U-20 WNT: 2014 Campaign

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lunatica, Jan 6, 2014.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well the actual group of death is prolly Group C. England came second in UEFA qualifying, losing only to France in the final. South Korea won the AFC. Nigeria always has a representative team and gets out of group. Mexico can play tough defense and get draws.

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    #252 WPS_Movement, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    Yeah, South Korea made the U17 WWC Final 4 years ago (actually they won it).
    Some of those players have gotta be on this team.

3. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to know why they're back to the nurse kits when they had the Waldo kits in qualifying.

5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Maybe because the U-23s are wearing the Waldos?

6. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    I know, right? I am getting the feeling that they just keep washing the kits and then rotating them through the teams.

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Are they that cheap?
    They only have so many waldo kits, and so many nurse kits? They have to share everything.
    Do they share the same sports bras and microfiber underwear as well?
    Let's hope they at least wash the socks. Those could get stinky.
    U.S. Soccer needs to raise the budget on this stuff.

8. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #258 holden, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    Well, the way they probably look at is is why buy a set for every age group when they don't play that often? How often do the U-23s even play? It looks like they played 3 times in 2013, 6 times in 2012, 0 times in 2011, 9 times in 2010, and 10 times in 2009. So that averages to less than 6 games a year over the past 5 years. Is that really worth buying a whole new set of kits just for that?

You also have to figure they're just using left over stock from the full NT and not buying new kits for the youth teams, since they're wearing the 2012 and the 2011 kits in 2014. So, that's really cheap. Though, I'd've thought they'd start using the Centennial kits at some point, but I guess not since they were special for that year or something?

9. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    I am not actually complaining. It seems like a pretty OK place to economize. Better to put the money into the programs.

10. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I'm not complaining either because I like both of those kits better than the 2013 and the new 2014. ;)

South American and ForeverLOST108 repped this.
  11. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The 2014 kit = Tiger Woods shirt

Should have put the Tiger Woods logo on it.

12. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    U.S. U-20 WNT Heads to Olympic Training Center as 2014 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup Prep Continues
    The U-20s will play two scrimmages on Saturday, April 19, against college teams, taking on UCLA at 12:30 p.m. PT followed by USC at 2:30 p.m. PT.
    Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (4): Jane Campbell (Stanford; Kennesaw, Ga.), Katelyn Rowland (UCLA; Vacaville, Calif.), Madalyn Schiffel (USF; Citrus Heights, Calif.), Morgan Stearns (Virginia; San Antonio, Texas)
    DEFENDERS (8): Brittany Basinger (Penn State; Purcellville, Va.), Maddie Bauer (Stanford; Newport Beach, Calif.), Christina Gibbons (Duke; Raleigh, N.C.), Laura Liedle (Stanford; San Diego, Calif.), Katie Naughton (Notre Dame; Elk Grove Village, Ill.), Kaleigh Riehl (BRYC; Fairfax Station, Va.) Cari Roccaro (Notre Dame; East Islip, N.Y.), Andi Sullivan (Bethesda SC; Lorton, Va.)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): Morgan Andrews (Notre Dame; Milford, N.H.), Carlyn Baldwin (BRYC; Oakton, Va.), Rachel Hill (UConn; Rollinsford, N.H.), Rose Lavelle (Wisconsin; Cincinnati, Ohio), Mallory Pugh (Real Colorado; Highlands Ranch, Colo.), Liz Slattery (Florida; Cincinnati, Ohio)
    FORWARDS (7): Makenzy Doniak (Virginia; Chino Hills, Calif.), Summer Green (North Carolina; Milford, Mich.), Darian Jenkins (UCLA; Riverton, Utah), Savannah Jordan (Florida; Fayetteville, Ga.), McKenzie Meehan (Boston College; Scituate, R.I.), Margaret Purce (Harvard; Silver Spring, Md.), Rebecca Rasmussen (Georgia; Golden, Colo.)
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/04/04/11/08/140404-u20-wnt-otc-domestic-camp-roster-rel

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    jenkins back from exile with the u23s.

doniak back from injury.

i believe in these two.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Jenkins was sent to planet U-18

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Horan apparently couldnt get time off from her day job

16. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    knew that. don't know why i wrote u23s.

thanx for the correction.

17. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    April camp scrimmage # 1 : UCLA 2, U20 WNT 1.

18. Chili Dog

Chili Dog New Member

Mar 24, 2013
    yikes...and that's missing a goalie and forward on ucla? Who scored for each side?

19. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    White & Lavrusky for UCLA. Don't know for U20s.

20. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    April camp scrimmage # 2 : U20 WNT 2, USC 0.

21. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not entirely surprising. U-20 is like a freshmen/sophomores all-star team, but UCLA is like a four-year all-star team.

By several measures (overall, Pac-12 finish, NCAA finish), UCLA > WSU :D > USC. So this reasonably slots the U20s somewhere in the middle.

By today's measure (Sat 19 Apr), WSU 1-0 Portland @Beaverton Nike HQ :thumbsup:

22. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Heard it was an own goal by Rosie. Went to clear a corner kick off back post and went of her knee into goal.

23. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Team head coach Michelle French has called up 27 players to a camp at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, California, running from May 11-18. It will be the USA’s penultimate domestic event before the 2014 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup takes place in Canada in August.
    Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Jane Campbell (Stanford; Kennesaw, Ga.), Katelyn Rowland (UCLA; Vacaville, Calif.), Morgan Stearns (Virginia; San Antonio, Texas)
    DEFENDERS (8): Brittany Basinger (Penn State; Purcellville, Va.), Christina Gibbons (Duke; Raleigh, N.C.), Laura Liedle (Stanford; San Diego, Calif.), Karlie Mueller (Texas A&M; Sioux Falls, S.D.), Katie Naughton (Notre Dame; Elk Grove Village, Ill.), Morgan Reid (CASL; Cary, N.C.), Kaleigh Riehl (BRYC; Fairfax Station, Va.), Cari Roccaro (Notre Dame; East Islip, N.Y.)
    MIDFIELDERS (9): Stephanie Amack (Stanford; Pleasanton, Calif.), Morgan Andrews (Notre Dame; Milford, N.H.), Carlyn Baldwin (BRYC; Oakton, Va.), Joanna Boyles (North Carolina; Raleigh, N.C.), Cameron Castleberry (North Carolina; Raleigh, N.C.), Rachel Hill (UConn; Rollinsford, N.H.), Rose Lavelle (Wisconsin; Cincinnati, Ohio), Mallory Pugh (Real Colorado; Highlands Ranch, Colo.), Andi Sullivan (Bethesda SC; Lorton, Va.)
    FORWARDS (7): Makenzy Doniak (Virginia; Chino Hills, Calif.), Summer Green (North Carolina; Milford, Mich.), Savannah Jordan (Florida; Fayetteville, Ga.), Kodi Lavrusky (UCLA; Yucaipa, Calif.), McKenzie Meehan (Boston College; Scituate, R.I.), Toni Payne (Duke; Birmingham, Ala.), Margaret Purce (Harvard; Silver Spring, Md.)
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/04/28/14/33/140428-u20-wnt-may-otc-training-camp

24. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That back-line will get torched in the world cup. I stand by my prediction.

South American repped this.
  25. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    darian jenkins on again, off again relationship with the team/ coach continues.