Long Term Game Plan for Canadian Soccer

Discussion in 'Canada' started by soccersubjectively, Nov 22, 2013.

1. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Ah yes this is true but there is not much or any other example on an NASL team to but it up against. 2500 is what Edmonton, the left over NASL team, in an old dangerous turf field with football lines and the closest team in MINN ans a league that is still not even 5 years old.
    Growth is the process and the work on Clarke field will be vital and if 2500 continues to be the avg then they will not last. NASL is basing itself on a about a 10K model to be successul, for the near future.

It is a matter of expectations and goals for leagues and the teams to survive in them 2500 wil not cut it but the Eddies goals and the leagues goals are growing.

2. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    As good a place as any (create a new thread if you think it needs it):
    Canada Soccer announces move to new timeframe for future Amway Canadian Championships

2014 will be last edition to be played in spring. From 2015, ACC will be played in summer, with a one year wait before CCL participation for the winner. 2014 MLS regular season standings will determine 15/16 qualifier:

2014 ACC -> 2014/15 CCL
    2014 MLS -> 2015/16 CCL
    2015 ACC -> 2016/17 CCL

2016 ACC -> 2017/18 CCL

So it seems ACC maybe played on dates when the US Open Cup will be played. This will prevent scheduling conflicts early on in the season and with CCL knockout stages. Will also allow a more spread out schedule and potential for play-in games in spring in the event of Canadian expansion.

3. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think it will also improve attendance at the games, with there being nicer weather and kids out of school and all.

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't like this at all. The great thing about the V-Cup as it is now is that the same team of players that qualifies for CCL gets to play in the CCL. Now, there will be a 11 month lag between winning the Cup and playing in the CCL, not to mention the added match congestion that will occur for teams that are in the CCL, MLS/NASL and the V-Cup at the same time.

If they're willing to play games over the summer and have teams qualify for the next year's CCL, why don't they just expand the tournament to May-August? That way, you can either spread out the games or have each team play a round robin + final. If the clubs are uncomfortable with playing more games, then structure it in such a way that more teams are added to the V-Cup and have more rounds, whereby MLS teams don't enter until later in the cup and some/all rounds are 1 game knockout, no away goals and extra time if there's a tie.

5. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ontariosoccer.ca/OSABlog/index.php/archives/9742
    O.S.A. TO ANNOUNCE LEAGUE1 ONTARIO TEAMS
    VAUGHAN, ON (Friday, April 4, 2014) -- The Ontario Soccer Association will announce the organizations accepted into the inaugural season of League1 Ontario, the province's semi-professional men's league, at a press conference on Tuesday, April 8 at 2 pm

6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Great. So the schedule will be something like:

Tuesday: find out if your team was accepted
    Wednesday: sign field lease and order uniforms
    Thursday: line up corporate sponsors
    Friday: announce team to community and sell season tickets
    Saturday: first game of the season

7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm guessing that those who have been accepted already know and have prepared accordingly, at so far as to be ready to play on Saturday.

8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm not even sure that Saturday is the first game. I was merely snarkily commenting on a CSA plan I don't like. :)

9. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I like the idea of the league, but I don't like the idea that it's a CSA thing. As I said before on these threads, I think it'd be better for the provincial associations to look after semi-pro and ameteur leagues.

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I like the idea of a league. I don't mind the CSA overseeing things if it means we end up with an integrated, CHL-style set of D3 leagues in Canada (and I think the CSA is far more likely to get us there than a bunch of squabbling provincial organizations).

What I don't like is bypassing and trying to kill off existing, functioning D3 teams only to turn around and try to set up the exact same thing.

Unak78 repped this.
  11. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ontariosoccer.ca/OSABlog/index.php/archives/9764
    OSA announces League1 Ontario teams

Posted on April 8th, 2014 by Administrator

"VAUGHAN, ON (Tuesday, April 8, 2014) -- The Ontario Soccer Association announced the 10 organizations accepted into the inaugural season of League1 Ontario,"

ANB Futbol
    Durham Power FC
    Internacional de Toronto
    Kingston Cataraqui Clippers
    Masters FA
    Sigma FC
    Toronto FC
    Academy Vaughan Azzurri
    Windsor Stars
    Woodbridge Strikers

"League1 will kick off during the last weekend of May 2014."

http://www.league1ontario.com/
    a graphic with the league logo, and ten team logos; no articles

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/04/03/stars-to-join-new-soccer-league/
    Mary Caton

Last Updated: Apr 03, 2014 - 5:30 PM EDT

"The Windsor Stars soccer club will play the 2014 season in a new semi-professional league organized by the Ontario Soccer Association."

"A 20-game schedule for League1 Ontario opens at the end of May and runs through September. The Stars will play 10 games at their new home base in McHugh Park."

"There will be no post-season. Whoever finishes the regular season in first will be declared the champion."

12. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    So Windsor, Kingston, and a whack of teams in the GTA. I'm disappointed that the CSA wasn't able to spread the teams around more. London, Kitchener, St. Catharines, Guelph, Barrie, Peterborough, Hamilton, Ottawa, possibly Sudbury.

(I also think many of the names are stupid but that's personal preference.)

13. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.facebook.com/league1ontario/posts/299105033581276

Please find the official opening weekend match schedule for League1 Ontario. Come out and Support Local Football

May 30 -- 8pm kickoff; TFC Academy (home) vs Vaughan Azzurri

May 31 -- Doubleheader
    11am kickoff -- MFA Saints (home) vs. Kingston Cataraqui Clippers
    1pm kickoff -- Internacional de Toronto (home) vs. Windsor Star

June 1 -- doubleheader
    11:00am kickoff -- ANB Futbol (Home) vs. Woodbridge Strikers
    1:00pm kickoff -- Sigma FC (Home) vs Durham Power

All games will for the opening weekend will take place at the Ontario Soccer Centre Stadium Field. — at The Soccer Centre (Ontario).

14. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.facebook.com/league1ontario/posts/300712700087176

League1 Ontario Cup Draw took place last night. The groups have been seeded. And the schedule will be announced shortly. For now, here are the seedings:

Group A
    A1 - Kingston
    A2 - ANB Football
    A3 - Durham FC
    A4 - Toronto FC
    A5 - Internationale

Group B
    B1 - Windsor
    B2 - Sigma FC
    B3 - Woodbridge
    B4 - Vaughan
    B5 - Masters FC

15. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That is a great idea to have a central opeing weekend

16. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They're targeting play by 2016? Sounds pretty abitious, but I'd love to see them pull it off.

17. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Polygong repped this.
  18. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Doesn't the OSA own the OSC? Not sure the economics of paying rent for such a huge venue would work when they can just use their own facility.

19. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I am not sure that they will actually be playing in 2016 but Mr Young has stated that a NASL franchise will not begin the serious stage in 2016.
    This gives the Ti Cats a full season from beginning to end at THP and the two major events in Canada the World Cup and Pan Am games soccer at THF will all be under their belt.
    Gives Hamilton a nice pre launching pad to promote and launch a new NASL franchise.
    Running parallel with the new THF venue is the re launching and branding of the FirstOntario Centre (Copps) which is under new management with Global Spectrum.
    The timing is perfect for Hamilton to expand on sporting events in Hamilton as well as new pro franchises in different sports while also pumping more excitement for both the CFL Ti Cats and AHL Bulldogs.
    IMHO NASL is just a part of the big picture on what will be happening in Hamilton.

I am also curious to see what the Hamilton Nationals may do in the future. A possible move to the NLL to give the Rock a natural rival and fit a spot in a hotbed of NLL from Toronto through Buffalo and to Rochester.

20. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    They mention NASL perhaps not being the end point because there is no Canadian quota. While that is true, there is also no requirement to play non-Canadians. Both Edmonton and Ottawa have many Canadian players (young and older) who see a lot of field time.

I did find the comment interesting about them speaking to other CFL cities without pro soccer teams. Good to know some other people are feeling things out although I don't think you can make a league of Hamilton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Regina.

Finally, I don't think Ontario1League is the right level for Hamilton. They are definitely NASL.

21. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There is also no requirement for a Canadian based MLS team to play Canadians yet TFC started 3 of them on the weekend and 2 of their 3 subs were also Canadian......so, 5 of the 14 players used were Canadian.

In the end "rules" around nationality do not (should not) determine playing time as much as scouting and player development.

22. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I did not understand it either but that is what they wanted to do.
    I think that they want to make their USL Pro side in the area and be promoted similar to the Marlies.
    If TFC does place its USL Pro side somewhere in the GTA they would have a natural rival with Rochester again similar to the Marlies-Bulldogs AHL rival

23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Both FCE and now Ottawa do not have an official need to play Canadian players they have chosen to do so to develop soccer talent in Canada. Hamilton will likely do the same, especially if it is getting the support from the Hamilton area programs.

24. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Windsor Stars (on their re-constituted website: http://www.windsorstarssoccer.com/) have this schedule:

Sat, May 24, 12:00, H, Detroit City FC (exh) @ Academie Ste. Cecile International School, Cousineau Road, Windsor, ON, Canada
    Sat, May 31, 1:00, N, Internacional de Toronto @ Ontario Soccer Centre, Martin Grove Road, Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Sat, Jun 7, 6:00, A, ANB Futbol @ Country Day School (CDS)
    Thu, Jun 12, 4:00, A, Vaughn Azzurri @ York Stadium, Keele Street, Toronto, ON, Canada
    Sat, Jun 14, 7:00, H, Internacional De Toronto @ McHugh Park, Windsor, ON, Canada
    Sat, Jun 21, 7:00, H, ANB Futbol @ McHugh Park, Windsor, ON, Canada
    Sat, Jun 28, 7:00, H, Durham FC @ McHugh Park, Windsor, ON, Canada
    Sat, Jul 5, 7:00, H, Masters FA @ McHugh Park, Windsor, ON, Canada
    Sun, Jul 20, 12:30, A, Durham FC @ Bay Ridges Kinsmen Park, Pickering, ON, Canada
    Sat, Jul 26, 4:00, A, Sigma FC @ Hershey Centre, Rose Cherry Place, Mississauga, ON, Canada
    Sat, Aug 9, 7:00, H, Cataraqui Clippers @ McHugh Park, Windsor, ON, Canada
    Sun, Aug 17, 12:00, A, Cataraqui Clippers @ St. Lawrence College South - Main
    Sat, Aug 23, 7:00, H, Woodbridge Strikers @ McHugh Park, Windsor, ON, Canada
    Sun, Aug 31, 1:00, A, Toronto FC Academy @ Toronto FC KIA Training Ground, Toronto, ON, Canada
    Sat, Sep 6, 3:00, A, Masters FC @ LAmoreaux #1
    Sat, Sep 13, 7:00, H, Vaughn Azzurri @ McHugh Park, Windsor, ON, Canada
    Sat, Sep 20, 7:00, H, Toronto FC Academy @ McHugh Park, Windsor, ON, Canada
    Sat, Sep 27, 7:00, H, Sigma FC @ McHugh Park
    Sun, Oct 5, 3:00, A, Woodbridge Strikers @ Vaughn Grove 1