Who would you pick in your starting 11 for WC 2014?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by pwoblo, Apr 15, 2014.

?

Who would you pick in your starting 11 for WC 2014?

1. Tim Howard

93.0%
  2. Brad Guzan

6.1%
  3. Onyewu

6.1%
  4. Beasley

21.9%
  5. Cameron

95.6%
  6. Gonzalez

51.8%
  7. Besler

96.5%
  8. Goodson

24.6%
  9. Johannson

34.2%
  10. Bedoya

30.7%
  11. Altidore

64.9%
  12. F Johnson

95.6%
  13. Bradley

98.2%
  14. Jones

66.7%
  15. Donovan

84.2%
  16. Dempsey

94.7%
  17. Zusi

52.6%
  18. Wondolowski

13.2%
  19. E Johnson

0.9%
  20. Other

41.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Does anybody remember the 2010 World cup? Actually Id be surprised if you didn't. It's safe to say Bob Bradley wasn't a tactical master. One thing he did though was inspire players into playing with more heart and passion then I've ever seen from a team(Ironic that American Dream/passion/miracle Americans like to see was on display 4 years ago)That's my fear heading into this thing, is that JK is going to try and use tactics to win and get results against these giants. I don't see that working. Anyway enough with my speech but onto my lineup and ill try to dissect this.

Howard
    Cameron-Gooch/Bocanegra-Besler-FJ
    Zusi-Jones-Bradley-Donovan
    Dempsey-Altidore

In my opinion the 4-4-2 is the best formation for us to play. It allows us to play a simple and also allows us to play that counterattacking game that we will probably need to display to get out of the group. Perhaps the most important thing that could lead to a great amount of success is allowing Clint to play as that second forward per say. As many would argue his best position.

Now onto the personal.....

On defense we have the usual 3 selected in FJ, Cameron, and Besler. The ? mark comes with that 2nt CB. In my opinion we NEED a leader. We need a proven voice who is going to work hard. Bocanegra would be my #1 choice with Gooch my #2.

Midfield on this team needs to be filled with passion, just like 2010 was. Donovan has been the face of the US national team for what seems like forever now so it's only right for him to get a spot on the left side. Zusi on the right(his service could grind us out a set piece goal) Bradley obviously in the middle but here comes the x Factor. Jermaine Jones. Jones is really a guy who is going to leave everything + a bucket of seaweed on the field. He makes so many little plays that get overlooked and more importantly never gives up(a true American). I'm willing to sacrifice a yellow card or two in 3 games for that any day of the week.

Now the attack.... Altidore is struggling but is still arguably the best ST we have in the country. Dempsey plays off him as the second forward which is really the only role I see him good at.

2. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    #52 aquablue, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    I really think the team needs to go for speed first like in 2002 when we had that amazing counter attack. Put the fastest guys on the flanks that we can. I think that is the only way we can actually score against the big boys because they'll be controlling the midfield and we'll need to hit them rapidly on the counter. That is why I'm thinking we should put FJ on the wing, together with Shea (who has the ability to take on people in big games and surprise), they are both the fastest wingers we have most probably. Donovan should be a sub for wing or second striker according to his current form which leaves a lot to be desired. Then, I would argue that Agudelo, with his speed and ability to take on people, needs to be a sub for the slower, older Dempsey who surely will tire in the hot jungle atmosphere in Brazil. We need him for that surprise factor, and he's been scoring lately in Holland. Although EJ might be faster, I think Agudelo deserves at least to be there given his superior skills and youth. Honorable mention to Green for speed on the wing, but it is most likely premature to put him in there. If we go with the slower but more usual combination of Zusi and Donovan on the wings, we are going to be boxed out by the superior defenders and we will lack speed and ability to counter. That's why I prefer Donovan today as a sub for the #10 position in the 4-2-3-1 because if his knee really is an issue, our counter will be easily foiled. Rapid fire strike will be the key to scoring against Germany or Portugal, with Ghana we will have more time to work against lessor quality D.

My new formation to start vs Portugal and Germany (teams that will dominate posession). Subs in ().

Cameron/Chandler - Besler - Gonzo/Gooch (goodson) - Parkhurst/Cameron (beasley)
    Bradley (mixx) Jones (edu)
    Shea (donovan/Zusi) FJ (bedoya)
    Dempsey (agudelo/donovan - if injection of speed required late)
    Altidore (AJ or EJ)

If winning or draw late. Go to a 5-4-1 with Edu as a 3rd CB to weather the onslaught of Ronaldo, Muller, etc and replace Shea with a more defensive winger.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So, the poll gives the following over 90% or 70+ votes each

-----------------howard
    ---cameron----------------besler---fabian
    ------------------bradley
    ------------------dempsey

It looks like about a dozen people or so dont think Dono will be in form to start. He gets 66 votes

Zusi, Jones, Altidore, Gonzalez get 50-60% support.

So, predictably,

-------------------howard
    --cameron---gonzo---besler----fabian
    ---------------bradley---jones
    ---zusi----------dempsey-------donovan
    ------------------altidore

I did not vote for Jones, Altidore and Donovan.

4. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this pole was missing a few key guys... like Davis, Evans, Parkhurst, Yeldin & Agudelu. Especially Evans and Parkhurst, I easily could see one of these guys starting.

It might be interesting to see if group thinking can pick the correct 30?

5. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah I'd like to see a poll for the fringe guys myself -- guys like Mixx, Beckerman, Bedoya, Parkhurst, Beasley, Wondow, Yedlin, etc etc -- a lot of stock is rising and falling right now. I'm assuming it is in the JK camp too, now that there are new tacticians at the helm.

Are we agreed that it's safe to say the bolded guys in the poll right pretty much have guaranteed spots on the roster?

