Yanks Abroad: Flavors of the Week 2013-2014(R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bmo180, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin is looking good right now - just sent in a gorgeous cross. Hope I'm not giving him the kiss of death.

2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Heroics from Matt Hedges ... Zusi continuing to make light of that silliness about last season's run-of-play assists.

Berks and comoesa repped this.
  3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Me. With an eye to possible 2018 implications.

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Dan Kennedy just gifted Seattle probably the softest goal yet gifted in MLS in 2014.... Yikes.

Berks repped this.
  5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yikes at Dan Kennedy, Dempsey will probably technically get an assist from the league on that Neagle goal.

6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was honest to God awful - softest catch and he spills it.

7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really feel like he's worked on his game here. Good to see.

8. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    The bad news: Luis Gil has slipped into unused sub territory for RSL.

The good news: It seems to be mostly because the alternatives are playing so well. Such a nice game-winner for Grabavoy tonight, after receiving the ball from Velasquez.

9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Evans on for the final 20-ish minutes against Chivas.

10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Clint Dempsey with a very nice sequence for the Seattle goal where he receives the ball about 30 yards out, carries it to the top of the box between 3 defenders and as he draws them to him plays a nicely-weighted pass outside to Martins to finishes over Kennedy.

wixson7 and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Come on do some research, there's this thing called Google that's really cool.

Gil has had a nagging hamstring injury, wasn't in the 18 last week because of it.

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    But he was in the 18 today.

13. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    And his first game back means he's slipped into an unused sub? He just started 2 weeks ago vs. SKC when he had to be pulled off for that hamstring injury.

I remember when Robbie Keane was an unused sub last year for the Galaxy coming off an injury, apparently he slipped into being an unused sub too.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    #1764 ImaPuppy, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Yedlin was pretty good tonight overall and certainly good offensively. His service has been getting consistently better which is nice to see and he was his usual dangerous self in that regard. He is still prone to making defensive errors that are mostly lapses in judgement and don't seem like things that can't be corrected.

Still, he's a project defensively and I like my defenders to be able to defend consistently at the NT level (this has been something that has also plagued Lichaj when he's healthy..and the two players aren't dissimilar).

Overall I thought he had a good night though and made a few nice defensive plays where he didn't over-commit.

15. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    If you'd prefer a different phrasing, then fine, but Gil was healthy enough to play, and the coach went with another option instead. It isn't as if Velasquez has been 100%, either.

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    No, we all know how much you love to take a crap on MLS coaches that don't play young players, so your phrasing was very obvious. Luis was just an unused sub tonight who didn't even practice all week, nothing more nothing less.

UPinSLC repped this.
  17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from Lichaj lacking the pace and crossing ability of Yedlin.

Yedlin had a very good match.

18. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    #1768 ImaPuppy, Apr 20, 2014
    I think Yedlin and Lichaj are both exceptionally fast players. Also, Lichaj can absolutely cross the ball..

The advantage that Yedlin has over Lichaj is that he is 5 years younger and I expect that in 5 years time he'll be a star, and a staple in our NT setup.

I thought he had a good match. If you want to call it very good then I can't stop you, I don't vehemently disagree with you..we just saw the match slightly differently and not enough for me to make an argument out of it.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    #1769 Hararea, Apr 20, 2014
    That's complete and utter bullshit. Cassar played one young player (Velasquez) ahead of another (Gil).

EDIT: Here's my original comment on the players who were used ahead of Gil: "Such a nice game-winner for Grabavoy tonight, after receiving the ball from Velasquez."

If you've translated that into "taking a crap" on Cassar, it speaks to your agenda, not mine.

20. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright it's been downgraded to good lol.

21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    His biggest mistake was a stooping header on a cross that eluded a jumping attacker. He probably needed to flick it back over the endline because there were no forward or wide options.

22. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Yedlin was probably partially at fault for the pk conceded; he overcommitted 45 yards from goal and left Alonso in a really bad spot. The call itself was a horrible decision, but Yedlin has to stop relying on his speed to make up for his mistakes.

Dempsey was kind of passive at times; he spent a lot of time dropping deep again, which usually leads to him having less of an impact. That said, he seemed to be trying to facilitate offense a lot last night, and with average finishing could have had another assist or two. It is always positive, though, for guys to have an impact when they aren't at his best, and he had a direct hand in both goals.

23. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin is an exceptional young athletic talent. His major concern is match awareness and positioning at elite levels.
    Young players with elite athletic ability often come to rely upon these qualities at the expense of developing greater awareness.

Marvell Wynn has not improved substantially on these particular issues. Tim Ream (not that he is an example of elite athleticism, but he did make mental errors) is a player who has.

We will certainly know more as the season progresses.

Happy Easter to all!

COMtnGuy, Tom Collingsworth and Marko72 repped this.
  24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Per Scott Pierce on mlssoccer on April 17th, "Gil is back on the field training."

25. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is supposed to get forward by design. He's essentially a wingback in that system. I don't understand why this concept is so hard to grasp. He can't be in two places at once nor does Sigi expect him to be.