Youngsters in MLS (1993 or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Aug 12, 2012.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Delgado starting for Chivas vs. Seattle at CM in a 4-2-3-1

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Good interplay between him and Barrera led to an early PK. Up 1-0 early.

Pl@ymaker, USAMEX10 and ielag repped this.
  3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Delgado picks up a red card, overall a bad decision by the ref. Kasey Keller on the Sounders broadcast is even bewildered by the red card.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Trapp with another outstanding performance. On the equalizing goal for Columbus, Trapp tracked Espindola down in his own box and stripped him, ran the ball up to midfield and made an exceptional cross field pass to Jimenez on the edge of the box and Jimenez curled one far post after taking a touch inside. As time goes on I am beginning to think he may be that one guy from the last U20 cycle to really make an impact for a long time to come on the MNT, aside from Yedlin. I'd rate him ahead of Gil even at this point. A CM pairing of Bradley and Trapp could be really great.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And Acosta ended up going 90. This is a great sign for youth watchers as there was every reason in the world for FCD not to play Acosta last night. Loyd was available (rooted to the bench), and then there's the Dallas Cup issue. One would imagine that by going 90, Kelyn is now not available to start the Dallas Cup final.

By the way, if Walker Zimmerman is healthy enough to be on the bench for FCD (and play in the reserve matches).......................why on earth has he not been called up to the U21 camp? It should be noted the Keel has been playing really well for them. When George John comes back, that'll probably push Walker off of the bench.

Garcia is consistently on the bench. He'll get into some games soon.

Sandon Mibut and Hararea repped this.
  6. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Seitz isn't youth any longer, of course, but he's another example of how Pareja is willing to stick with a guy who steps up when he gets the chance. And unfortunately, Moises Hernandez was an example of how quickly Pareja will drop a guy who doesn't step up. Seems like the best kind of squad management to keep everyone motivated.

FCD Reserves have their toughest game of the year on Tue (host Orlando City), and after that, they don't play again for nearly three months. Will suck for Garcia if he's too good for a loan but not good enough to see the field much (Hopefully, Ulloa and Zimmerman both get loans right away.)

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I guess the Zim loan is dependent upon the health of the always-seemingly-suffering-from-some-kind-of-injury George John. I was expecting Zimmerman to play when he returned to health, but Keel is playing well as Hedges' partner right now. The coach isn't going to fix what isn't broken..........................

I have a guy feeling that Garcia will have a role to play before the end of the season. He's presumably Diaz' primary backup. It's hard for a coach to take off his best player in close games, which FCD has played a lot of. But any sort of fixture congestion or Diaz injury means Garcia is needed.

My gut also tells me that we're close to Raul Fernandez leaving the club. This is the Peruvian national team keeper that's now lost his job to Seitz. He's not going to accept that. So we're close to the youth keepers being moved up a peg. Richard Sanchez should be ready to be the #2 and Jesse Gonzalez as #3. It's time for Sanchez to get some USOC games.................at least.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    BTW........................in case some of you made the wise decision not to sit thru the Fire-Revs match on NBCSN yesterday, the commentators spoke about Fagundez. They said they had talked to him about his national team desires, and he re-affirmed his desire to play for the USMNT.

I'd say its highly unlikely that he's eligible in time for the 2016 Olympics (impossible?), but its good to hear that he's thinking in these terms.

9. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Whoa nelly!!! Trapp better than Gil. U must be smokin

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trapp has all the pieces to be an outstanding National Team player if he continues to develop. I worry about his athleticism a bit but that can really be dependent on the system he is playing in.

11. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who has watched every minute Trapp has played for the Crew and a lot of Gil (I am sure you have seen more than me) I don't think his assertion is as far off base as you may think.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are pretty close as is right now. It's always hard to project how much more room players have mentally to keep progressing, and usually that's what separates the kids who make it big and those that don't. To put it simply, it could go either way.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. The good news for Trapp in this regard is that he seems to be a very smart player who is progressing rapidly. In the span of less than 12 months, he's gone from a player who wasn't making the 18 for Columbus to their vice-captain; someone who isn't just holding his own in the lineup as a youngster, but who is one of their better performers.

I don't know if we've ever seen this sort of year-over-year improvement from Gil, but I'd argue that he started from a higher place and that he has been improving at a steady clip.

If debating whether Trapp or Gil is better were our biggest problem, I'd be happy. Unfortunately, we have to deal with who will play LB and FW for the pre-Olympic tournament, among other issues...

Real Corona repped this.
  14. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's important to remember (and I'm assuming you've seen Gil mostly at RSL) is that Gil plays out of position for RSL. He's a serviceable wing player, but his real position is taken by Morales. He's far better in the middle.
    I have a feeling Sean Okoli will be the starting striker in the pre-Olympic tournament. I know in his few (2?) appearances with the Sounders first team were at winger, but he played forward for Wake Forest and was All-ACC first team. He's got decent technical and outstanding physical qualities, and he isn't a dumb player (I'm looking at you McBean). He's by no means a top level player, but he's a solid option.

manoa repped this.
  15. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I may be the only one seeing it, so feel free to tear me to shreds for saying it. But Gil has begun to stagnate this season at RSL. He is out of position for me at RM, and in the games I've seen, Mulholland has outplayed him in that spot. He needs to move in to Morales position to continue his upward trajectory and with RSL and Morales playing so well I dont know if or when that will happen. Its pretty clear Gil is wasted out wide in that diamond formation. His one good game this season came when Morales was injured and he was allowed to fill in at the 10 spot.

Trapp has been given the keys to the midfield with Higuain, and hes flourishing in that role. Gil needs something similiar, or he just floats around out wide watching Morales and Beckerman control the game.

Sandon Mibut, bajansoccer and comoesa repped this.
  16. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trapp has been the one '93 that has gotten better and better every time I see him play. His improvement in qualifying alone was impressive and he's carried it on from there. He's really developing into a really good young player and one I wouldn't be surprised to wear the captains armband for the Olympic team.

17. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trapp reminds me a little of Kyle Beckerman in terms of athleticism. Neither will blow you away with their physical gifts. Beckerman has rounded into a real soccer player after being mainly a workhorse earlier in his career. Trapp is starting at a higher level in terms of soccer ability

19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Fwiw, Salcedo's first Mexico call-up is official, and Uvaldo Luna was picked this time, as well. Still no Richard Sanchez, though.

http://www.femexfut.org.mx/portalv2/aspx/WEB_DetalleNoticia.aspx?pnIDNtca=42296

Mexico will send its U21 team to Toulon in May, so it'll be interesting to see whether Salcedo gets invited.

20. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen or heard much about Shane O'Neill at all this year but I see he's been playing. Can any a Colorado or other fans fill me in with how he's doing?

Same as last year? Much improved?

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  21. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Gil needs to leave that team a become uncomfortable again so he can grow. Preferably overseas.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juergen, is that you?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gil needs to be warming the bench for Bayern Munich :sneaky:

24. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4249 UcIceD2011, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Maybe I am looking at this wrong but how is McBean a dumb player? Most people talk about his average athleticism or technical skills that fail him from time to time but I haven't seen anyone call him a dumb player.

Tom Collingsworth and Hararea repped this.
  25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was also going to ask some elaboration regarding the McBean "dumb player" comment...