Post-match: Crew vs DC United, Matchday 6

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I meant Grade 8, not Level 8.

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might try yelling at himself first. Directly responsible for the first goal as that whiff was right in front of where I sit. And it's not the first time this season either. He's had some great games this year--but he's also had a couple of stinkers.

3. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Dc have seen us play. They forced us to punt. They stayed compact and made sure there was no gaps between their d and their mid. Again we looked like we had no clue how to breakdown a team that had no interest in attacking with numbers. A draw was probably fair on both teams.

4. SecretWalrus

SecretWalrus Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzo had coverage. I don't think it was a red card.

5. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh. I take that back then :D

6. SecretWalrus

SecretWalrus Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would look handsome in yellow.

7. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I came home and watched the tying score and they had a few shots of 3G being very animated toward DC's bench and perhaps even telling Olsen to F-off. Was beautiful.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point in 2014 we had 1.83 PPG.
    At this point in 2013 we had 1.50 PPG.
    At this point in 2012 we had 1.17 PPG.
    At this point in 2011 we had 1.50 PPG.

By contrast;

At this point in 2014, DCU had 1.33 PPG.
    At this point in 2013, DCU had 0.67 PPG.
    At this point in 2012, DCU had 1.33 PPG.
    at this point in 2011 we had 1.17 PPG.

We're both better teams than we have been recently. DCU is in playoff position, and we're leading the conference. Just saying maybe hold off on the doom and gloom. Btw, here's the current PPG of the teams we've played:

DCU(x): 1.33 PPG.
    Seattle: 1.86 PPG.
    Philly: 1.00 PPG.
    Toronto: 1.50 PPG.
    San Jose: 0.60 PPG.

Average: 1.272 PPG.

Last year at this time, we played:

Chivas USA: 1.67
    Vancouver: 1.33
    San Jose: 1.33
    DCU: 0.67
    Philadelphia: 1.33
    Montreal: 2.17

Average: 1.417 PPG.

We are getting more points by playing weaker opponents. Shit, that doesn't play into my narrative at all.

[​IMG]

chr1st, KCbus and NUFCBayern repped this.
  9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be honest, I'm glad Anor is suspended. At the stadium, I didn't think he did much. I just watched the condensed match on MLS Live this morning, and other than elbowing Franklin in the face and two foot tackling someone late, he did nothing. Other than those two goals against Philly, I can't remember him doing anything really. Meram strikes me as more of a super sub, but he's played well enough to get a start. I like his direct style, that is something we desperately need right now.

Also, perhaps this is what people in Sweden were talking about with Gregg. I remember reading somewhere GB said his offense didn't work cause teams just parked the bus against them. Well, seems people here have figured that out as well. If giving the ball to Francis and Williams and having them cross is Plan B, I'd be worried.

10. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Only caught the second half but one concern I had watching... A couple of times that Trapp would push forward, Tchani would stay even with him or would not tuck in behind to cover that d-mid area. So if Trapp lost the ball quickly or made a bad pass, DC could pass the ball into an open space behind the midfielders where their player could pick it up and be on the run at the defense in a hurry.

We were giving too much of an open space there and that was why a few DC attacks quickly looked dangerous.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  11. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #36 Draghignazzo, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    The biggest difference in our play I have seen since the Seattle game is that our off the ball play has has slowed down, lost a lot of the dynamic movement and has become a lot of the old 2009-2013 stand completely still and motion for the pass with 1-2 defenders on your back or shoulder.

Thing to work on:
    #1 Make runs to open space or get free; if you expect to receive the f-ing ball, MOVE!

#2 Weight passes to go ALL the way to your teammate. (Tchani was the worst but hardly the only offender)

#3 Keep the ball on the ground. We have no one, besides our CBs, that can challenge in the air consistently.

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 Bill Archer, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    It's the same thing once again;

The Crew gives up the center of the pitch in order to dominate "the channels" as some people call them.

So fine. We're the fookin Kings of the Touchlines. Hurrah.

Only problem is, the goal isn't in "the channels" it's in the middle. Where we're not.

Yesterday DC didn't even pretend to mind. We could still be out there running up and down the touchlines with the ball. They didn't care.

Everybody is in love with the term "parking the bus" because it sounds like you know something. And while that's pretty much what Moronto did, it's not what St Joe did and it's not what the Scum did. Ryan Nelson is a troglodite coach who got a lead and then pretended he was Thailand finding themselves a goal up on Brazil with 20 minutes to go.

The Scum didn't park 9 guys in the box, they clogged the middle of the pitch from end to end. It's why we keep losing possession at midfield. It ain't some bus, it's two or three guys filling the middle third of the field everywhere you go.

The advantage to that is that when CBus coughs up the ball you've got a couple guys far enough upfield to go for a quick counter.

And when you've been out coached by Ben Olsen, you suck.

Even the goal we managed happened because Will Trapp, God bless the boy, switched fields COMPLETELY OVER THE TOP OF THE CLOG. Just lofted it completely from one touchline to the other, to a guy who was wide open over there because they were giving it to us. And he took a low percentage shot which went in.

