Nike Thread [20] - Post all info, pictures & questions here.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FootySpy

FootySpy Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Then count your lucky stars, because the upper is also white on the instep.

Dr. Boots repped this.
  2. JayMike-DK

JayMike-DK Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Also had the pleasure of trying the Magista, and I agree with @Bootboy and @GrassRouteOne that the fit is absolutely sensational. It's unlike anything I've ever tried before, and while I don't think it feels like everything will work more in unison in your foot/lower leg, I can actually relate to the whole idea of the boot feeling like it's more in sync with your leg. It sounds a bit daft really, but the Magista just feels more like a part of you than any other boot I've tried out there. I don't think, however, it's because the Dynamic Fit Collar makes the foot work more as a unit than it already does - I think it feels that way because the upper is one piece and fits you skin-tight in most areas. They've removed the tongue which for me is the biggest factor as you really feel that it's close to your foot and feels more like wearing a sock, ie. more barefoot-like.

Again, I'm with you in the way that physically it probably doesn't change that much in the sense that it probably won't allow your foot to do something it wasn't able to before all of a sudden, but having tried the Magista and thought long and hard about it, I think what separates it from everything else is the sensation of wearing it. What I mean is that because of the closer fit around the top of the foot (this is what you call the instep in English, right?) and the ankle, it might trick me into thinking it's more in unison with my body than a normal boot. Can the effect of the ankle collar be mostly psychological? I don't know. At least I feel something I'm not used to, and it feels like it's more a part of my body than, say, a Hypervenom.

It's hard to describe the feeling, but it feels bloody amazing. And that is what really excites me about the Magista.

Jorma, jayc23, —Mastermind— and 4 others repped this.
  3. bitman16

bitman16 Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Some physiotherapists do something similar when taping, if you include not only the ankle but also the lower leg, the skin receptors are able to locate the movements better. Therefore, you get the feeling that everything works better together.

jayc23 and JayMike-DK repped this.
  4. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member+

Jan 28, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having not tried the boot out I can't comment to much but I think this statement makes the most the sense to me. I'm really curious to see what the non sock version feels like. TBH I haven't really grasped my head around this new silo. Is it my understanding that there will be the sock version and another version that is exactly the same minus the sock? We'll then be able to get a better idea if its the sock or as @JayMike-DK said is more in the over all boot design (one piece, no tongue, low weight) that provides such a good fit (as reported).

Now with that said i'm leaning toward JC on this one in regards to the fact that the sock probably doesn't help to the extent that Nike will tell us it is. My Premiers fit just fine and I've never felt that the boot wasn't "part of me". I'm curious if the compression sock is producing more of a placebo effect than anything. I'm sure you feel it, Nike has stated the science behind it and all of the benefits, so your mind says "Yep, I feel that compression sock thing, it must be working!" Sort of like when they say buy this adizero, its super lightweight and will make you faster. We all know this isn't the case but when you put on a pair of these boots and feel how light they are you get the sensation you're Usain Bolt. Again this is my thoughts based on what I've seen and read so far. I will add I do like the innovation, its refreshing to see Nike really look outside of the box. That being said as long as they don't screw up the Premier and the Tiempo (which I think they've done a good job balancing "heritage" and adding some technology) for us guys who still just want a simple leather boot.

5. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As usual, fantastic post. I actually have a draft post saved saying basically the same thing related to new sensation and how it's probably a mental trick vs. true function. I don't doubt for a second that the fit is great and unique, but there is no way it will make your leg function better, just like a Vapor won't make you faster, even if you feel faster.

I'm all for improvements and advancements - which is risk/reward, look at the Predator and the Tunit for opposing results - but, I'm also about responsible advocacy and facts, which at times puts me at odds with advertising methods.

6. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Taping in the traditional sense is counterproductive....it restricts motion and movement and if it is done for injury support it also loses it's hold very quickly leading to instability, at least as it applies to the ankle joint. Most of the studies advocating taping at correlative at best and outdated. It's a placebo effect in most cases.

7. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    On the subject of bogus marketing and style appeal, I'm humorously reminded how "in my day" the Copa was a flash/gimmick boot in that kids desperately had to have it solely because of the fold down tongue. I remember at my local soccer shop you could get a great quality Patrick boot for half the cost of a Copa, but in today's terms that was like asking a young player to forgo the latest ultra expensive speed boot for a...Copa or Premier. Funny how things work out.

8. —Mastermind—

—Mastermind— New Member

Jul 23, 2013
    London
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    @Dr. Boots Do you happen to have the links for the studies?
    I'm interested as I'm currently working as a Physiotherapist-assistant with a National FA and doing my thesis. Would be interesting to read about the conflicting studies that you're referring to, thanks.

9. zachleft

zachleft Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    [​IMG]

My FAVORITE vapor colorway ever. The vapor I orange and vapor II blue/red closely follow :)

Those look awfully clean though. Are those the ones currently up on eBay?

