their attendance.

12. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Looking around the league for this upcoming weekend, there's should be four good crowds to keep the attendance numbers going on their upward trajectory.

The likely good:
    Ottawa will probably have an attendance vs. Carolina that mirrors what they had last week.
    I would think the Cosmos would have at least 7,000 with San Antonio coming in...probably more.
    Tampa Bay should still have a good number for Atlanta's visit.
    With Minnesota sitting on six points, you'd have to think their home opener will have a bit more buzz around it.

The questionable:
    4,000 in Ft. Lauderdale vs. Indy would be an attendance victory.

14. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Will be intersting to see Ottawa will also be hosting FCE Wed in the first leg of the Voyagers cup play in round. So they will have 3 matches at their temp home in 8 days. Packing the Carleton football stadium for all three games would be a great sign

15. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    That would involve Traffic telling the public in Fort Lauderdale that their team exists.

Smoke & Mirrors and Never Offside repped this.
  16. Never Offside

Never Offside Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just announced a partnership with Miller Lite and will be having a "Dollar Beer" Night for the Indy game. Will that bring more people to the games? Probably some, but its the strategy that worrisome. The easy, cheap way out. Typical Traffic USA. You need to build a fan base, not drunks looking to score. And if your gonna get the drunks, you might as well get the "somewhat smart" ones and offer them Stella.
    I'm thinking 'bout 4G or slightly under.

17. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Guess I have a higher standard. The Cosmos didn't even get close to a sell out, even with the amazing Pele present. The Rowdies, Eddies, and Scorpions all couldn't quite hit the sellout mark for the first match, so close, but no cigar.

Most of those clubs will see run off for ensuing matches. The Railhawks should have done better at the gate for the opener as well.
    You said it the first paragraph why I don't think the D2 season average will be broken. Three clubs play in stadiums with capacity below that mark. One club (Strikers) don't have a prayer of getting close to that number. The Railhawks haven't proven they can be a consistent draw. The Rowdies and Minnesota could be on the way up attendance wise, but there are no guarantees. The Cosmos only filling two thirds of their crib for the opener isn't exactly encouraging.

Guess I just see the glass half empty.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little too early, but I think there's a shot to break 5k.

Look at it this way: to average 5,165, they have to draw a total of 697,275 to the 135 regular-season games.

If everyone held their averages at the moment, they'd draw 661,657. Minnesota hasn't played a home game yet, but they'll have 13 home games and would only have to average 2,739 to get the league to the total.

Now, THAT SAID, obviously, not everybody's going to hold their averages. This is a moving target throughout the season that gets more accurate the farther along we get. Atlanta will almost surely not average 5k unless they're just going to announce 5k every match. But Carolina should do better than a 4,007 average. Edmonton is unlikely to average 4,399 a game. You will likely see Tampa Bay's average drop and I would imagine the Cosmos won't finish at 7,900 a game, either. But Ottawa might (or might not) see a bump in the Fall season at the new yard. (No guarantees on that one, though.)

Right now it bears watching, and it's not a terrible bet to think they could hit 5k given the gains of the last couple of years.

19. leftout1

leftout1 Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan

I guess another way of looking at it is can NASL average an additional 337 people per match versus last year (recap courtesy of your website recap - thanks!)?
    San Antonio Scorpions 6,873
    New York Cosmos 6,859
    Atlanta Silverbacks 4,650
    Carolina RailHawks 4,636
    Minnesota United FC 4,609
    Fort Lauderdale Strikers 4,270
    Tampa Bay Rowdies 4,022
    FC Edmonton 2,301
    NASL TOTAL 4,663

On the plus side, you will have Cosmos for both halves and Indianapolis for the whole year and both should easily exceed the 5K average. Rowdies and Edmonton both are looking at good bets to meet the 337 per game increase. On the downside, Strikers might struggle to meet last year and Ottawa will drag down the average. Quick example like the one below gets you to 5,000 per game, but it's early and time will tell.
    Indianapolis 9.0K
    NY 6.5K
    San Antonia 6.5K
    Carolina 4.5K
    TB Rowdies 5.0K
    Atlanta 4.5K
    Minnesota 4.0K
    Ft. Lauder 3.5K
    Edmonton 3.5K
    Ottawa 3.0K

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All those averages would get them to just over 5k because not all the teams have the same number of home games this year (thanks, split schedule!). Five teams have 14 games, while the others have 13.

With the averages you've laid out above, the league would draw 680,000 for 135 games (5,037 per game).

The magic numbers are 675,000 and 697,275.

The first one results in a 5,000 average, which is a round number that people like. The second results in the highest D2 average ever. Decent shot at it, though.

But not everybody has even played a home game yet, and we'll have to see what happens in another month or so.

21. leftout1

leftout1 Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan

Somethings not adding up right (or I've screwed up my math......) If all the teams hold their current averages for 13 games each (which would not include the 5 extra games due to the split schedule and zero games from MN) the total for those 117 (9 x 13) games would be - 688,909? Here are the current averages (I know I did the math right on these since except for Indy they've all only played one home game...):

Indy 10,735
    San Antonio 7,381
    NY 7,906
    Tampa Bay 7,003
    Atlanta 5,000
    Carolina 4,007
    Edmonton 4,399
    Ft. Lauderdale 3,105
    Ottawa 3,457
    AVG - 9 TEAMS 5,888

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're doing it on a league level. I'm doing the individual teams and adding that. And they aren't all playing the same number of games this year. That's what I'm trying to tell you.

There are only 9 games in the spring season. Some teams have five home games, some have four. And everybody has nine games in the fall season. So five teams have 14 home games and five teams have 13 home games. (And Indianapolis has played TWO home games, not one, the only team to do that so far.)

But going back to your original example:

Team............Games.Average...Total
    Indianapolis.....14....9,000..126,000
    New York.........14....6,500...91,000
    San Antonio......14....6,500...91,000
    Carolina.........13....4,500...58,500
    Tampa Bay........14....5,000...70,000
    Atlanta..........13....4,500...58,500
    Minnesota........13....4,000...52,000
    Fort Lauderdale..13....3,500...45,500
    Edmonton.........13....3,500...45,500
    Ottawa...........14....3,000...42,000
    League..........135..680,000

Your example from a couple of posts ago with rough averages, extrapolated out for each team's number of home games, yields 680,000 and an average of 5,037 per game.

When Minnesota has played its home opener, the calculations get easier and my spreadsheet does them automatically. The nine teams that have played games project to a total of 725,384 in 125 games (a 5,803 average). But it's unlikely they'll all hold their averages.

Again, check back in a few weeks.

VioletCrown repped this.
  23. leftout1

leftout1 Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Thanks and that now makes complete sense. I was going off of your original comment of "If everyone held their averages at the moment, they'd draw 661,657. Minnesota hasn't played a home game yet, but they'll have 13 home games and would only have to average 2,739 to get the league to the total," but it looks like the 661,657 number has now been amended per your most recent post (although you did reference 125 games when I believe it should only be 122), but we all know the averages will mostly likely go down.
    Agreed - best to check back in a few weeks.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the 661,657 should have read "an additional 661,657," my bad.

25. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Marketing is something that NASL teams are taking to another level aligning itself with popular name Spnsors and local TV deals for home games.
    Do the Strikers have their home games televised on a local network