2014 MLS Referee Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Slaskwroclaw18, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it were an elbow, this would be an easy red. But it's not.

It's a shoulder that strikes the head, late. It's certainly a foul. Part of the shoulder hitting the head is due to the height difference, of course. But a bigger part of it is him hitting his opponent late for no reason. And when you end up with an aggressive arm into the head of an opponent, you're always going to be risking a red card.

The visual Jurisevic gives later, after he presents the card, makes me think that Ploeger told him it was an elbow. So perhaps he saw something that wasn't there. Still not sure that makes this a non-red card, though. It's close. To borrow a feeling from @colman1860 on the EPL thread, I'm okay with red, but I also likely would have been okay with yellow, too.

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoulder to head contact is the result, but I'm not as comfortable saying he targeted the head. If I was sure of that, I'd agree this is "easy."

And I can't agree the 4th had the entire sequence. For one, Jurisevic seems to make an elbowing motion later. Further, if he was absolutely certain it was 100% VC, he wouldn't have let Jurisevic continue with advantage (or, he likely shouldn't).

As my other post says, I'm fine with the red. But I agree this one isn't easy.

4. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I thought Stoica at a real tough day..... The second yellow card which led to the red on Amarikwa was probably warranted. I couldn't see if he made contact but it was certainly reckless. Unfortunately, the first yellow card was for simulation.... when Amarikwa was pretty much cleaned out in the box.

I also felt he bated Barnes into a YC. I was sitting right at midfield when he was taking a throw in (~38') and Stoica made a big fuss about exactly 2 feet by screaming at Barnes right as he had picked up the ball. Similarly, in the 45', the second Barnes picked up the ball, Stoica was motioning to hurry up. Barnes said something and out comes the YC.

I felt he was inconsistent with the YCs, time wasting on one team was not cautioned for the other and there was alot of dissent which seemed to build to a crescendo by the end of the game. I haven't seen a replay yet of the last red card so i can't speak to that, but overall this is the worst performance I have personally seen this year.

5. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Again, from being at the game, what really set him off (other than the YC for simulation) was a no call at midfield. He tried to go through two defenders and beat one and was tripped up pretty obviously by the other. Unfortunately, Stoica didn't have the greatest angle on that play and may not have seen it. AR1 was looking right at it and gave nothing. Amarikwa spent the better part of the next injury stoppage talking to AR1.

I think a foul call on that play would have settled him down significantly.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see him pushing the ball between players and then jumping over them, ultimately landing on his shoulder. There might be some contact between players... but I think "pretty much cleaned out" is more than a stretch here.

You might be right. But I would hope a professional can calm himself down enough--if he truly felt aggrieved by a simple missed foul in the midfield--to avoid getting sent off over frustration. If it's truly down to a single missed call, then his behavior is totally on him.

If it's a pattern of incidents that can be pointed to, then you have to start asking if the referee team shares part of the blame.

7. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He was reaching for the card as soon as the foul occurred. If Toledo said something, it wasn't until all the Fire players surrounded Stoica.... Whatever happened to the fines for crowding the referee?

I honestly think it was for DT.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several (three?) time wasting cards today and two simulation cards already. Wonder if two certain things were discussed this week or if it's just a coincidence.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All hell is breaking loose in Columbus....

Real simple DOGSO call is turning into a nightmare. And the red--if it's coming--hasn't been shown yet.

shawn12011 repped this.
  10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp, that got butchered. Ended up with a yellow card. Video will be coming soon, I'm sure. Not pretty all around.

shawn12011 repped this.
  11. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How was that not a DOGSO? I would flunk my assessment right there. Just wow.

12. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Yeah, I don't know how they messed that up. I would imagine that might be highlighted this week.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He must have thought the second player was able to provide cover. That's the only explanation. But it really wasn't even close. Another lesson for us referees in taking the appropriate "snapshot."

He also seemed confused or concerned over inside vs. outside the box. Again, that didn't seem that close either, unless the AR had conflicting information for some reason.

14. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was bizzarre in Columbus. By the rulebook, that has to be a red. That said, Johnson looks like hes playing for the red. Im not sure the foul denied the goalscoring opportunity, as much as the decision by the player to take the foul over continuing the play. So while it was absolutely the wrong call to give a yellow instead of red, I cant say I'm upset as a fan that Johnson's decision to fall wasn't rewarded.

15. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this is a text book example of making yourself bigger by raising your arm. I too am impressed that Stocia did the wait and see. I thought he handled it really well.

16. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My goodness he really overthought the situation. Ugly mechanics and terrible thought process.

17. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I kind of agree with this. EJ did fall pretty easily. Although when you're running at speed it doesn't take much to knock you down. Seems like a guy with a big paycheck and no goals would probably be trying to score as hard as possible.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnson doesn't have the opportunity to go down, though, if the defender doesn't put two hands on his shoulders from behind. It's not like he went looking for contact.

And now an SFP red in Columbus for a two-footed tackle. I'm eager to see that one again. By the language of some of the instructions we get, the case for red was definitely there. On one look, however, I'm not sure it truly endangered the safety of the opponent, as it cleared out the ball well before there was any contact.

shawn12011 repped this.
  19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or to make it one more yard into the penalty area.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  20. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree, and I think in this situation his escalation got to the point that he had to be dealt with before someone got hurt. Maybe things could have been handled differently with him earlier, but by this point in the game, he really had to go--esp. after that lunging foul. Had he stayed, the next one would not have "just missed"

21. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A shade offside or no? I can't really tell because of the angle. Thought he was on when I watched it live, but the replay raises some questions. I feel like this is one of those where if Farrell had played a hard trap, the flag probably would've gone up. (Disclaimer: Yes, I am a Revs fan. I've got no problem with this goal, just wanted to see what you guys think.)

[​IMG]

22. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    The ball's already off his teammate's foot in this screenshot. I think he was even enough to be called onside. Especially since the benefit of the doubt is supposed to go to the attackers.

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ball is already two yards off the foot of the Fire player in the photo and I still think he's in an onside position at that moment. Goal was good.

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shawn12011 repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got back from the game and didn't see it live. Watching it live, @MassachusettsRef's take seems fair. A 'soft' red, but that's what you risk with a challenge like that.