10. zachleft

zachleft Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Has anything information leaked or come out for Vapor X? As someone who's worn vapors since the first line, I sincerely hope they come correct. Although the Vapor II's were my favorite, I think they perfected the fit in the VIII, so I'm not too sure what else they could possibly add to make them better

11. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry to go on about Nike Fuel Bands again, but if i switch from the older model to the newer SE one will all my info still be on the computer etc? I'm just thinking because its a new advance band the software might be slightly different.

If anyone knows that would be great.

appleCORR

12. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #1287 Soccerstyle09, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    You should be okay. I had the nike sportband before the fuelband was ever made and all my info and runs I accumulated there still show up on my nike+ account

appleCORR7 repped this.
  13. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for the response - I sent Nike a tweet and they replied saying the same thing. Would just be really annoying if id completed challenges then lost them!

appleCORR

14. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    has anyone had the Tiempo Legend V's in AG? did you go up half a size or stayed the same? I'm abit unsure as I remember in an episode of Behind the Boots @JayMike-DK mentioned to stay true to size for the AG's whilst going up half a size for FGs.

Also, should any comments on the fit of the Hypervenoms? The shops around me don't sell the boots so no chance to try em on.

15. AllanBhoy

AllanBhoy Member

Feb 5, 2013
    The Canadian Republic
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I got my HVPs true to size, they fit great. If you have narrower feet, I think you can definitely go down half a size though.

16. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'll dig them up, they aren't saved to my bookmarks, but I read some of them while I was researching my ACL tear.

17. Soccerfan010

Soccerfan010 Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I posted this same post in the Indoor thread but that thread doesn't seem to get nearly the traffic this thread does haha.

Has anyone tried both the Elastico Finale II and the Lunar Gato II? I plan on using them mostly to practice against a wall, play some indoor, as well as do some freestyle. Most of the time I will be using them on concrete/asphalt. I've heard great things about the elasticos, I'm just worried about using the thin sole on concrete. Also sizing wise, are they both true to size?

Thanks in advance.

18. mbonness

mbonness Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got a pair of the Elastico Finale II. The outsole is extremely thin and the rubber isn't very durable. One half of the forefoot outsole is comprised of little nubs. Decent for traction, I suppose; but I've used mine for maybe a total of 4 hours of play on a hardwood court, and some of the nubs under the ball of my foot wore off entirely. I think they would disintegrate on concrete or asphalt. Plus, despite the reinforced NikeSkin along the bottom of the upper, the upper is so low to the ground, I bet asphalt would chew through it whenever your foot rolls laterally or your toe catches a bit of the ground shooting or dribbling with your toe down. They are definitely not meant for use on an abrasive playing surface.

photo 1.JPG

Soccerfan010 repped this.
  19. Soccerfan010

Soccerfan010 Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks, I guess I'm going with the Gatos now. If that happened only after a couple indoor matches I can't imagine what they would look like after weeks on concrete.

20. BootHelp

BootHelp New Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So I'm deciding between two boots. They're roughly the same price. As of now the hypervenom phatals are around 69.99 USD. There are also the mercurial veloce for around 54.99 USD. Which should I get? Any recommendations?

21. naruto16

naruto16 Member

Aug 13, 2005
    from what ive heard the veloce is very close to the vapors in terms of fit and quality of the upper.

22. niterida09

niterida09 Member

Dec 20, 2005
    what size are those black/surf blue vapor II ( i remember the CW :)) ) lmao yo seriously 9544718634 text me if theyre a 10.5/11 US. I NEED THOSE

23. EdgarZepeda

EdgarZepeda Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hey All,

I had to conduct interviews for a media writing class I am taking in college and decided to do it on Nike and Adidas's relationship together. If any of you are willing, please take this survey I made. It is very quick and this community are experts on the subject! Mods, If there is a better place on this site to post the survey, I am very sorry and will delete upon request.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WBLPZBP

Thanks,
    Edgar

24. Alex57910

Alex57910 Member

Oct 28, 2013
    I think the original post might have been referring to the dynamic or kinesiotaping, and the application of it for proprioceptive feedback, which all refers to the bodies position in space. At the risk of destroying another forum with one of our debates dr boots haha, I'll say that I disagree with you on the use of taping, but I agree in that the boot won't really make your leg function better. I guess the idea behind the fit is to find a boot that feels just like an extension of the rest of your leg and body. And maybe with the sock and the magista Nike think (and the consumers might believe) they get closer to that perfect fit.

Soon we'll have boots that start as shorts, covers your ass and thighs and turn into a sole plate with studs...

Dr. Boots, chivamex10 and bitman16 repped this.
  25. GrassRouteOne

GrassRouteOne Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]

Dr. Boots and Mercurial4991 repped this.