BS members supporting (poor) kids in Brazil

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by jupal, Apr 18, 2014.

?

In which way would you prefer the money to be collected/donated?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2014.
  1. to 1 organisation directly (their acc)

44.8%
  2. to 2 organisations directly (their acc)

20.7%
  3. to more than 2 organisations directly (their acc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. for us to collect and buy stuff eg toys, jerseys & food (in contact with 1 organisation)

3.4%
  5. for us to collect and buy stuff eg toys, jerseys & food (in contact with 2 organisations)

17.2%
  6. for us to collect and buy stuff eg toys, jerseys & food (in contact with more than 2 organisations)

13.8%
  7. other (please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    Hey everyone in Scorpyn's Scanner thread it was @Scorpyn78 's idea and originated here https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/scorpyns-scanner-2014.2001078/page-30#post-29923031 if you want to read up on it. Basically it started with us wanting to collect/donate tickets but this seems extremly hard since there are often 20 or 30 or more children living in one of those villages or organisations and chances are high that we would not be able to get a ticket for every kid resulting in disappointing some of them also it would be very hard to order 20 tickets because the person picking them up would have to use 5 credit cards.

There have been several discussions and many great ideas shared so far. I thought to find out how most feel about the way this should be done I made a little poll here... I figured it is the easiest way to figure out how most of you feel when it comes to how to go on about it since I got many responds. This poll closes in 10 days. Then we will make whatever option wins happen in the following few days and talk to 1 or more deserving organisations depending on the result. Of corse I hope that you post your opinions on it too. If you are wondering why I am talking so far noone has sent me a message that they don't want me to try to organise this and Scorp has suggested me to try to organise this all and since it was his idea well I figured I will give it a try.

Regarding the poll if one of the "directly to the organisation(s)" options gets elected it doesn't mean that we can't buy jerseys or food or somthing at all just not as much and most likely individually but nothing is set in stone yet and I am open to any opinions :)

scooterz repped this.
  2. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    If Scorp decides to make an acc himself n give the app to people that donate or sonething this thread is obviousky pointless only read that suggestion now

3. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    I'm in touch with a few institutions here in Manaus that I'm sure would welcome some sort of donation - in tickets or whatever.

I'm able to lead a group there if some of you wants to make an afternoon of it.

4. FourThreeThree

FourThreeThree New Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Club:
    Club América
    I communicated "jupal" about an organization in Sao Paulo that would be happy to receive a donation too (in case we go with the option of 2 or more organisations).

5. scooterz

scooterz Member

Mar 12, 2014
    This is awesome, Jupal - thanks for your work to coordinate our efforts!

I'm all in favour of both group and individual donations, and I think there's lots of room for people to contribute in either channel. Personally, I enjoy the idea of teaming up with people who share a common passion to support the wellbeing of others, and I think it's cool to see this kind of support come out of our virtual community.

Happy Easter,

Scott

6. rccc

rccc Member

Dec 11, 2013
    CHINA
    Club:
    Guangzhou Yiyao
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    for 1 organisation to donate their with football,I may like this idea.
    btw,I can't vote.
    thanks,man

7. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Count me in for my Initial donation @jupal as it still stands. ill go with the majority hopefully we see the support of the other forum members continue

scooterz repped this.
  8. Pablo Garces

Pablo Garces Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Australia
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm in for the donation.

I can't vote tho.... it doesnt allow me o_O

9. hammeruk

hammeruk Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Great effort (again!) jurpal and Scorpyn78.

Personally, I go for the single organisation donation option (financial); it makes a potential logistically-complex fundraising initiative as easy as possible to execute... while crucially allowing the chosen charity in question to best decide actual local needs and how/where to spend the money raised.

Would a poll to select the preferred charity/ies, be a good idea to run alongside the current one?

10. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm a fan of giving to a few already established organisations. One thing that will definitely benefit the kids is money (in the right hands, of course), so I think we shouldn't complicate things too much and stick to that. I like splitting it between a few trustworthy organisations, though I wouldn't care if it was just 1 instead.

11. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As we can all see little or no traffic on this page with the exception of a few of us. Sad indictment of what I was hoping was just my cynical view. @jupal my offer stands

12. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I think once a decision has been made about which way to go, and a mechanism put in place for donations, then you will see that many people are keen to contribute.

Scorpyn78, scooterz and Stuckin1au repped this.
  13. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

People like you I've never doubted my friend hence why ill break bread and have a drink with you in Rio

14. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Looking forward to it very much.

15. Pablo Garces

Pablo Garces Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Australia
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think we all knew what was going to happen.... @Stuckin1au my offer still is the same.

16. HugoNY

HugoNY Member

Feb 15, 2014
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in to make a donation

17. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    With 2 free apps now available on here, my fear is that many anonymous people will be downloading them without even making a peep.

18. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    I kind of expected that hence why I wanted to make a poll and wait some days (it closes april 28th) before I really set too much in motion and it would be a let down to the organisaton coz they expected more or something. I figured some people may be away on easter holiday or something maybe not. The good thing is there are still people willing to help and we will make something happen :)

Scorpyn78 and Stuckin1au repped this.
  19. Scorpyn78

Scorpyn78 Member+

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    May 27, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @jupal and @Stuckin1au: Whatever is decided eventually, we would still need to establish a way for people to donate (paypal account etc). Let's get that ready and let's try to post updates on this forum of the total donated amount so it's totally transparent. Once donations start coming in I am sure more people will be comfortable to contribute. Let's get things moving.

20. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    I'm still keen to make a donation.
    Anyway if making this thread a "sticky" ?

21. Nick Sewell

Nick Sewell New Member

Dec 27, 2013
    This is a great idea. I can't vote for some reason, but will happily donate to the cause.

22. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    I agree the idea is to have the account ready by monday april 28th or the day after at the very latest :)

Stuckin1au repped this.
  23. Madridista3

Madridista3 New Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sounds good!

my vote is single organisation directly.

And ready to donate too :)

24. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    Not sure it's time to do so, but let me get this out of the way. This is the Children's Home that I help to support in Manaus: http://www.larbatistamanaus.org/

Even if it's not chosen, I'm ready to take anyone there for a visit and/or for a donation.

25. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ready to make a donation, just let me know where to send it