But that's not an offensive plan, it's a desperation shot from someplace on the outskirts of Westerville.

The fact is that if this is Gregggg's offense, it won't work. It's too easy to defend.

Bottom line, nobody - not us, not Barca not Bayern, nobody - can score consistently when you can't move the ball in the middle of the pitch. And the Crew isn't even trying.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm OK with Gonzalez only getting yellow. I don't agree with it, but I understand. Parkhurst (and credit to him for hustling to make this the case) was closing quickly, and he was close enough to put just a little bit of doubt in the referees mind. Gonzo was the LAST man, but he wasn't the ONLY man.

It's red for me, but it's not as bad of a miss as it's going to be described to be.

14. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ref also is to factor in how far the play was from goal and how far the ball was from the attacker's feet. It was a yellow for me. But also, I feel like Johnson took about as much contact as Oduro took when he got carded for simulation. So... I dunno... There's that.

15. sidefoot

sidefoot Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An exciting finish to a terrible Columbus performance. I was sat in front of a bunch of DC fans so it was gratifying to be able to shout them down for that equalizing goal at the end. Comments:

Overall performance: The giveaways were constant and we were lucky to only be punished once. Higuian gave the ball away in a bad spot for the lead up to DC's goal -off day for him. But more problematic was a total lack of players willing to drive forward in the final third, beat a man and get a shot off. Oduro was totally ineffectual.

The yellow on Gonzalez/brawl in the net: Partially the ref's fault for farting around rather than showing the card and being done with it. He took way too long to think about it and then chit-chatted with the linesman for ages. But really, Gonzalez was the last man. Either he brings Johnson down and it's a red for Gonzalez, or Johnson dived and it's a yellow for Johnson. Cautioning Gonzalez doesn't make any sense at all. I think It was probably a foul on Johnson but I also think Johnson flopped horribly. Close call in the end but the ref duffed it. We probably got lucky.

The Anor red: that was a red card tackle but he did win the ball before the DC player even got there. I guess I have no complaints, it was sloppy.

DC didn't bring much to the table and most of Columbus' problems were their own doing. We needed a finisher last night, playing with Oduro was like playing with ten men - he didn't hold up the ball or create much in the way of scoring chances either, despite getting into a couple dangerous positions. Arrieta did a better job of holding the ball up but he didn't look like shooting much either.

The team was transformed after the the red card - we looked far more dangerous going forward and the Crew's goal was an excellent counterattacking move. Trapp and Jiminez saved out butts when nobody else was stepping up. But they left it really late.

Start Arrieta next match?

16. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seemed the consensus in my section was that it was a red. Everyone was surprised when the yellow came out. Ditto with Anor's red card. One guy was not very pleased, but it was a clear two footed tackle, and a foul can still be called even if the player gets the ball or misses the ball/opponent completely.

17. StatesideSoccer

May 17, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it was a red. Two footed tackle, leading with studs is a red 99/100 and it doesn't matter if you touch the other player.

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another last minute goal. Another favorable decision fro the ref.

Delighted to get a point, but I agree that we've been found out.

Gregg's scheme doesn't work with our personnel. What good is pushing FBs up the side and having them cross the ball when there is no one to head it home? Other teams have figured this out.

I feel like we are entering the Nine Inch Nails portion of the season (the downward spiral). The team needs a real CF who is a presence in the air. Upgraded wing/wide midfield threats. Someone in CM who can provide offensive spark and be a link to Higuain so he doesn't have to come back to our 18 to get the ball. Oh, and some more CB and RB depth would be nice as well.

We've had a relatively easy schedule (DC twice, Philly and an injury riddle TFC at home, SJ away). On real game against a big boy was Seattle (with Dempsey suspended). I hate to be negative, but I'm not optimistic about how we'll fare as constructed. Especially once Parkhurst leaves for 2 months (pre-WC camp + WC) and likely Gonzalez at as well. And maybe Francis. Barson--Williams---Wahl---Anor/Viana isn't terrible, but it is a sure step down.

19. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a holding center forward with some size to him if this is the offense we are going to play. Doesn't have to be a superstar, he can be serviceable. If your plan is to get the FBs forward to cross the ball you need someone who can head it in or occupy some defenders, bring it down and distribute. We simply don't have that. So, either the plan has to be different or we need some new personnel. I know I am stating the obvious, but if it obvious to us, why isn't it obvious to the staff. I am not fooled by the fast start. I see the swoon continuing unless adjustments are made.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone said on here the CSF would make a lot more money if they did a 50/50 instead of an autographed item.

Someone was very very right.

22. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No further punishment for Gonzalez, right?

What about Anor? Any chance he'll miss more than NY?

23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say no for both cases.

Lucky Day repped this.
  24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what the rule is in mls, but in other leagues 2 yellows = a red is 1 game, while a straight red can be 2 or 3. Whats the rule in mls? Feel dumb for not knowing...

25. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Oduro slide into Anor's place next match and have Arrieta up front? Wouldn't even mind giving Bedell a run out instead of Arrieta just to see how effective he could be with crosses in his direction or see if he could hold the ball for runs from Oduro.