(bolded for a giggle)

6. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    That might require a different poll question as well: who would you pick as Klinsmann's starting 11 (or roster 23 or camp 30) for World Cup 2014? I certainly made my choices based on what I would think is best, which is not necessarily what I think Klinsmann thinks is best.

7. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask, and you shall receive. Pick JKs 30 Pole.

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    -------------------Altidore-------------------
    ----Donovan----Dempsey----Bedoya----
    -------------Bradley-----Jones-------------
    F.Johnson--Besler--Gonzalez--Cameron
    -------------------Howard-------------------

1. Klinsmann probably envisions Zusi in the starting XI instead of Donovan.
    2. I think Johannsson, EJ and Wondo are all acceptable as a lone striker.
    3. If the center back spot remains difficult, I would shift Cameron inside and start either DMB/FJ or FJ/Parkhurst on the outside.
    4. Jones gets the benefit of the doubt.
    5. With Portugal and Germany in the 2nd and 3rd matches, I might favor a more conservative approach if the team gets 3 against Ghana.

9. Seamus Coleman

Seamus Coleman New Member

Apr 20, 2014
    -------------------- E Johnson ----------------- Dempsey ---------------------
    -- Donovan ----------------------------------------------------------- Zusi ----
    -------------------- Jones ---------------- Bradley -----------------------------
    -- Beasley -------------------------------------------------------- Parkhurst --
    -------------------- Gonzo -------------- Besler -------------------------------
    ------------------------------- Howard ----------------------------------------

10. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009

FJ > Beasley. E. Johnson is struggling right now.

11. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^Seems like folks are gravitating towards a particular line up with the key question being whether or not to play Zusi or Bedoya on the right.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, and I think the serious questions raised (my own answers may or may not be right but I think the questions are legit)

1) can we afford to give Altidore a starting spot when 1) he has demonstrated he cant score goals in the EPL and 2) the players he will face in Brazil are at or above that level? (My answer: No)

2) can we afford the current not-scoring-in-MLS-Donovan-who-is-32yrs-old? (My answer: No)

3) should we be starting a Turkish league 32 yr old mid in Jones based on the fantasy that he is a CL Schalke mid who doesnt exist anymore - after all, why else would Schalke drop him?(My answer: No)

4) is Gonzo our best pick at rcb? (My answer: my mind is open but I do not think the alternatives proposed are clearly any better)

Unfortunately, coming up with alternatives to the above 4 in question is not easy and I am pretty sure Klinsi will do what is easy.

14. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---------------------Altidore
    Donovan----------Dempsey--------------Zusi
    ------------Bradley--------------Jones
    Beasley------Besler-------Cameron-----Johnson
    ---------------------Howard

15. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is really no other option than Jozy based on your reasoning.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We would be in big trouble if there were no other option to any one particular player.

17. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What other strikers options have excelled against competition at or above the level of the EPL, let alone played against that level?

Mr Martin repped this.
  18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jozy has not excelled at that level and at the moment he is not playing at that level so I dont know why we should be comparing players to him on that basis.

However, Dempsey has, to answer your question.

19. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point I'm making is that you're suggesting Jozy shouldn't start because he hasn't proven to be a competent striker against EPL competition, but neither have any of the other strikers that are in the pool.

I don't see Dempsey as a lone striker.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The term "lone striker" is somewhat vague. You asked what other player had excelled in the Prem and I gave you Dempsey who scored over 20 goals in a season with Fullham against none for Jozy. Am I to understand that we should contact the EPL tomorrow and erase Dempsey's goals on the record books on grounds he was not a lone striker? Alternatively, we could contact Sepp Blatter and clarify that only lone striker goals should count in Brazil.

Wishful thinking is a wonderful thing but sometimes it is necessary to face reality.....

21. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #71 Chance, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Where did I say this?

You know it's possible to have a discussion on here without resorting to supercilious remarks and snark...

Klinsmann has started Dempsey at the central attacking midfielder role almost exclusively during qualifying, I don't see why he'd all of a sudden throw him up top, then again I'm basing this off the assumption that JK keeps to the 4231 formation.

Reality is that it is inane to suggest that Dempsey could play the role that Altidore has played effectively, he doesn't have the physicality to do so. Even though Jozy's had a bad season, if there is one thing he's learned to do, it's be physical and hold the ball up.

Namdynamo repped this.
  22. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good analysis. I think you're spot on in that this is the most *likely* starting XI. Now whether that's the best decision . . . .

I'm glad we have three more matches to see. If we're lucky, those tests will give us some better info on where our players and tactics are at.

23. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the jury is still out on Altidore until we see him back in the Red, White, & Blue Raspberry, and away from Sunderland.

Even when he didn't score, last year he was dishing really well to our other front players and helping to cause goals. If he goes out and does that a couple times against Nigeria and Turkey, I'll be sold again (and relieved). Otherwise, I think you have to play Dempsey and AJ, or even Dempsey and Wondo up top.

24. el gato bandito

el gato bandito New Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --------DONOVAN - DEMPSEY
    BEDOYA -----BRADLEY -----ZUSI
    ----------------CAMERON
    FABIAN - BESLER - GOOD - PARK.H
    ------------------GUZAN

or
    my preferred formation

DONOVAN ----- DEMPSEY ----- ZUSI
    ---------BRADLEY -------DISKERUD
    ------------------CAMERON
    FABIAN - BESLER --- GOOD - PARK.H
    -------------------GUZAN

Fabian moves up in attack
    our left side is very dangerous
    Parkhurst stays back
    Cameron protects the backline, combines well with Bradley
    Bradley is allowed to do whatever he wants, with less defensive responsibilities
    Diskerud helps possession, and is the creative attacking midfielder
    Zusi helps possession, crosses, set pieces, corners