2013 Hot Seat or Getting Warm Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Cliveworshipper, Feb 17, 2013.

1. moreira

moreira Member

Aug 12, 2013
  2. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    Looks like outstanding hire by Dartmouth. One that shows they want to continue to push the program forward.

3. juvenumber1

juvenumber1 New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What's your basis for labeling this an outstanding hire as opposed to the existing Dartmouth assistant? I think that she is a little more in synch with modern soccer. I don't know Rainey but when they use Greg Ryan's quote to describe Rainey, I start to question. However, looking at Rainey's recruiting, he might be a good fit because it seems that he looks for team players rather than league brand. This is probably a good trait given the no athletic scholarship environment at the Ivies.

4. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    This makes absolutely no sense at all.

5. juvenumber1

juvenumber1 New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Neither did Ryan's decision to replace Hope with Brianna.

socceristhefuture repped this.
  6. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Oh, a brace of non-sequiturs. Hat trick on the way.

7. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope probably got Sermani fired too

;)

Lensois repped this.
  8. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Was told the issue of keeping the assistant on staff has really slowed down the process at IPFW as candidates have been reluctant or refused to accept that condition.

9. quikshot007

quikshot007 Member

Apr 4, 2006
    I am sure keeping the assistant on would be an issue for anyone coming to start there own program but phone interviews were last week admin is not exactly moving fast on the issue at all, would make someone wondering how much the admin truly values the women's soccer program at Ipfw. On top of that I am sure the salary is not what people expected or the budget. Both at the bottom of the conference if I am not mistaken. I hope for the teams sake they get someone in soon. Would be a shame to see all the hard work put in by past Head coach MS and alumni. Have any players jumped ship yet?

10. quikshot007

quikshot007 Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Unlv has compiled a list of potential HC and have contacted them will be interesting to see how this process moves along sine the program is in the hands of former player and volunteer assistant right now.

Anyone have any insight on UNH?

Will the university of Iowa just name assistant and interim for the season so they can have a better pool of candidates? Can't see to many HC leaving current programs this late in the game? Any thoughts or inside info from anyone?

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    People are still hung on that bullsh_t?! Unbelievable. Greg Ryan is a good coach and he's showing it at Michigan. Many of you forget that Greg Ryan actually gave Hope Solo the starting job. Hope Solo was third string under April Heinrichs behind Scurry and Luckenbill. When Greg Ryan took over after April, he made Hope Solo the #1 goalkeeper. But no one remembers or mentions that.
    Get off that nonsense!

And BTW, Scurry is still the most successful goalkeeper that this country has ever had and until Solo wins a World Cup Scurry will remain to be.

quikshot007 repped this.
  12. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Top candidates have withdrawn their names, battle of the runners up now.

13. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    Seems odd people would withdraw their name for the job over keeping an asst coach for one season. This is late in the year might even be smoother for transition.

quikshot007 repped this.
  14. quikshot007

quikshot007 Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Was thinking the same thing does not sound like they will have anyone in before kids leave at end if semester

15. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    One of the candidates knows the program well so continuity would not have been an issue. Most coaches would want to bring in someone they know and trust, not have a stranger. That one season when you say the current AC could be replaced could be a big gamble, no reason to potentially have it be an issue in an HC's first season. Both candidates who withdrew had ACs in mind from what I'm told. Why ask them to compromise their vision for the program they want to build?

16. justahick

justahick Member

May 30, 2013
    Really? That sounds odd to you?

Having a good working relationship and shared vision with you assistant coach is vital to making a good first impression. Without that, you risk a divided clubhouse. Not the way any established coach would want to enter a program.

17. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    Valid for sure but having experienced both scenarios ultimately the HC has to lead and make sure the AC shares the same vision. If you are a good leader you can be successful either way. Could they have added a 2nd assistant and fundraised for the one season? My point was I wouldn't turn the job down if it was a job I wanted. I am confidant enough in my way of doing things and managing people. I would have at least sat down with current AC to see where he/she stood.

18. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    Who is to say the two couldn't have a good working relationship. In a perfect situation you are 100% correct but not taking a job because of it is probably not the stance I would take. But everyone can do as they see fit.

19. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    #1244 Lensois, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    And if the AC doesn't share the same vision? Why invite that battle all year long if it can be avoided? You'd do it your way, but most coaches I know wouldn't and not from lack of confidence. Wanting a job and accepting limiting administrative demands at an already resource poor school are two different things. Those might be factors to make coaches not want the job once informed of those issues; they may want the job but not necessarily need the job.

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone who knows remind me of what the circumstances were with Saurin leaving IPFW?

21. TheAusMan

TheAusMan Member

Nov 3, 2011
    And who are these "top" candidates who withdrew? I have heard the one they want will be on campus this week.

22. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Left for the Oakland job

23. quikshot007

quikshot007 Member

Apr 4, 2006
    You seem to be very knowledgable on the current situation have any of the current players left since they have been without a head coach? If there has been a group of players leaving then I could understand what you are saying, however the Ac has been running the past program for the past two months would be curious to hear how things have been going? Why didn't Saurin take the Ac with her to Oakland?

24. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    No idea on either.

25. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe IPFW is just not a good job. Not from that neck of the woods, but low budget, low pay and have to keep the assistant doesn't sound like that great a deal.