FC Kansas City vs Washington Spirit April 19, 2014

Discussion in 'KC Current' started by Forgedias, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    FC Kansas City projected roster:

Goalkeepers: Nicole Barnhart, Sara Keane
    Defenders: Kassey Kallman, , Nikki Phillips, Leigh Ann Robinson, Becky Sauerbrunn, Nia Williams
    Midfielders: Jen Buczkowski, Lauren Holiday, Maegan Kelly, Jenna Richmond, Frances Silva, Erika Tymrak
    Forwards: Liz Bogus, Melissa Henderson, Morgan Marlborough, Amy Rodriguez

Mandy Laddish is at school, Sarah Hagen and Katrina Gorry will arrive in May and Cecilia Santiago and Amy LePeilbet are recovering on injured reserve.

Washington Spirit projected roster:

Goalkeepers: Ashlynn Harris, Chantal Jones
    Defenders: Toni Pressley, Robyn Gayle, Ali Krieger , Cecilie Sandvej, Crystal Dunn, Bianca Sierra, Tori Huster
    Midfielders: Yael Averbuch, Christine Nairn, Lori Lindsey, Diana Matheson, Veronica Perez, Jordan Angeli
    Forwards: Renae Cuellar, Jodie Taylor, Danesha Adams

Caroline Miller and Colleen Williams are on injured reserve. Tiffany Weimer is questionable with a left knee sprain.

Projected Starting XI for FC Kansas City:

[​IMG]

I have Kansas City in a 4-4-2 diamond midfield formation as they were in that last week. I still don't think this formation is optimal for them since it really is a forward driven offense and the forwards simple do not do enough to active our midfielders into the attack. Melissa Henderson does slot into the starting XI. I just don't see how Liz Bogus gets back in or Morgan Marlborough who didn't impress last match.

Projected starting XI for the Washington Spirit:

[​IMG]

Judging from last week, this was the roster they put out, 4-4-2 diamond midfield. I highly doubt they will change this since Dunn will probably stay in the midfield. Veronica Perez could get the start and I would think that she would replace one of the forwards up top.

Overall the Washington Spirit have a much better balanced attack and have nearly over hauled their entire roster with the additions of Veronica Perez, Yael Averbuch, Christine Nairn, Crystal Dunn, Jodie Taylor, Renae Cuellar and almost all of these players are now starters. It may take them a couple matches before they buy into the style of offense that Coach Parsons wants, who has stated he wants possession and keep the ball on the grass, not long ball it. But in the game against Western New York, whenever their offense struggled, they resorted to long balling down the field.

FC Kansas City in turn had a good performance by Amy Rodriguez, who was very active in the attack, but more work in generating offense from the midfield will need to be worked on since FCKC only scored one goal. More goals will need to be generated especially from Lauren Holiday, last season's league MVP and Erika Tymrak. Liz Bogus who started last game was ineffective in the attack, her grit was evident, but as to her finishing and technical ability, it was fairly obvious that she was a poor second to what Melissa Henderson provided last season. Hopefully Henderson will start over Bogus and provide the necessary link up with the midfield and help activate them like she did last season.

Whether the Washington Spirit can get back to the style that Parson's wants or FC Kansas City can build more pressure in the box to provide more offense will be key questions in this match.

MTay repped this.
  2. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    My gut is telling me that they are going to give Bogus one more chance to start with Arod. If she/Marlborough don't produce this opens the door for Henderson. Although perhaps Henderson gets a nod as the forward sub with it being an away game.

Anyway it will be interesting to see how both teams respond after last week.

3. MTay

MTay Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I'm afraid you're right :/

Starting lineup

4. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Bravo to the Spirit. Even though KC held much of the possession in the 1st half they capitalized on all of their chances. The same cannot be said for KC, stars Holiday and Tymrak are not delivering thus far. And the defense looked venerable on the counter-attack. I'd like to see the stats but it seemed to same story different game for KC.

5. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lineup is clearly an issue for FCKC. Due to there being only one holding midfielder, Holiday is being forced to play further back which limits her productivity. Tymrak thrives on driving into open space but having two forwards ahead of her all the time limits that.

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emphasis added.

???? In other words, she can't play midfield?

PS - I like Tymrak as a player, have ever since I first saw her play. I'm not questioning her, just the analysis.

7. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah I just meant more to the fact that she does better centrally. With the diamond midfield they are using she isn't utilized to her strengths.

8. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    It wasn't even a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond. It was a 4-1-3-2, with a flat 3 for the AMs, with one DM. Then after being down, Holiday starts back-tracking to help on D. They are not even playing their own system. Frustrating.

9. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    I was away for a family dinner so I when I got back, watched the match without knowing the final scoreline. I have to be very impressed with the improvement that the Washington Spirit showed this match. Played much more better then they did against Western New York. Their midfield was more compact, defended well and countered whenever they could off a turn over. They still are a pretty direct team but their counters really hurt FCKC and stretched the defense whenever they pushed numbers on the run of play into the box. FCKC. I have to be worried about this defense. Nikki Phillips, I really am not confident with her at center back. She has to be more aggressive in jamming a player as they move into the box with the ball. What really concerns me is this 4-4-2 formation. It isn't solid defensively and it doesn't allow Erika Tymrak to get enough touches and be able to attack on the run. Too much emphasis are placed with the forwards. Amy Rodriguez looked decent in the first half, then disappeared in the second half. Lauren Holiday was trying to be a scorer, provider and playmaker all in one. She needed more support although I wouldn't say she had a great match since she did miss on a penalty kick attempt. That attempt wasn't a good attempt. I don't think she struck the ball well since it was a soft shot and easily saved. And Holiday had a break away chance but shot the ball over the crossbar, it was a difficult chance since she was under pressure, but with her skill, she probably should of scored.

Subs that came in. Nia Williams (Nikki Phillips), Frances Silva (Liz Bogus), Jenna Richmond (Merrit Mathias)

Nia Williams: Took over the right back spot from Leigh Ann Robinson who shifted to the left side. Attacked often up the pitch, but really didn't connect well with her midfield, maybe its because she hasn't had a lot of playing time but she didn't look out of place defensively at least.

Jenna Richmond: Subbed in for an attacking role. Was in the box numerous times when FCKC put pressure inside it. Looked technically sound, held the ball well but as an attacking threat, she didn't look as if she was going to be able to break the game open.

Frances Silva: Really liked what I saw from Silva. Able to dribble at her defender and push her back, was able to dribble around a defender and then get into the box to get a very nice cross in. Had several good runs on the flank when she was activated. I can see her supplanting Merrit Mathias on the wing with her skill and technical ability. Has tons of pace, but is so gifted on the ball.

I didn't think Liz Bogus has a good night. Not good enough on the ball that she can turn when she receives it and a defender is marking her. Had to pass back to the midfield;. At least Rodriguez was able to make turns with the ball. I really hope this Bogus experiment ends now and another player is given the chance to play at top. Experience or not, there is a reason why Bogus hasn't been a top option for teams in her career.

Jenn Buczkowski. Had a tough night. She was open when she received the ball from Holiday 6-7 yards from goal with only Ashlynn Harris in front of her and she had to take a touch which allowed a defender to knock the ball of her feet. But that wasn't why she had a bad night, her problems stemmed from marking Crystal Dunn who had complete freedom to wander in the middle of the pitch. Dunn was able to create so much space for her players which lead to 2 goals from Diana Matheson. I even think she picked up 2 assists off those 2 goals because of her efforts. Dunn dominated Buczkowski in the middle and if anyone thought Buczkowski could play destroyer, then you have your answer from this match. Impressive game by Crystal Dunn.

Diana Matheson was also a force on the right wing. Constantly putting pressure on any player with the ball and defended deep on her side. Not necessary a true box to box midfielder since she stayed on the wing, but her play was marvelous and she was the MVP for this match.

I think FCKC will really need to take a close look at that 4-4-2 formation and the reasons why they are trying to run it. For one thing, the coaching staff, Vlatko Andonovski in particular must of had some knowledge that they would be having Sarah Hagen early on and thus drafted Morgan Marlborough as well to complement the squad for her arrival. Probably the thinking was, Marlborough would get time as a starter and they would follow the USWNT set up and use a speedster on the wing and a big target forward to force play in the box. This is back firing big time because one, they don't have Hagen here right now and 2, they are not complimenting Rodriguez well on the wing with the correct forward who needs to be able to hold up play since Abby can hold play up. Bogus is the wrong player. And the defense... I think this match against Washington, who looked disorganized against Western New York, but organized against FCKC has shown that this 4-4-2 isn't working. FCKC can be counter attacked and Buczkowski is getting exposed because of this. Desiree Scott is an excellent marker and can shut down a player when they have the ball and get turn overs. Buczkowski hasn't been able to do that. The other team had far too much time on the ball. Its forcing Lauren Holiday to back track constantly to help defend and try to mark players. Scott really covered any exposed weaknesses that FCKC had and now I think I am seeing them without Scott in the lineup.

These defensive problems has to be addressed and the only way I think it can is going back to the traditional 4-2-3-1 with 2 holding midfielders. Buczkowski needs help. Can Jenna Richmond be that answer? Or Mandy Laddish when she finishes school? We'll have to see. Plus in a 4-2-3-1 set up, Erika Tymrak will flourish and actually get more touches on the ball. She just isn't getting involved enough on the run of play. Amy Rodriguez can stay at top and they really should bring Melissa Henderson as a right wing midfielder. But with her not playing for 2 matches now, its hard to say why she isn't getting any time on the pitch. She isn't injured since she would be on the injury report. So I have no idea why she is getting excluded like this.

2 goals in 2 games. Seems like the same start we had for last season. Have to wonder how long Vlatko Andonovski will keep this system going with the problems so evident to see.

10. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Two lackluster performances for FCKC. And zero minutes for Henderson. Not saying she alone would fix things, but it baffles me why she's not getting any time. Is it too early to start the "Fire Vlatko" thread?