2014 NWSL Season Prediction Contest - Week 2

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Andère

Andère Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Club:
    Seattle
    KC 2-1 Spirit
    Flash 2-2 Red Stars
    Thorns 0-0 Sky Blue
    Dash 1-0 Breakers

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just in case it wasn't obvious: we as a group ATE IT for the first two matches tonight. X-D Blaze was the only person to pick DC winning, and similarly babranski the only one to pick CHI - for a grand total of three points earned over those two games. (We as a group earned 20pts for the POR/NJ draw.)

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Yayyy mee. I want to personally reprimand O'hara for screwing up my 4 points and than she cost me another 2 points with the missed penalty

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So none of you had the guts to pick Chicago to win tonight, except Babranski.
    I just got back from the game. Red Stars may not have the USWNT "stars " that all you drool over but they have a "TEAM". A team that has very good players and players that play for one another. Shame no one on these boards gives the Red Stars a fighting chance. But, oh well.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #30 SiberianThunderT, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    FWIW five people picked a tie. Based on what people saw from WNY last week, that's still a big compliment to the Red Stars, and still saying CHI was a playoff-quality team. But with how much WNY (and particularly Losada) impressed last week, you shouldn't be too shocked that almost everyone picked a WNY win. This week's predictions were less a slight to Chicago and more of a compliment to WNY, which was almost unanimously top-two in power rankings. I'm a Stars fan myself, and still thought WNY's international experience would be too much for CHI's youth to completely overcome, which wasn't meant to say anything negative about CHI's overall strength.

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I was referring to in my other post.

I wrote more, but my better judgment had me delete it.

Do us a favor: root like heck for your team, but stop insulting everyone who posts on BS about the NWSL.

holden repped this.
  7. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I thought the handball call was a little week. Her arms looked to be by her side and she didn't intentionally move them towards the ball. Without that PK, I would've nailed the score of the game.

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Me too. But that last minute PK also presented a chance to get the spread right but she missed that one. SBFC can't afford to miss easy goal scoring opportunities when presented, it's not like they are generating tons of chances themselves.

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Looking at it live both hand ball calls were weak but technically justifyable. If you whine about one, you have to accept the other.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You're right. I had no right to even post on this thread since I myself didn't make any predictions for this weekend.
    Maybe I'm not making any valuable contributions to discussions here anymore. I'll have to re-evaluate my participation on these boards.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well if you leave than that means no one will be talking about Chicago anymore so it's not worth it. Maybe you should encourage some of the members of the ChicagoLocal134 supporters group to post on this board. That way there'll be more Chicago fans.

New Engalnd Nellie repped this.
  12. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    Don't leave please.

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Like I said in the CRS thread, I won't leave but I do need to take a step back and re-evaluate how and when I post.
    My posts lately have been one of a "grumpy old man". I am an engaged supporter of then women's game who can share interesting experiences and insights. I have also met many of you personally as well as those who read these boards but who do not post. I don't want to lose those friendships and trust.

I need to be more timely, more factual, less emotional and above all respectful of other's opinions.

Happy Easter!

14. NilamCA

NilamCA Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we could all take a lesson in being more factual, less emotional and more respectful of other's opinions. However, it's difficult when we feel so much passion for the game!

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Oh, yes, I think the second one was weak as well. I thought that was implied. I only mentioned the first one cause it ruined my prediction and the second one did not. ;)

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So, tonight's result didn't help the group much either, with only 8 points among us. (To give credit where it's due, it was a highly split prediction - 4 to Houston, a whopping 10 draws, and 5 to Boston - so quite a big split among us, though if the game DID end in a draw there would've been 20+ points earned.)

This week's results:
    6pts - @fire123 , @StarCityFan
    4pts - Andere, Tokonta, WPSM
    2pts - babranski, CoachJon, STT
    1pt -- Blaze20
    opts - everyone else (10 players total)

Standings so far:
    9pts - @Tokonta
    8pts - ERIMUS, fire123, StarCityFan, WPS_Movement
    6pts - CoachJon, FCKCEvans, ForeverLOST108, holden
    4pts - amerinorsk59, Andere
    3pts - Blaze20, SiberianThunderT
    2pts - babranski, BlueCrimson, liesse00, mamalia
    1pt -- welibit

At the moment, it appears we have a group of five leaders, four chasers, and the rest of us - but we're only two weeks in! When you can get 8pts on week and 0pts the next, we're sure to see some more shuffling in these first few weeks! Then the race truly begins.

17. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Such a crazy week! At least the unpredictability keeps things exciting.

18. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Didn't my picks register? I picked CRS 2-1 over WNY.

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Will you be starting this week's discussion soon, there is a mid week match

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah, sorry - yes, your picks did register, but the miscommunication occurred because you listed it as the winning team first and not the away team first, so it went into my spreadsheet as WNY 2-1 CHI. I caught the reorder with some posts, but that kind ordering mix-up is the reason why I ask people to keep their predictions in the same format as my first post.
    Anyway, the correction in my spreadsheet has been made.
    Yes! Was going to do that right after I caught up with all my other watched threads.

Blaze20 repped this.
  21. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    thanks! :) I will remember from now on!

22. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'Hara totally blew it for me as well I think. I had Sky Blue winning by one.